Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't laugh - I am almost serious! :twisted:

What would it take to rip out the rear diff and put in a manual locking limited slip aftermarket rear differential connected/with a transfer case?

Maybe a Subaru rear differential on an element?

Or maybe an aftermarket product like this:

http://www.differentials.com/uncategorized/auburn-ected-locking-differential

Are there any limitations other than $$ and the general crazyness of the idea?

:-D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did you go anywhere with this?

Any ways, there is info out on the interwebs (and here) on how this rear-end works with a split view and and a basic diagram. From what I could tell it is not serviceable and it to be replaced as a whole. No parts available for any of the internals (at the time when I looked).

Basically, the way it operates is that you have two hydraulic pumps. One driven via the trans-axle and the other via the rear-end itself. When there is a pressure differential greater than 2% the clutch engages and you have power at the rear. The max speed for the rear to be engaged is about 10 MPH. This will work in either forward or reverse as it is a head-less system and it just does its thing. Does it stay engaged once the pressure differential is detected or does it go away after the two pumps stabilize? I don't know. IMHO, the literature can be read either way.

You could buy a rear-end off of eBay and then gut it and use the parts you have found, maybe. Expensive, yes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts