Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
So, just a quick update. On our new years cross country trip, we lost a fog light on our return leg (after about 5k miles of winter weather).

I just popped them open to put new bulbs in, and though there was only mild condensation on the lenses, behind the reflector housing was nearly full of water in both of them (hence why one bulb went down). It looks like the weak spot in the sealing was the upper flat portion of the gasket inside the housing. (I know, pictures would be useful right now, but I was in a rush and didn't snag any).

This time around, I used some black RTV gasket sealant on the rubber grommet where the wires enter the housing on the back plate and the entire sealing edge of the back plate before putting everything back together with new bulbs. I also followed cursh's example and put some dieelectric grease around the ground connection and positive bulb connection inside the housing. I didn't do the full shrinkwrap since the H3 bulbs are designed to have the exposed connector and I didn't want to make modifications that should really be solved by fixing the housing. I'll report back with any new developments (after the next bulb dies :razz:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
If any of you guys are looking for OEM style plugs and terminals check out www.cycleterminal.com I was gonna use those to perform this mod, but, decided to tap a relay into a spare parking light wire to trigger the fogs so I wouldn't have to do anything inside the car

·
Registered
39 Posts
First off, big thanks to both novasteve74 for the photos & to towster for the link to cycleterminal. Without you guys there is no way in hell I could have done this mod.

I used a set of fogs from amazon & Deezy's fog light mounts. The OEM switch I found on ebay for $20. I'm really happy I took the time & used the OEM switch instead of drilling a hole in my dash for a rocker switch. I like that its on the headlight switch so one switch turns off both the headlights & fogs.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts