Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Sony headunit for my wife's '04 LX Element. In addition the wiring harness, they also tried to sell me a dash kit for instillation. The factory stereo is the exact shape of an aftermarket headunit.....do I really need a dash kit to install a new Sony headunit?

This is the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MEX-BT3800U-Receiver-Player-Bluetooth/dp/B0032FOJPM

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
715 Posts
NO. All you need is a wiring harness. That Sony will screw right into the brackets your old radio came off of and will fit perfect.

Ooops. Not sure about the '04, but I know it fits the '09.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO. All you need is a wiring harness. That Sony will screw right into the brackets your old radio came off of and will fit perfect.

Ooops. Not sure about the '04, but I know it fits the '09.
That's what I was thinking anyway. Besides, they said they didn't have a dash kit to sell me which made me think it might be because I don't need one.

Anyone else wanna weigh in on the need for a dash kit on an '04 LX?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
if you are talking about the sony double din touch screen you will need a trim ring, but not a dash kit. The head unit should come with a trim ring. My double din pioneer fit perfectly and only needed the trim ring.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
oops never mind i just saw the link for your head unit. I believe the LX is a single sin so it should fit without the kit. I have the EX so I have the double din.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you are talking about the sony double din touch screen you will need a trim ring, but not a dash kit. The head unit should come with a trim ring. My double din pioneer fit perfectly and only needed the trim ring.
Its not double din, just the standard CD player size deck....same size as the OEM that came with my E.

·
Registered
53 Posts
ihad a single din premier that didnt require the dash kit as it bolted right on to the factory kit. i upgraded to a double din jvc arsenal and although it did bolt right on after taking off the cd pocket, it stilll leaves a gap and the trim ring did not fit right over it so idk if anyone has any tips to make it fit.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I personally think the radio looks better mounted in a kit. Yes you can use the factory brackets and ISO mount it but I think you will be happier using a mounting kit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input! I'll try no kit and buy one if need be.

Also got some Kenwood 3-ways today so the E should sound a lot better this weekend!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
at my job we only carry american industries... anybody have any experience with the fit on those kits?? and it sucks cuz we wholesale and distribute to mostly all stores in south texas so no scosche down here, we do metra also but we dont carry any for the E :-(

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
at my job we only carry american industries... anybody have any experience with the fit on those kits?? and it sucks cuz we wholesale and distribute to mostly all stores in south texas so no scosche down here, we do metra also but we dont carry any for the E :-(
I believe you mean American International. Dash kits are kinda funny. I have dealt with Metra, Scosche, AI and Best Kits over the years and I have found that different companies kits work better for different vehicles. Metra might make a killer fitting kit for car X and the Scosche kit may not look as good for the same car. The last install I did on an E was a Kenwood double din nav unit and I think the customer had the scosche kit (it was a 2010 E) and the end result was very nice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe you mean American International. Dash kits are kinda funny. I have dealt with Metra, Scosche, AI and Best Kits over the years and I have found that different companies kits work better for different vehicles. Metra might make a killer fitting kit for car X and the Scosche kit may not look as good for the same car. The last install I did on an E was a Kenwood double din nav unit and I think the customer had the scosche kit (it was a 2010 E) and the end result was very nice.
:-D yes i did mean american international and i shouldve known that, dont know where industries came from... ive been meaning to try the AI cuz well like i said thats all we have and the only problem i have with the factory kit is that the trim doesnt fit around the radio so ill give the AI a shot and see how it bolts up

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: turns out a dash kit is absolutely necessary. Well, not exactly required but it would look stupid without a dash kit. Even though the aftermarket HU looks to be the same size as the stock stereo, it is slightly less wide. Without a dash kit, there would be gaps on the left and right of the aftermarket HU.....maybe 1/4 inch on each side.

Worth the $15 I spent on the dash kit! Thanks everyone for your advice!

·
Registered
715 Posts
You should have gotten a trim piece with the HU that fills in the space. I put a similar Sony in mine and it fit just fine.

I currently have a Clarion in mine and it fit just like the Sony did. No kit needed, but mine is an '09 model which may be a little different than yours.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
You should have gotten a trim piece with the HU that fills in the space. I put a similar Sony in mine and it fit just fine.

I currently have a Clarion in mine and it fit just like the Sony did. No kit needed, but mine is an '09 model which may be a little different than yours.

You have no gap what-so-ever when you use the dash kit. You can see a minimal gap in your install, although it's not bad, some folks would not want it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts