Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Element SC
2 Posts
This couldn't be more timely. Just bought an 08 SC and the SRS light is on. The prior owner told me it's been on since a boulder hit the front passenger wheel in 2011 and all of the airbags deployed. He said the Honda dealer said the new airbags were fine and didn't know why the light was on so they never worried about it. I don't see an entry on the Carfax for the airbag recall being done either. I'll be going to my Honda garage and see if they can give me the scoop on it. Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just test drove an 04 Element. Everything was great on it and checked all of our boxes. Only issue was the airbag light on the dash was on the entire time we drove it (with my wife in the passenger seat). The owners are elderly and hadn't driven it in a while. They said they got the airbag recall stuff done but didn't know why the light was on.

What reasons would cause the light to be on?
Worst case scenario, what work would have to be done to fix it? I want to factor it into our purchase price if necessary.

We're having a garage do a pre-purchase inspection tomorrow and I plan on having them check but just wanted to educate myself first. Thanks!
I have 04 Element EX, several times I had airbag light on, would take to dealership, airbags under warranty much longer. In my case they would change the seatbelt which had a switch. Of course had airbag changed. All airbag lights fixed for free. My 04 Element I got after totallying 04 Element in 2 wheel drive running off 90 degree turn, up toAWD.
Love it no wheel slippage. Now at 192,000 miles all with Amsoil. I feel I will drive this one to Antique.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just test drove an 04 Element. Everything was great on it and checked all of our boxes. Only issue was the airbag light on the dash was on the entire time we drove it (with my wife in the passenger seat). The owners are elderly and hadn't driven it in a while. They said they got the airbag recall stuff done but didn't know why the light was on.

What reasons would cause the light to be on?
Worst case scenario, what work would have to be done to fix it? I want to factor it into our purchase price if necessary.

We're having a garage do a pre-purchase inspection tomorrow and I plan on having them check but just wanted to educate myself first. Thanks!
There is actually an active recall on element airbags. I think there is a website you can check for that. I took mine (2004 model) to a honda dealership recently to have this sorted out (its free obviously!). For mine it was the passenger airbag. I had gotten a couple of letters from Honda about it...
good luck!

·
Premium Member
2008 Element SC
2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had it taken to a shop and it is the seatbelt sensor.
Is there anything in writing that says Honda will replace that part for free? The dealership acted like I was crazy when I mentioned that.

Also, if this light is on (for this reason) does it mean the airbags will definitely not deploy if the car is in an accident? I have seen mixed responses to this when googling.
I told you before in my first post to you guess you didn't read it.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,119 Posts
This couldn't be more timely. Just bought an 08 SC and the SRS light is on. The prior owner told me it's been on since a boulder hit the front passenger wheel in 2011 and all of the airbags deployed. He said the Honda dealer said the new airbags were fine and didn't know why the light was on so they never worried about it. I don't see an entry on the Carfax for the airbag recall being done either. I'll be going to my Honda garage and see if they can give me the scoop on it. Thanks for all the info!
There is a good chance when the airbags went off it triggered the pretensioner in the seat belt buckle to go off as well.

If this was the case they would not be covered under warranty for any reason.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2003. After the air bags were replaced, the SRS light was on. The problem was the switch in the driver's side seatbelt, which the dealer refused to cover under warranty. $300. I took the buckle apart, thoroughly blew out the switch with electronic cleaner, put it back together and reset the SRS with a paperclip, per KevShea's post above. Presto; fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I may not be talking the same Air Bag light, so please lead me to the correct post, I tried to find one but...

I have a 2007 Element and the Passenger Airbag Light on the dash between the two air vents, not the one in the instrument cluster, comes on (which says OFF) randomly as I drive with no one in the passenger seat! if someone is in the passenger seat it does not come on, so the airbags are active.

Why is this coming on randomly? Is something wrong? Thanks!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts