Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003, which has been a joy! I am from a "Honda family" with a total of nine Honda's of varying models and ages.

Before I go to the dealer about the airbag light, please let me know if you have had experience with this, if it was readily fixable, and if I will be shocked at the cost. I bought this vehicle, used, in 2004 and have never had to go back to the dealer.

Thanks!

Tony

·
Registered
63 Posts
The airbag light came on in my 2003 as I drove it off the lot this past March. I didn't notice it till I got home though. The dealer offered to pay for it to be looked at (they were a GM dealer, didn't have the tools to look at a Honda, supposedly), but I never went. It's still on, so I'm interested to hear what people have to say as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got this indicator too. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on cost before I visit the dealer? (assume worse case scenario- full replacement)

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm not sure what the diagnostic procedure is on the E. The dealer will charge in the ball park of $90/hr to diagnose. Some dealers will apply diagnostic fees to the cost of the repair. I have no idea what the repair could cost. It depends on what is actually wrong with the car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is probably not relevant to your situation but I noticed the last few days the Passenger side airbag light was on saying that the airbag was off (only got the car a few weeks ago, 2007). There was a container of change on that seat - just for the heck of it I finally took the container off and put it on the floor. The light went out. :twisted:
JJ

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is probably not relevant to your situation but I noticed the last few days the Passenger side airbag light was on saying that the airbag was off (only got the car a few weeks ago, 2007). There was a container of change on that seat - just for the heck of it I finally took the container off and put it on the floor. The light went out. :twisted:
JJ
Most new cars are built with a pressure sensor in the seat. In my girlfriends truck, it will say "Buckle passenger" if someone is sitting in the seat without the seatbelt on. I would imagine your case is related to that.

My Airbag light came on yesterday, and I will be headed up sometime this week to use my dads OBD-II to check for where the problem in the airbag system is.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress so that others can use this thread as a reference in the future.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
The issue at least with the 2003 and 2004 Elements is the sensor isn't very good from what I can figure out. If you were to literally press on the side bolster nearest the passenger door the light will go off. If that doesn't do it then press on the seat . Generally mine is caused by the side bolster. A few presses in different locations and the light goes out.

I had the dealer check this out when I first got the Element and it has never thrown a code so I don't even care anymore. Just press on the bolster or seat and the light goes out.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
My Airbag light came on yesterday, and I will be headed up sometime this week to use my dads OBD-II to check for where the problem in the airbag system is.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress so that others can use this thread as a reference in the future.
My 2004 just lit up yesterday. Haven't done any wiring projects for MONTHS. I'd be interested in hearing avg costs on diagnostic/repair too.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
q's

I was thinking of picking up an ODB-II (if Pep Boys has something good), or from Amazon (this one).

Opinions?

Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My question for you is is the light Red or yellow. If it is yellow the fix that Larry said to do is good. If red my question is do you still have the origional battery? that might be worth the check also.

·
Registered
191 Posts
THE OBDII SCANNER WILL NOT WORK FOR THE AIRBAG LIGHT.

There are two seperate modules that are used to manage the Cars health.

Number one is the standard ECU, which controls nearly everything about the car from engine to electrical. The OBDII Scanner will read data from this Unit.

Module number two is the actual SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) module.

For Safety reasons, the SRS is NOT Readable by a standard OBDII Reader.

The SRS can only be diagnosed with the Honda reader from the dealer, or possibly another OBDII Scanner than has the ablility to tap in to the SRS.

I only know this because my airbag light came on, and my Dads OBDII did not see any codes. His OBDII has successfully diagnosed my car before, so I know it usually works.

If you suspect there is a major issue with your system, take it to a qualified mechanic. Your airbags and seatbelts are not systems to be messed with.

I suspected that my light came on because of a friend of mine jarring one of my sensors while slamming one of my suicide doors.

WHAT I LIST NEXT SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY SOMEONE WILLING TO MESS WITH THE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS:

First, buy the service manual from
http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementmaint.html.
I will not give details or a write up on how to reset the light. I believe firmly that if everyone knew how to reset the light, people would start resetting it when there could be a major issue.

Second, Buy the Honda SCS connector; Part# 07PAZ-0010100. You can find this on the bottom of the page where the manual is listed on http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementmaint.html.

Once you buy the Service manual, look near the back for the information on "Manually resetting SRS with the Honda Service Connector".

It will give you step by step instructions on how to reset the light.

The Manual is about $60, and the SCS Connector is only $10.

Both of these together will cost you less than one hour of labor at the dealer. I have purchased both of these, and ther service manual has saved me thousands of dollars.

I successfully reset the light, and it did not come back on.

SIDE NOTE: When you reset the light, if there is an actual issue with the SRS system, your light WILL come back on when you start your car again. The system sweeps your Airbags and Seatbelt systems every time your car is powered on.

Luckily, my light being on was just a fluke, so the reset worked.
BUT!
YOUR AIRBAG LIGHT BEING ON SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN LIGHTLY.

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

The main purpose of my entry here is to advise people NOT to buy an OBDII ONLY to attempt a diagnosis of the SRS module.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
???

WTF? I am set to get instant forum post notification via email, but haven't been getting any. Not even in the spam filter. Anybody else having issues?

Dallan,
Thanks for the info, but I already got theODBII scanner, and just discovered the same thing. If I HAD seen your post in time (missing notification), it might have saved me $30. At least I bought the cheapest one. I already have the service manual, SCS Connector is now next up. Hopefully I will have your good luck too.

Honda won't sell the SCS Connector via Parts? I only ask because they get the parts faster, and the price is similar to elsewhere with shipping. I looked in the Parts store and couldn't find it. Both old and new numbers, and by description as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
WTF? I am set to get instant forum post notification via email, but haven't been getting any. Not even in the spam filter. Anybody else having issues?

Dallan,
Thanks for the info, but I already got theODBII scanner, and just discovered the same thing. If I HAD seen your post in time (missing notification), it might have saved me $30. At least I bought the cheapest one. I already have the service manual, SCS Connector is now next up. Hopefully I will have your good luck too.

Honda won't sell the SCS Connector via Parts? I only ask because they get the parts faster, and the price is similar to elsewhere with shipping. I looked in the Parts store and couldn't find it. Both old and new numbers, and by description as well.

I actually ended up calling my local parts department at a dealer, and he told mt Honda will not allow the part to be sold to the general public. For good reason, I suppose. They don't want a bunch of people out turning off a very important warning light just for fun, ya know?

Anyway, the only place I found to buy it is H and A. I'd say give them the business anyway, they rock :)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Anyway, the only place I found to buy it is H and A. I'd say give them the business anyway, they rock :)
Looks like my notifications are working again... Majestic has it too, but H&A is a few $ cheaper. Processing purchase now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looks like my notifications are working again... Majestic has it too, but H&A is a few $ cheaper. Processing purchase now.

Very cool!! Let me know how that goes for you. It really should only take you about 5 minutes.

Also, in the service manual when it says you only have 4 seconds to do this, 6 seconds to that... It is very accurate. I had to start over three times :roll:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Dallan:
I just found your other thread under H&A. You didn't try a spade connector?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Very cool!! Let me know how that goes for you. It really should only take you about 5 minutes.

Also, in the service manual when it says you only have 4 seconds to do this, 6 seconds to that... It is very accurate. I had to start over three times :roll:
The connector arrived today.

Aside from losing my grip before I tried, I got it in ONE try. The light is now off, and seems to be staying off. However, I will give it a few days before I am TOO confident.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The connector arrived today.

Aside from losing my grip before I tried, I got it in ONE try. The light is now off, and seems to be staying off. However, I will give it a few days before I am TOO confident.
Good deal! I would suspect you are good to go!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts