Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After over thirty years of camping in tents we finally gave in to the fact that we are getting old. After months of research we bought a 2011 Aliner Sport Rear Dinette last weekend. Gosh, I'm as giddy as a kid on Christmas day. Here are the obligatory pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Very nice

Wow. That looks awesome. Congratulations!!! I was looking at teardrops and other campers a while back. I may have to look into these.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. That looks awesome. Congratulations!!! I was looking at teardrops and other campers a while back. I may have to look into these.
We thought briefly about a teardrop until we looked at several Little Guy campers at a dealer in Silver City New Mexico. They were smaller than the latest tent we use (Big Agnes Big House 4) and felt claustrophobic.

The best thing about the Aliner is quick setup. I can set it up in 30 seconds by myself. Fantastic!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Sweeeeet!! And just in time for the best camping season: fall!

:)
Yep. We never camp in the Summer: too hot and too crowded. That's why I got the Aliner without AC (it also would have made it heavier).

I don't think I'll worry about camping in the rain any more.:grin:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Nice lookin unit, Gary! Congrats! There's an EOC couple here in NC that bought an Aliner a few years ago and just love it.

I'm confused: a while back, didn't you post a pic or two of your E towing a pop-up? I remember it because it appears identical to ours -- a small Flagstaff.

.......... and I agree with you about summer camping! Our season is mid-Sep thru Easter (or maybe Memorial Day)!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm confused: a while back, didn't you post a pic or two of your E towing a pop-up? I remember it because it appears identical to ours -- a small Flagstaff.
Nope, not me. There are a few other blue E's on the forum you know...:grin:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Nope, not me. There are a few other blue E's on the forum you know...:grin:
Yup..... I was just doing some checking, and I confused you with someone else. :oops:

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's a pretty sweet camper man.

You said you did a lot of research... care to share some of your findings... why you choose this etc?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a pretty sweet camper man.

You said you did a lot of research... care to share some of your findings... why you choose this etc?
Quickly, off the top of my head:

- Teardrop (Little Guy): what we thought we wanted until we saw one (claustrophobic)

- Pop up tent trailers: Looked at a couple of new ones and decided that after the material got wet a few times and was folded up like that...they got stinky (something we discovered when looking at used ones) and they take some time to put up

- Sylvan Sport Go: wow, ultra lightweight, versatile, but takes frickin forever to erect (watch the video) and in the end it's just a tent on wheels

- Scamp 13: This looked like it was going to be the one until I stepped into it and found I couldn't stand up straight. Plus the fact that it was too tall to fit in our garage.

- Aliner Sport Rear Dinette: Fast setup, I can stand up in it (!), it fits into a normal garage, hard sides (cool in Summer warm in Winter), comes standard with sink, stove, fridge, Fantastic Fan and microwave and is pulled quite well with an Element.

There you go. Others may have different priorities but my main thing was to have something that was roomier than our tent that I wouldn't have to worry about putting it away wet (just wipe it off before folding it up).

·
Registered
209 Posts
if you don't mind me asking how did it compare price wise?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you don't mind me asking how did it compare price wise?
All of the ones above that we looked at ran from ~$8,000 to $12,000. The Aliner wasn't the cheapest nor was it the most expensive. In the end it didn't matter as although we could have gotten something cheaper, it wouldn't have been an Aliner.:roll:

For example: If you don't mind my asking why did you buy an Element when a Chrysler Mini Van would have been a lot cheaper?

See?:grin:

·
Registered
209 Posts
All of the ones above that we looked at ran from ~$8,000 to $12,000. The Aliner wasn't the cheapest nor was it the most expensive. In the end it didn't matter as although we could have gotten something cheaper, it wouldn't have been an Aliner.:roll:

For example: If you don't mind my asking why did you buy an Element when a Chrysler Mini Van would have been a lot cheaper?

See?:grin:
hahahahhaha

·
Registered
42 Posts
Choices

Great camper, was looking into a scamp, but now that I see urs I'm looking into more A pop ups. Just wanted to know why you chose aliner sport over say the classic model, and also why aliner? Are there other manufactures that make A pop ups?

Thanks, I looking to get one similar

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just wanted to know why you chose aliner sport over say the classic model, and also why aliner?
Weight and the fact that a dealer was relatively close (75 miles).

Are there other manufactures that make A pop ups?
Chalet. Unfortunately the nearest dealer was hundreds of miles away.

For a comparison of the two go here.

·
Registered
209 Posts
rock

Rockwood makes at least one A frame. There was on on Ebay when I wrote this but it has probably ended b the time you read this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A-Liner - how's it doing?

Hi Gary,

I have an '04 Element and like you, thinking of moving up from tent camping - getting too old :razz:

I've been looking at the A-Liner Scout (I believe it replaced the Sport model) and also the Ranger 10/12. All 3 units are between 1150 - 1350 lbs.

Looks like you've had your A-Liner for several years and I'd love your input on how it's working - especially if you've taken it West over the mountains.

Also do you have the Off-Road package?

Thanks!
Gabe

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
First off, welcome to the forum!

I have an '04 Element and like you, thinking of moving up from tent camping - getting too old :razz:
Been there, done that.:razz: Anybody want to buy a Big Agnes Big House 4 tent? Comes with footprint and vestibule. Used twice.:grin:

I've been looking at the A-Liner Scout (I believe it replaced the Sport model) and also the Ranger 10/12. All 3 units are between 1150 - 1350 lbs.
The Sport, which I have, is now called the Ranger 10. The Scout is larger and doesn't have the two burner stove (which we've never used).

Looks like you've had your A-Liner for several years and I'd love your input on how it's working - especially if you've taken it West over the mountains.
The only maintenance I've done is grease the wheel bearings once a year and renew some of the caulking.

Let's see: I've towed it to Quebec City, Canada, Bisbee, Arizona, San Diego, California, Galveston, Texas, and late last year, Saint Augustine, Florida. Visited Grand Canyon, Zion and Arches National Parks (gotta love the National Park Senior Pass. Best $10 I ever spent.)

Also do you have the Off-Road package?
Nope.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts