Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! First time poster (well not really, but I can't remember my old password and the email address it is attached to is no longer working).

Anyways.

I have owned my 2007 Element EX since October 2009 and really love it. I do my own basic maintenance on it and have a question regarding the air intake: What the heck is this lever and what does it to? (see picture).

I have looked at pictures and diagrams of a stock Element air intake and none of them show this lever.

I am assuming it allows more or less air into the intake, so my follow-up question is: What position should the lever be left in? I always inadvertently hit this lever when I am replacing the battery (or most recently the driver's side headlight bulb) so I want to make sure I am not costing myself some fuel mileage by having the lever in the wrong position.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Hah! I saw that and thought: "I wonder if my 2008 looks the same?" so I went out and looked. It's funny the things you never notice. Yes, my 2008 looks just like that only my whateveritis is turned 45° clock wise to yours. I would assume that it is there to cut down on intake noise as most cars I've seen have one that is similar although not sticking up like this.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hah! I saw that and thought: "I wonder if my 2008 looks the same?" so I went out and looked. It's funny the things you never notice. Yes, my 2008 looks just like that only my whateveritis is turned 45° clock wise to yours. I would assume that it is there to cut down on intake noise as most cars I've seen have one that is similar although not sticking up like this.
After hearing that yours was 45 degrees clockwise I went outside and fiddled with it. When I turned it 45 degrees clockwise it felt "loose" in the sense that the handle wiggles a little bit. Plus, from the picture you can see the battery's ground wire runs over the intake and I just discovered a plastic hook under the lever arm to hold that wire...so I am assuming that now it is in the stock, correct position.

But still, what the heck does this thing do?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
That, my friend, is some HEAVY reading.:twisted:
And equally intriguing, or sad I understood the whole thing. lol

S2000 exhaust w/ helmholtz resonator
Is this yours or a pic taken off the internet? If its yours, any chance you could measure the dimensions of that chamber?

Ive been trying to plan out a new exhaust, but this concept really has my gears turning. I wonder if one could drive a car, monitor the freq curves of the exhaust, and in theory design a chamber or chambers to tune the exhaust note. Just cut some holes & weld on some chambers.
Precisely tuned you could eliminate drone freq via cancellation and potentially tune to amplify lower freq to give the car a deeper muscle rumble. In theory anyway. lol

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,604 Posts
Some sort of intake air noise reduction, Most all manufactures have used them, that snorkle air filter snout on uncle farts '63 chevy 283..

I removed the 'handle' on my E and never noticed much difference, so its back to stock.

Whats with all the k&n filters, Is there some benifit to those?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Whats with all the k&n filters, Is there some benifit to those?[/QUOTE]

No.. Expensive.. A pain to clean. And lets too much dirt into the engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts