Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 element has reached 190,000 miles, and everything is going wrong. I had to replace my cat, o2 sensors, spark plugs, and ignition coils. I did it all myself besides the cat, but now I’m still having issues. It was almost stalling out when I’d accelerate at first, then it started doing it when I slowed down, and now it only does it when idling. I’ve already spent $500 on parts and tools fixing it, I’m assuming it’s my fuel pump/filter which I know how to fix but I figured I’d ask everyone if they’ve ever had this problem before. Whenever I have anyone run codes all that shows up is a bad o2 sensor which has already been replaced and I’m assuming is only showing because the codes haven’t been cleared. Any ideas?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ran into this a while back on another make of vehicle. Coolant Temp sensor was the problem there. May not apply here.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
What brand O2 sensor did you use? A number of people have mentioned having identical problems with Bosch brand and universal type sensors. Another question: When was your last valve adjustment? I'd DEFINITELY ignore the coolant sensor for now as the Honda part appears very robust. Thermostat -could- be an issue but you'd see that on the temperature gauge in the dash.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you have the AC turned on while idling or is it off? I noticed my idle gets rougher with the AC turned on, but is perfectly smooth with the AC off. Gonna replace my drive belt, idler pulley and AC compressor clutch in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are still having this issue, I would check the throttle body and clean that out. Not a big job. Just take it off and clean it with seafoam cleaner and an old tooth brush. Doesn't cost much and may solve the problem.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Do you have the AC turned on while idling or is it off? I noticed my idle gets rougher with the AC turned on, but is perfectly smooth with the AC off. Gonna replace my drive belt, idler pulley and AC compressor clutch in the next few weeks.
I just noticed what you said here. Have you kept up on the valve adjustment schedule?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 04 element has reached 190,000 miles, and everything is going wrong. I had to replace my cat, o2 sensors, spark plugs, and ignition coils. I did it all myself besides the cat, but now I’m still having issues. It was almost stalling out when I’d accelerate at first, then it started doing it when I slowed down, and now it only does it when idling. I’ve already spent $500 on parts and tools fixing it, I’m assuming it’s my fuel pump/filter which I know how to fix but I figured I’d ask everyone if they’ve ever had this problem before. Whenever I have anyone run codes all that shows up is a bad o2 sensor which has already been replaced and I’m assuming is only showing because the codes haven’t been cleared. Any ideas?
Had the same issue at almost the same mileage. It only gets worse. Cleaned the throttle body and had valve adjustment $147. No probs now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts