Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! First time caller, long time listner. :wink: Anyway, just took delivery of a DX and I need to put in a stereo. Anyone have an idea what the dimensions are? Has anyone put an aftermarket stereo in and can you share the manufacturer/model?

Peace.

M and T

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
4 1/4" high 7 1/4" wide is the dimensions I have. It can go to 9" wide without any problem it appears.

As normal there is not stated manufacturer of audio system on it. I am not sure off hand who they used for it. Really go with what you like...

Pioneer, Aiwa are two great and reasonably priced ones. Of course there even more impressive systems it depends what you can afford & what you want out of it.

Good luck, look forward to hearing what you get & how is went!

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's a single DIN for use with an adapter kit which will give you storage under the aftermarket unit. Or if you choose to go bigger you can utilize a double DIN head unit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got my DX on Friday Last week. The poor guys at Circuit City had never even seen an Element before so could not help with the install. After getting their best guess for a dash kit I set out to install it myself (I got an Aiwa CDC-Z127 CD Player - it matchs the other interior lights kind of).

After getting the dummy panel off I noticed the 4 screw holes in the 4 corners facing my. Figuring that I could get the bracket for this easy I went back to CC - no luck. So I proceeded to Home depot and bought 2 metal brakets and after so cutting, drilling and bending (of the brakets, not the car) I got the deck mounted with the snap-in dash kit - it looks nice now - see below.

Love my Element!!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
dsmasters,

Nice job. It looks good. It does not sound too easy to install however.

I know when I took my element to my local garage to install XM radio (yes I promise pictures will follow), they had no idea how to put it in. It took them a while, but they did figure it out.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
very nice, and yeah i know we had a struggle even with installing an aftermarket stereo in the Integra.. they are a beast..

with the element being so new, i would not have tried Circuit City, or any of the chain places yet.. they are challenged (at times) working on things that have been around for awhile.. but Very impressed on your job well done.. KUDOS!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Once they come out with the brackets everything else is easy. I have a Toyota Tercel that I installed a stereo in not too long ago and it had a similar setup (double high with the poket on the bottom). On the Tercel you just unscrewed the 4 screws in the front and then unscrewed the brackets from the stereo.

I drove for 6 hours w/o a stereo and went straight to Circuit City. I live in the Los Angeles area and cannot get anywhere without a traffic report.

Anyway, you might be able to find something for another car that may work but this dash is setup different then anything else that Honda has.

Dano

·
Registered
335 Posts
Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com is a great source for Do-It-Yourself installs for people who wouldn't normally attempt it. When you buy a head unit, you get both the dash adaptor and wiring harness adaptor for FREE! Speaker wiring adaptors are provided with any speaker purchase as well. In addition they include step-by-step instructions with illustrations for removing and reinstalling any parts required to get your components mounted. This makes it practically plug-n-play to steal a PC phrase! Their website allows you to view only products that will fit in your vehicle which removes any doubts about suitability (the Element has not been added to their database yet... too new!). You can save hundreds over a specialty shop install and they have technical support people who man the phones (800 number) until 12 midnight eastern time to walk you through any problems. And NO, I don't work for them but I have dealt with them many times in the last 8 years and never had a problem.

I emailed them specifically about the Element and mentioned that the DX models come with no sound system as standard - which would be of great interest to them. I hope to hear back from them about when to expect details on systems and components that will fit the 'E'. I'll report back on this when I hear anything. [/url]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question about hooking up aftermarket subs

Hi, I have the eclipse AVN-5435 installed in my car and I cannot seem to get the factory sub to bump like it used to. The sub is much weaker now and my bass seems split up between my sub and door speakers, giving me almost no bass from the actual sub. I hooked it up by wiring the fact. sub to the RCA wires but I can't seem to get the same performance out of the sub as I did with the factory radio. Can someone please help me! I miss my thumping bass!

·
Chief Has Been Element Owner
4,759 Posts
Wow, you managed to dig up a 4 year old thread...kudos for trying the search :)

Actually swapping out the HU pretty much negates the sub and stock AMP. Keep searching around as there is a lot about this very subject.

Oh, and welcome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts