Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made a "CAI" today using only a 3" diameter piece of abs pipe and some rubber hose. This setup uses my factory air filter. Home depot had a bin of 24 inch abs pipes in different diameters. I bought a 3 inch diameter pipe for $5.33. I used a piece of rubber hose that was 1/2 inch outside diameter, 3/16 inch inside diameter and about 12 inches long that I already had at home ($free). First, I took out the battery. Then I removed the air silencer box assembly and stored it away but kept the corrugated rubber hose that attaches to the air filter box. Then I took the 1/2 inch rubber hose and cut a slit down the middle lengthwise. I took that hose and wrapped it around the hole on the fender that the air silencer box went through (bottom photo). This protects the abs pipe from the metal edge and helps hold it in place. This was probably the hardest part of the mod. Next I cut the abs pipe in half so it was 12 inches long. I cleaned up all the black sawdust out of the pipe and wiped it down a bit. I then pushed the end of the corrugated rubber hose inside of the abs pipe and twisted and slid it until the pipe hit the corrugated area. I then put the other end of the abs pipe through the fender hole. It sticks in there a couple of inches. Next I twisted the other end of the corrugated pipe into its original location on the air filter box. The pipe holds together by friction but is good and tight (top photo shows completed setup). I re-installed the battery, set the radio security code and clock, then went out for a little drive tonight. I could sure hear intake noise. I mashed the pedal and it seemed to have a bit more power but that could be my imagination. We'll see if I get any improved fuel economy out of this but I just filled my gas tank so I have a while to wait - plus I may have more full throttle episodes so mpg will be compromised for a while. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did something similar, but instead of using abs pipe, I used 4" air vent duct. It was all free:) Let me know if you notice any difference from the stock air intake please.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh yeah

Very fine post. CAI on an intelligent budget approach, Element style, I applaud your efforts. Many thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'd cut out the fog light hole to get a bit more ventilation in there. Looks good and almost factory. I like the black ABS pipe better than the metal pipes I've seen people do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm gonna try this for sure, and I like the idea of cutting out the fog light hole to let in more air!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Careful with that one, you don't want water in there.
Good Call! Hey do you guys think its really necessary to take out the battery to do this?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This mod mainly eliminated all bends from the front of the pipe to the air filter opening. I have foglamps so no direct fresh air from there.
...Hey do you guys think its really necessary to take out the battery to do this?
Well, it made it easier to get the big clunky air silencer box out. I'm not sure I could have removed it otherwise - maybe someone has? Anyway, since the battery was out I cleaned the battery tray area as well and it just made the install that much roomier.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Whats the radio security code?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rbm

I improvised with the inexpensive intake fix but I wanted to get a CAI but I'm having trouble finding one for my '07. Can someone help me out?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I improvised with the inexpensive intake fix but I wanted to get a CAI but I'm having trouble finding one for my '07. Can someone help me out?
Injen makes a CAI specific for the 2007 Element. Also the AEM shortram intake for the Civic Si also works on the Element.

I had the Injen intake on my old Elememt and my gas mileage decreased by about 5mpg which was probably relative to the mean sound it made causing my right foot to feel much heavier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks good. On mine I used a 90 into the fender well so it is directed down. I do really like the hose idea on the opening. I might have to borrow that idea. Great work.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks good. On mine I used a 90 into the fender well so it is directed down. I do really like the hose idea on the opening. I might have to borrow that idea. Great work.
I like your 90 - I may have to add that to mine. So, did you notice any power or mpg improvements with your setup over time?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I noticed a little bit more power, as for mpg maybe 1. But its hard to tell, i have to keep my foot out of it long enough to really find out. I had also put in a drop in k&n filter. I looked at there hp rating and mpg but it really doesnt make that big of a difference, except you can clean it over and over again. I actually had the k&n cai on my ridgeline but took it off and made my own, which had the same increase, just about 300$ cheaper. But i still use a drop in on that as well.
I also did a custom exhaust. I wanted to try to stay with the honda muffler when i bought it, so i had a custom y done after the muffler, and had the resonator removed. Sounds good but i think i still want to replace the stock muffler. Im sure it is pretty restrictive still.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I noticed a little bit more power, as for mpg maybe 1. But its hard to tell, i have to keep my foot out of it long enough to really find out. I had also put in a drop in k&n filter. I looked at there hp rating and mpg but it really doesnt make that big of a difference, except you can clean it over and over again. I actually had the k&n cai on my ridgeline but took it off and made my own, which had the same increase, just about 300$ cheaper. But i still use a drop in on that as well.
I also did a custom exhaust. I wanted to try to stay with the honda muffler when i bought it, so i had a custom y done after the muffler, and had the resonator removed. Sounds good but i think i still want to replace the stock muffler. Im sure it is pretty restrictive still.
Thanks, good info. Driving habits really do dictate mileage results. NICE looking exhaust - looks factory. They should have made all Elements that way...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts