Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I need a new air filter for my '06. It uses the cylindrical one. Anyone have any recommendations? I checked prices on the web and the range is all over the place.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Assuming here that you have a cold air or short ram intake. You should just be able to clean and re-oil the one you have now. Look at the K&N filter charger kit.

If that's not the case, just get the intake tube diameter and buy any cheapie air filter from Autozone or eBay. Or cough up the $50 and get a K&N (not what I personally would do)

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Hi all, I need a new air filter for my '06. It uses the cylindrical one. Anyone have any recommendations? I checked prices on the web and the range is all over the place.

You can never go wrong using the OEM filter. Your local dealer should have it for about $23.

You can get them online for $17.00

Honda Parts

·
Registered
23 Posts
FYI I just got a K&N for my element for $48.10 shipped from filtersandintakes.com. Best online price I could find and believe me I spent some time searching. Considering the free shipping they got it to me quickly also.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I thought washing oil filters went out of style in the 60's. If I keep mine for 200,000 miles, I still won't have paid as much in throw away filters as one of those K&N things cost.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I thought washing oil filters went out of style in the 60's. If I keep mine for 200,000 miles, I still won't have paid as much in throw away filters as one of those K&N things cost.
I think they might be talking about air filters?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think they might be talking about air filters?
That's what I meat to say "Air Filters". Old folks can remember the oil bath air filters on the old cars that were a real nasty mess to clean. Paper filters are great. Just pull them out and toss them in the trash can when they get dirty.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I love my k&n filters! There easy to clean and I have a 97 F=150 with the filter I bought in 98 still working great! I kept a paper filter on hand so when I cleaned it I can pop in the paper!

·
Registered
38 Posts
when i was younger i was ok with the k&n. now i dont have time to waste on the junk.

it really doesnt do much of anything as far as horsepower or gas mileage. nothing really noticeable at least.

also i dreaded having to wash the filter, dry it, then oil it and let that dry too.

took waaaay too long. also it got freaking messy.

now, i just pop in the 12 dollar fram filter every couple oil changes. sooo much more convenient. seriously, i dont think i'll ever go with a k&n again.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Interesting article. I'm gonna stay with what Honda recommends=
The genuine stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Frank828... Im with you all the way. I use to use a K&N on a '69 Bronco when I was younger and it seemed to be ok. But back then, I didnt bother me to wash em out with gas, reoil, install, and wipe everything clean.

On my 03 Element, I just get a paper one from Walmart when I notice it is a little dirty. In the meantime, If I check it and it looks ok, I just rap it on the ground a few times (gets rid of the small birds), vacuum it inside and out and reinstal the thing. Oh yeah... I vacuum inside the filter box as well.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Interesting article. I'm gonna stay with what Honda recommends=
The genuine stuff.
Ditto...stay with OEM and you cannot go wrong. Been there done that with the CAI and I switched back to the OEM filter system and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You guys are going to kill me on this one ! I turn my air filter a quarter turn every six months , saved me a ton of cash , the 05 and earlier are round , so I just turn mine so often , it just gets dirty , where the air comes into the filter and its large enough , so not to deminish performance !

RUBY

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like to change my air filters at 15k dealer wanted $26, went to auto parts store got a STP air filter for $14.99.....................

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll make a plug for K&N...

The K&N filter drop-in filter works just fine in my K24 Accord, 145k miles so far on one filter and it doesn't burn a bit of oil. I'm gonna get one for my wife's E. It's not that hard to clean and re-oil. Besides it gives me somthing to tinker with. Paper may filter more, but that doesn't mean that a K&N doesn't filter very well. I'm sure the paper one is easy to manufacture, but it's not necessarily the optimal material to get best performance.

Heck, I know that Toyota dealerships sell CAIs for Scions, and they are under full warranty if the dealer installs the part. Re-oil properly and don't overdo it. The only caveat is if you go too heavy with the oil and screw up your MAF sensor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts