Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just doesn't sound feasible to me. Took e to the shop. no A/C. Was told in order to repair back to working condition that compressor,condensor coil and condenser cooling fan would need to be replaced.. Was working fine and just quit on me going down the road. Can anyone tell me does this sound on the up and up. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
21 Posts
doesnt add up, unless you hit something and it smashed the cond. & fan motor. hes missing other essential compoonents that also would need replacing

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just doesn't sound feasible to me. Took e to the shop. no A/C. Was told in order to repair back to working condition that compressor,condensor coil and condenser cooling fan would need to be replaced.. Was working fine and just quit on me going down the road. Can anyone tell me does this sound on the up and up. Thanks Tim
Me too. 88k miles driven in New England. Too soon for a/c to fail. Dealer wants $1100 parts and $500 labor for compressor and/or coil, clutch, and refresh. I am finding a lot of air conditioning problem posts on the internet. Some E but more CRV. This is awful!!! :x

·
Registered
278 Posts
Some E but more CRV. This is awful!!! :x
The 2nd gen CRV has an a/c problem where when it fails it usually dumps metal bits throughout the system. The only fix is to replace -all- the a/c components, and it is very expensive.

AFAIK the Element a/c doesn't fail this way.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'd have another shop or dealer service center take a look for a failed relay or fusible link. Sounds like the place you took it to just figured the problem is the came as the CR-V's they've seen without actually doing any testing/diagnostics.

BTW another small thing that will stop your AC in its tracks- a plugged orifice tube/orifice. Any tiny bit of dirt in the system can plug this up. Happened on my '04 Camry. Dealer tried everything to get the system working without checking the orifice tube. A customer who does commercial HVAC work told the tech working on my car about the orifice while I was talking with him. 30 minutes later I had a car with working AC. (Thank goodness my experience was under the 3/36 warranty!!)

Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If the fan stopped working, it might have built up pressure and damaged the cond and compr. But there is a safety switch. Get a second opinion without them knowing what the first diagnosis was.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i had a 2003 honda civic. the fan stopped working; no air would come out of the vent. didn't matter if it was heater, just fan, or ac. i took it to the holda dealership and it ended being just an $80 relay replacement. really doubtful that you have to replace all of those things the shop is telling you to replace. usually its a relay or the fan motor itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.