Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Element for 4000 miles, and have had to take it back to the dealer twice because the A/C compressor has clogged up. The first time it happened it turned out that the dealership didn't install the environmental filters like they should have, this time, they can't even give me a reason. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? I don't park under trees, I live in Florida and pretty much have to run the A/C full time, and love this truck. I would hate to have it turn out to a non-reparable problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you sure they said compressor and not condensor? I dont now how your compressor could be "Clogging" its a sealed, very high pressure system. If anything was loose it would leak long before it clogged. If it is the condensor, the thing that looks like a radiator on the front of your car, just GENTLY rinse it with a hose everytime you wash the E.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
perhaps it was condensor...I am going to the lot monday and speaking to cust serv boss about it. I was really more interested to see if anybody was having this problem

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live in Florida as well...and my AC blows like the Artic Clipper...what is clogging?...the filters are part of the air handling and reside behind the glove box (they are not really part of the AC system as much as air circulation ssystem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I have been able to glean from two dealerships is that the a/c kits originally didn't have the filters included (use the same ones as a Civic) so some dealerships didn't put them in from their own stock. As a result, leaves from our many lovely oak trees clogged up the system and the condensor freezes up or the drain gets plugged up. If the filters had been in place, this would not have happened. It should have been fixed the first time, but the dealership didn't do a good enough job of cleaning the sytem so the residual gunk clogged it a second time. I also found out Monday that dirt-dobbers love to build their nests in the drain opening, causing a back-up of water. The overall result of all this is inconvenience on my part, two Honda Complemantary repairs, and the use of a Lexus for an afternoon. To fix the problem, just blowing the hoses isn't good enough. They actually need to dis-assemble the system, scrub down the condensor, blow out the hoses and pipes, and maybe even replace the existing filters. About 4 hours work apparently.

I am really interested to hear if anyone else has had similar problems, or if anybody else got their cars without the filters. If so, did the dealerships contact you or just wait to hear from you when problems developed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You may not like it...

Your going to need to check your drain line on your own on a regular basis for clogging. Just poke it or blow it out. It's easy. My girlfriend blows it really well.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
You realized you replied to a 5 year old thread...:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks

I thought the point was to accumulate info for people so they could fix their problems?

Thanks ramblerdan.

·
Registered
164 Posts
A/C problems

Good advice, regardless of the age of the original post.
FWIW.. Indeed it is old but worth the discussion. The leaves in the condenser ( directly in front of the radiator) will raise the head pressure and generate excessive heat for the cooling (radiator) system. The high pressure switch (located in the liquid line) will cut out the compressor to protect the system. If leaves get past the air intake grill (located at he windshield wiper area directly in front of the driver) and find their way past the cabin filter (don't have pics of the internal works) the fan could shred and blow them into the evaporator coil. (a highly unlikely scenario given the intake screen and filters) If the evaporator coil gets plugged enough to block the air flow over it, then it could start to freeze up. This is moisture on the face of the coil that freezes due to blocked air flow over the evaporator and subsequent reduced low pressure in the system. It's a good idea to back wash the radiator and condenser whenever you are doing a detailing or every six month's. Again this is dependent on environmental factors such as bugs, leaves trash etc. and the miles driven. :) E pluribus

·
Registered
164 Posts
Backwash/rinse

Maybe "backwash" wasn't a good choice of words. What I am refering to is taking the garden hose and rinsing or washing the radiator and condenser from the "back side" as opposed to the air flow that enters in the front of the condenser and radiator. This gets rid of bugs etc. It will not get rid of 100% of the trash that is stuck in the fins but it will help and certainly better than nothing. If there is a lot of trash/bugs in the core and fins it would be best to drain and remove the radiator and wash it good this will also give you better access to the back side of the condenser as it gets the brunt of the trash anyway. Hope this clarifies what I meant by "backflushing" .:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh, ok.

Yes, like cleaning an home air filter. The wording had me thinking of an internal servicing. You know, like an (E)nima.

·
Registered
164 Posts
EnEma!!!

Dang VB, you could have gone all day without painting that picture... LOL :lol:garden hose, backflush, my eyes are watering. O.K. how about "back wash"!!!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
A/C Problem 2003 Honda element

Isn't it ironic? sound like a song huh? well, I bring in my element for it 70,000 mile check up leave out of dealership and 1 hour later my a/c is blowing hot air. Bring it to honda to check out the problem and they tell me that the clutch has melted on the compressor causing the compressor not to run causing the a/c to go out? Can anyone tell me why this may have occurred? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Melted?

I have seen burned out clutches and glazed clutches but I have never seen one melted. Love to hear the dealers explanation on that one. The only thing I can think of is that the magnetic coil fried and created a "melted" looking mess. Post some pics so we can all see it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AC Compressor problems

This has just happened to me- in fact, my "baby" is at the dealer now awaiting a new compressor. Has anyone else had this problem?

Just in the last week or so, since it's gotten really hot here, whenever I've been moving and have the AC on, expecially on "MAX" I've had a large strain on the engine, then loud knocking from the right front of the engine... just where the compressor is. The verdict is a new compressor, but what caused a 4 year old compressor to go bad? No, I didn't get the extended waranty... it's my first honda and honda's are "supposed" to be so reliable!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts