Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My air bag light has been on for sometime now and I will be taking it in to get it checked out but in the meantime does anyone know if there's a way to turn the light off myself?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Honestly, if you're taking it in to be serviced, that's probably the best option.

The SRS indicator can come on from any multitude of 'problems'. Proper diagnostic of the system requires connecting the HDS computer to the system and pulling what ever DTC is stored or in the event there isn't a DTC, locating the problem in the electrical harness.

This one isn't an issue that you (or anyone) should take 'pointers' or 'repair tips' from over the internet. Some things really are best to be handled by those with the right 'toys'. ;-) especially since you're taking it in anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like some sort of fault in the system. No you won't be able to turn the light off yourself. Let a service technician diagnose the problem and then the light will go off once the SRS system goes through it's self-check cycle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same problem. I reset the SRS light myself with a paperclip to see if the lights came on again. But then the lights came back on so I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it for a faulty belt buckle. This was covered under lifetime warranty and didnt cost a cent except for driving it there and a day lead time. Also, I kinda knew it was the belt buckle because immediately after the srs light came on the second time, I noticed that the belt buckle indicator would not consistently turn off and on when I unbuckled and buckled it on.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
might have something to do with this too.

06-009

February 5, 2008

Applies To:
See VEHICLES AFFECTED

Warranty Extension: OPDS Unit or OPDS Sensor Triggers SRS DTC(s) 15-1, 15-2, 15-3

(Supersedes 06-009, dated September 21, 2007)

Updated information is shown with asterisks.

BACKGROUND

*NOTE: Because of a class action settlement, the warranty extension coverage for the OPDS unit and the OPDS sensor on 2002 Accords, 2002-04 Civics, 2003-04 Civic Hybrids, 2002-04 CR-Vs, 2003 Elements, 2002 Odysseys, and 2003-04 Pilots purchased or leased between April 13, 2002, and November 7, 2006, is now 10 years or 157,500 miles, whichever occurs first. For more information, refer to Service Bulletin 06-085, Warranty Extension: Vehicle Warranty Mileage.*

Several vehicle models may have a problem with the OPDS (occupant position detection system) that causes the SRS indicator to stay on. Typically, one or more of these DTCs will be set:

^ SRS DTC 15-1 (faulty OPDS unit or OPDS not initialized)

^ SRS DTC 15-2 (faulty side airbag indicator circuit)

^ SRS DTC 15-3 (faulty OPDS sensor)

To ensure continued reliability with the OPDS, American Honda is extending the warranty on the OPDS unit and the OPDS sensor to 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

This warranty extension does not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss, or any that has been issued a salvage, branded, or similar title under any state's law. To check for vehicle eligibility, you must do a VIN status inquiry

·
Registered
730 Posts
My '09 does this when I drive with my arm resting on the passenger seat or if I put something in the seat (like my laptop). It will turn on and then back off at random. I just thought it was detecting the weight being added to the seat?!? :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts