1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
359 Posts
It is cool to see people getting creative with the Element. Personally I think the Element looses a lot of its personality when the panels are painted to match. Maybe if they were painted a different color altogether. Like the prototype that Honda made with the silver color and the panels a blue color.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am curious how the painted-panel people have been getting the plastic panels to look as smooth as the metal ones. Bondo and lots of sanding? I wonder...

·
Registered
653 Posts
I agree that painting the panels to match the body color does dilute the E's personality considerably. The panels are one of the distinctive features that sets our favorite automobile apart from the rest. And I wonder how well the painted panels will hold up...

I did, however, really like the prototype blue panels with the silver paint. So, maybe the color combination is the key?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I think when the panels are painted it makes the E look more like every other SUV on the road....just doesn't do it justice!

Also....the picture of the back looks kinda like a VW Bus...or maybe I am just having flashbacks of a bad trip.....lol! (Teasin'!!!)

·
Registered
335 Posts
[quote:9615477dd8="hunterbase"]I am curious how the painted-panel people have been getting the plastic panels to look as smooth as the metal ones. Bondo and lots of sanding? I wonder...[/quote:9615477dd8]

The texture in the panels isn't that deep. Primer would fill it in before any color is shot. Painting the plastic isn't really that difficult, but I agree that it doesn't necessarily improve the looks of the "E". I like the contrast personally.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I guess if each plastic panel was removed, laid flat, and heavily coated a few times, maybe....

It is interesting to see the different approaches people are taking with painting their panels. How some paint everything but the aluminum-look parts, and others leave the roof plastic alone, etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The paint job was made with a special plastic cleaner to remove the silicone out of the plastic. There is a glue applied to the plastic and then I used a flexible additive to the primer and paint.

That came from the guestbook of the above link. Cool stuff.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for posting those pics. I have an SOP. Been contemplating painting them. Was unsure wat it would look like. Looks great, I might just have to do the same.

·
Registered
163 Posts
[quote:bc26d8c01d="StLouisPenguin"]I think when the panels are painted it makes the E look more like every other SUV on the road....just doesn't do it justice!

Also....the picture of the back looks kinda like a VW Bus...or maybe I am just having flashbacks of a bad trip.....lol! (Teasin'!!!)[/quote:bc26d8c01d]

The Element, painted or not, does not look anything like anything on the road today. The design inside and out is totally unique :!: With that said, an Element with unpainted panels looks like every other Element on the road. It is a personal preference but painting the panels makes our E's unique from all other Elements and from every other SUV on the road.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Guys, i have a silver E w/ all the panels painted and personally I love it. If you want to see some pics just email me at [email protected] and label the subject as E-Pics and I will send them right over and you can make your own judgements.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Element needs to be multi toned. The blue show car with the black roof was sweet, but really monochromed it doesn't interest me. The cool lines of the vehicle really get lost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts