Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my new Eclipse installed today. This is Eclipse's brand new model that (finally) plays MP3's. All I can say is - it completely rocks.

More components to come soon; MB Quart front components, 2 Eclipse 2-channel amps (1 for front components & 1 for sub), a 12" sub, complete rewire, etc.).

Here's the pics...

Installation notes:

You'll need 2 speaker to line level converters - 1 for the speakers and one for the sub.

The line-level sub output on the 3413 is non-fading so I basically just set it to a good mid range and it now adjusts automatically with the volume.

I have an EX and the AUX jack no longer works only because the 3413 has no AUX input.

I used (and had to slightly modify) a honda mounting and pocket kit.

In any case, this 3413 is temporary, I'm waiting for a higher end (5000 series) Eclipse unit that just started shipping - it should be in in a couple of weeks.

This unit has an independant fading subwoofer control, & AUX input so it is a better match up. It looks similar to the unit I have now except it has a motorized face.

Best,
eMass

·
Registered
474 Posts
Very cool. I have a Kenwood MPV-619 headend. It's not "high end" audio but gets the job done. It doesn't have any external jacks for hi & lo filters. My Infinity components did come with their own high pass filters. I also need to add an external low pass filter for my sub. I'm going to try to post pics when the system is complete in about 1.5 weeks.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote:0759d29dc4="Seattle"]Nice install. I had a Sony XES system (Very high end) in my Civic but it was stolen. I am not sure if I will upgrade the Element stero but I do have some amps that I am not using.

Patrick[/quote:0759d29dc4]

Good luck finding a place for those amps in the E!

I wanted to put in a single 4-channel amp somewhere but there is just no place to put it at all.

So I'm attacking the problem a different way - by using 2 separate (and much smaller) 2-channel amps.

I'm going to remove the sub from the enclosure up front and put the amp (and hopefully the crossovers) for the front speakers in that cavity. I'll let the deck power the rear speakers since I'll fade them down pretty low anyway.

And then I'm going to put another 2-channel amp in back on the passenger side cargo wall. I'm currently fiberglassing an amp enclosure that will fit into the pocket that's there and up the wall a bit. It should hide the amp nicely - it will be carpeted and have a mesh front panel for access to the amp.

I've already started taking pictures of the building process, I'll post pics when it's done but for now - here's a couple of teaser pics...

->eMass

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote:80b5fae2ba="Nate"]I like what your doing. I thought of maybe doing the samething to the other side(drivers) and put a 10" sub there.[/quote:80b5fae2ba]

Thanks! :D

You might be able to accomplish that but I'm not sure that even with a custom built box for that side of the cargo area you'd have the depth or box air volume necessary for a 10". An 8" might work however.

I've come to the conclusion that if anyone really wants to hide a couple of serious subs (I guess I define serious as 10" or better :) ) in the Element then the spare simply has to go - I don't see any way around that. Period.

I've put killer systems in my last 4 vehicles - and let me tell you the $#@*&^! Element is by far the hardest to fit components in. It is a complete PITA to find any hidden but useable space.

Just a note in general to anyone condidering the drivers side back panel area - remember that the gas filler is there - so be extra careful with any drilling around there.

Best,
->eMass

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did you try to remove the back pockets, they look removable. I am gonna look farther into it. I figure with that remove, should be able to make a 0.5-0.75 cubic foot box. Enough for a sqaure 10" kicker sub. That would sound fairly good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm really interested in what people do for sub enclosures. I haven't received my Element yet, but I'm already trying to plan out my sub install. Really would like to get a front stage... Anyone think the front console could be modified to allow for a 10inch Kicker L7?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I looking also of where I can add so subs to my E too. I was considering 2-4 6" bazookas under the rear seats but do not know if they will really give deep bass (8's won't fit of course).

The other thing I was considering was a couple of 8's or 10's under the rear seats firing down with maybe 1/2" to 1" gap between the floor and the the speaker. I would then port the enclosure out the front. With doing this I might be able to mount the amps on the back on the boxes in the rear cargo area.

I am still toying around with the idea but what do you think? I am trying to have cool tunes with being able to pull the subs when I need to fold up the seats to haul something.

Does anyone know a good set of subs that doesn't need alot of space for the box?

Dano
NightHawk Black Perl 4WD DX Auto

·
Registered
49 Posts
I really recommend the Kicker Solo-baric L7's. I have a single 10inch and it hits harder than a set 12s I used to have. It's dual voice coil and can handle 300Watts RMS per voice coil. Also it only requires .66 cu. ft. of space for a sealed box, and 1.25 cu. ft. for a ported box.

I believe the 8inch woofer only needs .33 cu. ft for a sealed box, and .66 cu. ft. for a ported box.

http://www.kicker.com/ShowPage.cfm?filename=l7solosub.html&menu=SUBWOOFERS

NE1 know the cu. volume of the factory sub enclosure. I thought I saw it in a post before, but now I can't seem to find it. Seems like it was around .3 or .5 cu. ft.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hegg:
Tomorrow I'm installing my 8" kicker solo-baric sub in my modified console. The amp will be above the passenger side rear wheel. I enlarged the console hole where EX sub would normally go. I then built a semi- recessed custom enclosure. The face of the 8" kicker sub needs an enclosure that is just slightly wider then the current console. The exposed portion of the sub cabinet is actually approx. 9.5" at it's widest and about 5.5" at it's smallest width. The 9.5" portion will portrude about 1.3" out of the console. I'm just waiting for the final installation tomorrow to post pics. So far, I have a Kenwood MP3 head end and Infinity all around. The sub install tomorrow is the final piece.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nat:
Can't wait to see what you've done. Did you make your enclosure from fiberglass or MDF? I too have a Kenwood deck, and the Kenwood Music Keg (nothing like 10gigs of MP3s coming through the CD change control) 8) . I was considering getting JBL speakers as crutchfield has some on sale for about $80 instead of $150.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.