Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Orange Element

Lately, within first 15 - 20 mins of driving, my E shuts off while clutch is pressed. Usually while on highway getting off exit, I believe it may be the AIC valve. Steering and brakes go in the process, I can restart but its pretty terrifying since there's always a dog in the car and often times a child. No dashboard lights.

Possibly related, I dont know. A week ago my lower radiator hose just fell off, antifreeze everywhere, came off of radiator end. The hose was not in bad shape, though it has been the same hose since ive owned the car (purchased in 2014). The car did not overheat and was only running for 30 mins or so. I replaced the hose and fluid and it ran fine. Today, drove less than 10 miles parked car. When I got back in to start it up the check engine light is on. Ive become pretty scared to drive lately.

Any input would be appreciated 馃憤

Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
Welcome to the EOC Kylee. :)

Sounds like you may have 3 separate problems.

I think you are on the right track with the AIC valve on the first issue. Not a terribly difficult repair.

Sounds like you have the second issue under control, but when the engine has cooled down to room temperature, check to make sure the coolant level is topped off. There is this "burping" procedure to get your coolant level all the way full.

Any of the big chain auto parts stores will scan your check engine light code for free. Get the code and tell us what it is on this site, and we can help you more on what's going on there.

Hope this helps. I wish you well! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the EOC Kylee. :)

Sounds like you may have 3 separate problems.

I think you are on the right track with the AIC valve on the first issue. Not a terribly difficult repair.

Sounds like you have the second issue under control, but when the engine has cooled down to room temperature, check to make sure the coolant level is topped off. There is this "burping" procedure to get your coolant level all the way full.

Any of the big chain auto parts stores will scan your check engine light code for free. Get the code and tell us what it is on this site, and we can help you more on what's going on there.

Hope this helps. I wish you well! :)
I really appreciate your input, thank you!

Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
OK, it's actually called the Idle Air Control Valve.

IACV

It can cause the problem that the OP mentioned.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
So the code was p0172, this code has come up several times in the last year or so, ive changed O2 sensors. Could the IAC Valve cause this? My code reader has the option to erase code but it failed every time I tried. One time this code disappeared after cleaning around my gas cap. Any input is appreciated. Thanks 馃

1 - 6 of 6 Posts