Honda Element Owners Club banner

Aftermarket fog lights

119K views 378 replies 174 participants last post by  Civicjai80 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of any after-market fog lights that will fit into the Element's existing fog light holes (housings) - make sense?... If you do, let me know.
:twisted:
-pdub

#2 ·
they seem pretty standard sized to me.. when i finally get mine installed, i will measure and take a look so you can do a real comparison.

Anyone else who has their fogs in already or has a good suggestion out there?

#3 ·
I too am looking for "really bright" after-market driving lights that will fit in the fog light housing. I'd also like to add an additional pair between the front license plate holder. I drive to Baja alot and having really bright lights make a huge safety difference for me. Any suggestions on lights, installation tips, links or other options that may be available would be appreciated. I'm not worried about voiding warrenty, not a stock Element item, etc. I just would like something that works well...any suggestions???
I have a Sunset Orange EX. Thanks!

#4 ·
have you driven your Element at night yet? those headlights take over, they are really, really bright.. infact we could not tell the difference from the high beam and regular (it is a spread condense difference but not that noticable)..

then add the fogs and you really should not need anything else.

just curious!

#5 ·
Yes. I have driven with the brights on and they work great!!! Where I go in Baja California, the added safety of aftermarket lights really make a difference out in middle of nowhere (besides looking out for cattle that graze on the side of the road at night). I have them on my F-250 Crewcab and my Suburban for the drive down and they really help. With gas prices the way they are, I'm looking forward to spending $175-$195 for gas instead of $400-$450 (about 1600 miles round trip from my house. I'm into surfing and recently built a house in a little town called San Juanico(see www.juanyjuan.com) and love to go as often as I can. If you have any suggestions, let me know....I love driving my Element!

#8 ·
Draw tite (the hitch manufacture) is selling a set of fog lights that mount into the OEM mounting points in the bumper. They have a model that is remote operated. There is no drilling through the firewall. I will be installing these this coming weekend. I will post my opinion of the installation and some pictures of the lights when I am done.

#9 ·
Hey All,
I'm considering throwing in a set of cheap foglights, most likely the often-mentioned $20 WalMart lights. I'm most likely going to just wire them into the parking lights as I've heard other people have done.

I was wondering though, if it would be stupid to have them wired so that they're on whenever the car is on, serving the function of daytime running lights.

I suppose I could still add a switch to the system in case I ever wanted to turn them off. I'm not sure how bright they are; maybe I could make sure to aim them downwards.

So what do you guys think? Would having them on all the time be a dumb idea?

If not a dumb idea, then does anyone have any suggestions for a wire to top into?

eKennedy

#14 ·
[quote:c566beb3fb="eKennedy"]Hey All,
I'm considering throwing in a set of cheap foglights, most likely the often-mentioned $20 WalMart lights. I'm most likely going to just wire them into the parking lights as I've heard other people have done.

I was wondering though, if it would be stupid to have them wired so that they're on whenever the car is on, serving the function of daytime running lights.

I suppose I could still add a switch to the system in case I ever wanted to turn them off. I'm not sure how bright they are; maybe I could make sure to aim them downwards.

So what do you guys think? Would having them on all the time be a dumb idea?

If not a dumb idea, then does anyone have any suggestions for a wire to top into?

eKennedy[/quote:c566beb3fb]

eKennedy,

I don't think is dumb or bad idea, but remember they fog lights. Meaning the light beam is focus forward for optimum lighting, just like a flash light. Daytime running light are not focus, they are just very bright even on a bright sunny day. Just aim the light correctly so you don't blind on coming
traffics and there is enough light shine forward so others will see you coming.

Please, DO NOT! wired them directly to parking light, now that is not a good idea. Wired them as the manufacturer suggested, I posted a paragraph on wiring fog lights in response to another gentleman who wired them directly to his parking light.

Do it in a safe way, you glad you did.

Good luck,

#15 ·
Thanks for the advice. I installed all the wiring according to the manufacturer's instructions.

But I did do one modification I want your opinion on.

Rather than send the power lead from the switch back to the battery, I instead tapped into the DRL fuse (#12) in the fuseblock. My desire was to make it so the lights would not stay on unless the car is on.

Am I correct that this is ok because the switch is only powering the relay and not the lights themselves? I mean, since its only powering the relay, it should handle ok straight from the fuse?

Let me know what you think.

eKennedy

#16 ·
[quote:87708457bc="eKennedy"]Thanks for the advice. I installed all the wiring according to the manufacturer's instructions.

But I did do one modification I want your opinion on.

Rather than send the power lead from the switch back to the battery, I instead tapped into the DRL fuse (#12) in the fuseblock. My desire was to make it so the lights would not stay on unless the car is on.

