Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 110-pound Bernese Mountain Dog, who sometimes slips on the bare floor of my Element, especially when his paws are wet. Is the rubber-like material of the all-season floor mats just as slippery? Or should I get the carpet floor mats? He does track in mud and water occasionally. :roll:

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have seen either on this board or elsewhere that someone bought some cheap carpet from Home Depot and cut it to fit the "E". No matter how resilient the E's floor, I do think that it could get a gouge or scratch or two from even the most well-tempered dog. The carpet would be easier to replace and could be thrown out if needed, From what I understand, the Honda carpet does not go in the trunk area.

Iskie

·
Registered
608 Posts
We picked up the all season floor mats, and the cargo tray. We thought that was the way to go with our 3 dogs. What we found was they they do tend to slip a bit on the mats. We have found that putting the back seats down all the way, and putting a blanket over them was the way to go. The dogs like sleeping on something, and the blanket helps with the hair.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I picked up a suv cargo mat from wal mart for 16.00 It fits great and the dog doesn't slide. Another plus is that water doesn't get down it the spare tire area and I can just hose it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for the tips and suggestions.

One tip, in particular, was excellent. The "Original Gripper Utility Mat," 18 inches by 24 inches, available from Target (in the automotive section) fits the passenger side perfectly. And two of them, side by side, also fit in front of the rear passenger seats. Best of all, they cost $3.99 each. They have a rubberized backing. My Bernese Mountain Dog hopped up on them and they didn't slip. The mats come in black, tan and gray. I got the latter.

However, I've also decided to get the Honda All-Season floor mats. One reason: I didn't want to take the chance that the Target mat might get caught up under the accelerator and brake on the driver's side. I plan to leave the Target mats in back for traction. If they get dirty, I'll just toss them!

I got my Shoreline Mist Metallic Element nearly two weeks ago to haul my dog around. It's perfect. I put both rear seats down flat, covered the area with upholstery fabric that I bought at a fabric store, then tossed his dog bed on that. He hops into the car (on the Target mats), then hops up onto his bed. Originally, I had thought of removing the seats. But that wasn't necessary. When standing on his bed, my dog has excellent head clearance. And he's 28 inches at the shoulders!

:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts