Honda Element Owners Club banner

Almost ripped off by the dealer!!!

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  BluesforChallah 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased a used 2003 Element about 4 months ago (private party sale) and noticed it was leaking oil in my garage. I stopped by my local Honda dealer to have them look at the problem. After 2 visits they couldn't tell me where it was leaking. On my next visit to get the oil changed I asked again if they could track the problem down and they said they could add a UV dye to my oil to help track down the problem. They added an extra $9.00 to my oil change for the dye and told me to drive for a few hundred miles and come back to have someone look at it. When I returned to the dealer for the diagnosis they said I had a leaking oil pan seal and the charge to repair it would be $633.00 because they have to remove part of the sub-frame to get to the pan. Over $500.00 was in labor alone.

I told them I would have to wait on this repair and they charged me a $65.00 that day. They said this charge was the labor to check the vehicle but it would come off the total bill ($633.00) if I got it repaired at the dealer.

So, I stopped by a mechanic friend of mine to get a second opinion and he couldn't find a leak at the oil pan gasket. It turns out that the crank pulley seal was where it has been leaking and a $10.00 part fixed my problem. This repair took him less than 20 minutes and involved just removing the passenger front wheel and 1 bolt holding on the pulley. I think the dealer owes me my diagnosis fee back or something!!! They have lost my trust when it comes to repairing my Element.

What would you do??????

See less See more
#2 ·
I purchased a used 2003 Element about 4 months ago (private party sale) and noticed it was leaking oil in my garage. I stopped by my local Honda dealer to have them look at the problem. After 2 visits they couldn't tell me where it was leaking. On my next visit to get the oil changed I asked again if they could track the problem down and they said they could add a UV dye to my oil to help track down the problem. They added an extra $9.00 to my oil change for the dye and told me to drive for a few hundred miles and come back to have someone look at it. When I returned to the dealer for the diagnosis they said I had a leaking oil pan seal and the charge to repair it would be $633.00 because they have to remove part of the sub-frame to get to the pan. Over $500.00 was in labor alone.

I told them I would have to wait on this repair and they charged me a $65.00 that day. They said this charge was the labor to check the vehicle but it would come off the total bill ($633.00) if I got it repaired at the dealer.

So, I stopped by a mechanic friend of mine to get a second opinion and he couldn't find a leak at the oil pan seal. It turns out that the crank pulley seal was where it has been leaking and a $10.00 part fixed my problem. This repair took him lees than 20 minutes and involved just removing the passenger front wheel and 1 bolt holding on the pulley. I think the dealer owes me my diagnosis fee back or something!!! They have lost my trust when it comes to repairing my Element.

What would you do??????
I would take the repair bill from your friend (if he didn't give you one, have him write one up) to the dealer and ask to speak to the person in charge of the repair shop. I'd explain exactly what you explained here....that you've lost faith in them and that they owe you the "diagnosis" fee. It may not do a thing, but at least you tried.

#3 ·
I'd give all your buisness to your friend.......................

#4 ·
I'd do both of the above :roll:

#7 ·
I agree with everyone else. You should at least try and get the money for the diagnosis and die back from the dealer. And if you do manage to get the $72.00 back, Take your friend out for drinks. :food005: Everyone should have a friend like that.

#8 ·
I would deff shake the tree and see what falls out . At this point you hafe to atlest tell them what happend and IMHO don't ask insted demand your money back.Most people have enof problems in life and don't need shady dealer's and people trying thair hardest to rip you off..

#9 ·
IMHO don't ask insted demand your money back.Most people have enof problems in life and don't need shady dealer's and people trying thair hardest to rip you off..
No doubt!!! No reason you should have to pay for a misdiagnosis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.