Am I correct that this is ok because the switch is only powering the relay and not the lights themselves? I mean, since its only powering the relay, it should handle ok straight from the fuse?

Let me know what you think.

eKennedy[/quote:87708457bc]

eKennedy.

You are absolutely correct!

You'r using parking light's(or DRL's) power to enable the relay, so there is no straints on circuit. If I understand you correctly, instead of using parking light power to enable the relay, you want to use fuse #12 in the fuse block to enable the relay. This is ok too, if fuse #12 turn on and off with the inigtion. You could look to see if power is present or not by turn on and off the inigtion. If power on fuse #12 stay on continously, this might not work out for you.

This is how I wired mine! :idea:

I wired as the manufacturer suggested, but instead of running the switch back to the battery, I ran it to the parking light. Using parking light's power to enable the relay. In this way, if I forget to turn off any lights, the chime will warn me.

If you have any question, let me know. :?:

Good Luck, :)

#18 ·
i heard that these are only 39.99 and come w/ a harness, are brighter, and fit the factory slots better. Anyone have success or pics of this install?

also, im looking to wire my fogs (either these or walmart proburners) to the factory headlights and not deal w/ the OEM switch. How do i go about doing that? do i need to purchase special wires or fuses? i dont have clue 1 about this stuff.

- Mike
mooremr6779@yahoo.com

#19 ·
HTTP://HOME.COMCAST.NET/~MRMONTYM
:idea: I HAVE A LINK TO MY HOME PAGE DIRECTING YOU TO THE CYBER WHITE FOG LIGHTS INSTALL. MY WIFE AND I PUT THIS TOGETHER IN PDF FILE.
THE CYBER WHITES ARE AVAILABLE FROM WALMART AND ARE OF APPROX. 55 WATTS. MORE THAN ENOUGH TO BRIGHTEN YOUR NIGHT/DAY.
I RECOMEND INSTALLING THESE OEM TO WORK WITH THE HEAD LIGHTS.
THESE INCLUDE A WIRING HARNESS, A 15 AMP FUSE, A 30 AMP RELAY AND AN ILLUMINATED SWITCH.
I STRONGLY RECOMEND THIS SETUP.
MOLDING WERE OBTAINED FROM A HARDWARE STORE. MY TOTAL COST FOR THE PROJECT WAS APPROXIMATELY 55.$ INCLUDING THE OEM SWITCH. A CONSIDERABLE SAVINGS COMPARED TO DEALER PRICING.
OEM SWITCH IS ON ORDER AND I WILL POST ANOTHER LINK WITH CLOSE TO PROFFESIONAL INSTALL WITHIN A FEW WEEKS.

FEEL FREE TO ASK ME ANY QUESTIONS. :idea:
[/url]

#20 ·
I re-routed my harness using the original oem from my element. Didn't have to drill or go through the firewall.

See new thread oem install cyber whites and oem switch not seccesarily in that order.
It's in a pdf file on my homepage on that link and the www below.

saved me 440 dollars.

In the meantime...enjoy life beyond your walls. :idea:

#21 ·
I have read about using an Aftermarket fog light kit, but am not sure which one is the best and easiest to install. Could you show me where to find out about the different kits and what ones work the best. I am leaning toward the factory kit because I know it will work but would also like to save some money, for other mods. Thanks for your help. :roll:

#22 ·
installing fogs is a matter of preference. There is not one way better than the other. If you have the dollars then go with the originals. Oem s offer features such as aiming them and easy light removal for blown out bulbs.
I chose aftermarket so as to challenge myself and save a few hundred dollars.
perhaps in ten years I'll buy oem when their cost evens out to what aftermarket is today.
shop around and see what you preffer.
Also see cyber whites after market threads for additional information and ideas.

#23 ·
I installed the Cyber whites last night
I like them and dont mind sticking with 55 watt bulbs
I bought the fog lights not driving lights so aiming is more coarse since I am dealing with a wide beam.
I found the install to be simple and straight forward
I bought the OEM switch so everything looks good inside and used the wiring harness provided with the lights complete with relay
One thing I can offer is to cut the bumper holes with a dremel or very fine cutting instrument so the lights can fit very snuggly in the openings
Mine are pretty tight but I wish I have cut -3mm all around
The Cyber Whites fit snug in the opening and they are easy to mount using the provided bracket and zip ties
Will post picts sometime this week

#24 ·
Pleas do post one or two photos sometime.
I think you may have simplified something. Lots of people are going to be asking.

#25 ·
i suggest not using a dremel (unless you're very good at it) to cut holes for lights. i lost control for a quick second and ended up cutting beyond the circle pattern edge.

just use a regular box-cutter to cut the soft plastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.