Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen pics of the Gobi Stealth racks and it just what I am looking for in function and looks. But $1400. is nuts. I can't build my own so I have to buy. I need it to carry a heavy kayak (Aquaterra), bike(s) and misc household Beverly Hillbilly stuff. Of course, not all at the same time.
Is the roof predrilled to install the rack? I saw the panels on the roof, do they lift out to expose mounting area?
This is a 2010 LX w/out sunroof.

·
Registered
836 Posts
along the roof cladding you will see 4 sections that pop out, two on each side. when these are poped out you willl find mounting holes that you screw the rack down into, i think its like a size 10 hole or something not sure exactly the size but yes there are predrilled mounting holes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's usually the tough part. Now if I could only find a good Gobi style rack that not crazy expensive. $1,400.00 is a ton of dough for a roof rack.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
The mounting plates take standard 6mm (metric) bolts.

I made my initial set of mounts with 1 1/2" angle aluminum from the hardware store. I used parts of an old Yakima raingutter rack set. More recently I replaced the homemake parts with the standard Yakima mounts.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Thanks, that's usually the tough part. Now if I could only find a good Gobi style rack that not crazy expensive. $1,400.00 is a ton of dough for a roof rack.
You'll have to get in line!

With the aide of Twilightzero's mounts, I have very utility friendly options when needed. While I'd love to have a Gobi for the looks and utility, I get the use already for the most part.

·
Registered
71 Posts
1 idea

Here's something I saw in an Expedition Portal forum that I've been considering.
It's a 27Lb atv ramp that I could U bolt to my Yakima bars to give wider tie down points for my canoe and ladders. I've already scratched up my hood a couple of times from the canoe sliding off the bars while I"m lashing it down. I think it will sit a little high with the E's curved roof, but maybe with the twilightzero mounts I can get it lower to the roof. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Here's something I saw in an Expedition Portal forum that I've been considering.
It's a 27Lb atv ramp that I could U bolt to my Yakima bars to give wider tie down points for my canoe and ladders. I've already scratched up my hood a couple of times from the canoe sliding off the bars while I"m lashing it down. I think it will sit a little high with the E's curved roof, but maybe with the twilightzero mounts I can get it lower to the roof. What do you think?
THat looks like a decent idea. Certainly lots of versatility...

What are the details? Link?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, I'm way more comfortable building a roof rack than I am trying to figure out how to post links, but the ramps are available on Ebay for $75 and come in a few different sizes. I think 44"x71" would work best.
A good build description can be found googling DIY roof rack: the H-Moose.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
There are, effectively two issues:
- how do you attach something to the roof

- what's the platform that supports gear

For the roof attachment, it is easy to make your own, but having done both, I think the Yakima (or Thule) rack set, is most versatile. You can attach nearly anything to those bars. I can think of two reasons for doing it yourself - you are cheap, or you want more mounting points than the 4 that Honda provides (e.g. an extra set near the tailgate).

As for the gear platform, there are lots of options. I've looked at the range, even constructed a couple. Even wire shelving has been used. My latest setup includes a Thule Sidekick closed box, and a Yakima Basketcase for open storage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You make some good points paulj. I think I'll use the Yack bar set up. I think the bars will be essential for strength even if the middle of the ramp is bolted together, plus, if it turns out to be hideous it's easily removable! I like the fact that it's relatively cheap and doesn't add the height of a full basket. I can't think of anything I want to put in a basket, only longer items across the top.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I looked at the mounting plates on our 06... looks very easy to make a rack for it. I can probably get away for a few hundred bucks with it tig welded (yes, it would be aluminum) and powdercoated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
brwntrt,
It's good you are in a sunbelt area because I would hate to have to shovel your driveway.
You have some interesting rack ideas. I need to lift (pry?) off the panels and expose the mounting areas so I can see what I am dealing with. I want to research the diy that "dan" showed earlier. I need easy.
US Military has requested I go to the mid east... with only a hammer and screwdriver I can do alot of damage.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I like it, this may be exactly what i was looking for. GhettoRackExtreme here we go!

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just ordered one on Ebay for $120 including shipping from rec-direct. I decided to pay a little extra for a 48" wide ramp. 44" looks like the outside edge will land directly over the Yak landing pads making it difficult to u-bolt. 48" is outside the pad but still inside the edge of the E's roof. I'll update on the project when it gets here.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I plan on bolting it up, then standing on it to see what happens! The ramp should be plenty strong but I suppose it will torque on the Yak bars some. I've been looking for a photo of the Gobi rear pads but can't locate a good one. From what I could see it looks like it just rests on the roof's sheet metal and is more aesthetic than functional.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
There used to be a liquid rubber that you could dip your tool handles in to coat them. Supposedly to give protection from electric shock and as a non-slip covering.

I have several sets of pliers that have these types of coverings on the handles.

If you could source the product, you could probably use it to coat the rack where you need it. Probably build up the layers as thick as you needed to over time.

IIRC, Popular Mechanix used to have it advertised.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts