Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done my fair share of searching, and could not find a solution to my issue, but it is always possible i overlooked something, which is why i need all you smart people out there to help me out.

My E: 2003 element EX
Today I got a new Pyle PLDN74BTi touch screen stereo, along with the proper wire harness to connect it to the factory wires.
I used solder to connect the adapter harness (stock plug adapter) to the harness that came with the head unit, and all connections are solid and fully insulated so none of them are crossing or shorting.
I also followed this guide to connect my factory amp and subwoofer to the new aftermarket head unit:
elementownersclub (DOT COM) /forums/showthread.php?t=52097

So here's the main issue, the AM/FM radio works, i can hear everything clearly, but the subwoofer is not doing anything.
Also, i have absolutely NO sound at all when I try playing through the CD/DVD drive, iPod connector cable that came with the head unit, bluetooth, SD card, USB, or AUX (RCA).

What I am thinking is that it is at least mostly hooked up right because all speakers work well when on a radio station (except for the subwoofer). my speakers are wired normally as you would do any regular aftermarket stereo, AKA they are not RCA cables.

Is there something I'm missing, or something I did wrong? or is the new head unit i got simply just a dud?

I should state that the factory radio worked perfectly well, i just wanted a touchscreen head unit.

Thank you in advance for your answers!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The radio should have 2 blue wires (a blue & a blue/white), one is for a power antenna and the other is for turning on amplifiers. Pretty sure you used the wrong one, which is why it plays with the radio (antnna wire hot) and not with everything else (radio off = antenna wire off)

The sub isnt doing anything because it isnt connected anymore. You have an amplified system & need to use the correct wire harness, which uses the RCA connections & not the speaker wires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The radio should have 2 blue wires (a blue & a blue/white), one is for a power antenna and the other is for turning on amplifiers. Pretty sure you used the wrong one, which is why it plays with the radio (antnna wire hot) and not with everything else (radio off = antenna wire off)

The sub isnt doing anything because it isnt connected anymore. You have an amplified system & need to use the correct wire harness, which uses the RCA connections & not the speaker wires.
Ill definitely try switching those blue wires, and i have the sub wired with a spliced RCA cable, mimicking the same thing as the metra harness

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I switched the wires, having the blue/white wire connected instead of the solid blue wire, and I am now getting audio from both radio and all other sources, but I am still stumped on the subwoofer issue. I have looked at the wiring of the metra harnesses, and it seems as though I did it correctly, but must be missing something.
My head unit has one sub output (and its yellow, if that makes a difference), and I spliced a RCA cable so that the shield (negative) is connected to the red/white wire from the original subwoofer plug, and the center pin (positive) connected to the red/blue wire, which should be the positive and negative connections going to the amp to the subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The issue with the sub is you used the wrong harness, and it's not your fault because there is a LOT of confusion around this topic.

The fronts/rears & sub all need to be run from RCA signals, and you currently have the fronts/rear running from the speaker output & the sub running from the RCA output.
So why is the sub not responding? Because your deck is SCREAMING into the amp's front & rear inputs and whispering to the sub's input, so the amp is responding by playing the fronts & rears magnitudes louder than the sub. (fronts & rears getting 10v signal, sub getting 1v signal)

Because your deck only has sub output & you are using the OEM amp for everything, I would connect the rear left speaker output from the deck to both the subwoofer & rear left speaker wires in the harness. You can only do this because you are not running speakers with it but sending the audio signal into the OEM amplifier. This will balance out the sub with the rest of the speakers but you will lose all control over the sub, what the rears play the sub will play, and the OEM has the necessary crossovers so that wont be an issue.

OR you can get a deck with 3 sets of RCA outputs.

OR you can buy a 4ch LOC (Line Output Converter) and convert the speaker outputs from the deck into RCA signals, and emulate the ideal option of having a deck with 3 sets of RCAs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because your deck only has sub output & you are using the OEM amp for everything, I would connect the rear left speaker output from the deck to both the subwoofer & rear left speaker wires in the harness. You can only do this because you are not running speakers with it but sending the audio signal into the OEM amplifier. This will balance out the sub with the rest of the speakers but you will lose all control over the sub, what the rears play the sub will play, and the OEM has the necessary crossovers so that wont be an issue.
Please forgive my noob level on this particular topic, but what I am interpreting this to be is that I should splice a rca cable (i have tons of these available) and plug it into the left rear output on the HU deck, and have the positive/negative (from RCA cable) connecting to the positive/negative left rear wires on the harness (and disconnect the original wire thats going into the HU?), as well as having those connected to the red/white and red/blue wires on the factory sub plug?

I'm sorry if i have worded this in a confusing way, but I just want to make sure we are on the same page

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or connect the left rear wire (thats on the harness going into the HU) connect to the left rear (harness towards main factory plug) and sub (black/white plug with the red/white and red/blue wires)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
figured it out, connected the sub wires to the harness and all is well, sub is working great, my HU doesnt have options to control the sub anyways so the end result would have been the same whether i had the right harness or not i think.

Thank you very much for your help, I greatly appreciate it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts