Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I came across this app on the android market call Torque.
It is a program that uses a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and display all kind of car stuff. There are 2 versions free and paid($3). The paid get HP and TQ reading also.

1st you need one of this ~$30 on Ebay.

Plug it into the OBD2 port. Get the app, pair the device.
Open program, select the port and that's it.

Here's some pics of the program

It can graph too

and upload to the web

Here's the developer's website
http://ian-hawkins.com/

and a tube vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCZyxrS_ixY&feature=player_embedded#!

All content was borrowed.

I currently using the free version on my G1 with OS 1.6

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
That looks really cool!!! Garmin has been working on one for over a year now.
I have been waiting for it to be released, but they are lagging. It also works
on bluetooth, but it uses your Garmin Nuvi as the screen. Here is a link to the
module as well as some pix.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-ecoroute-esp-cable-bluetooth.html

I would get the Garmin one if it was out, I would have to upgrade my Nuvi
from the 760T that I have to the 1490T. Any of the 1xxx series with bluetooth
would work, but the 1490T has the bigger display.

Let us know how this one works for you and if you like it. Very cool find!!!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's cool too.

4got to mention. the BT adapter also comes with software for my net book. nothing special though.

The adapter is on when i turn off the car. light show under the foot well. I'm going to see if that will drain the battery.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Glad once again that I sometimes make the time to troll these forums.

I was actually going to get the BT interface, but since I have a Nuvi 1490t, it just makes more sense to pair that with the Garmin device.

I already own Honda's PC-based software, so the main benefit to me would be the additional information in real-time, plus the wife will love playing with it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
wow thats pretty sweet! def a neat gaget... would rather have one taht displays on my HU but i spoe this is a pretty cheap alternative!

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Glad once again that I sometimes make the time to troll these forums.

I was actually going to get the BT interface, but since I have a Nuvi 1490t, it just makes more sense to pair that with the Garmin device.

I already own Honda's PC-based software, so the main benefit to me would be the additional information in real-time, plus the wife will love playing with it.
Keep us posted on how the Eco Drive works with the 1490. I have been reading
that the 1490 has been having alot of problems with software, locking up, and
keeping any BT device paired up to it. From what I have been reading, it all
started after the last software/firmware upgrade to the 1490. I hope they
have a fix for it!!!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I actually put the app on my Android phone a few weeks ago as a reminder to get the OBD some time in the future. But I thought I would be looking at a couple of hundred bucks. Now that I see it is only $30...hmmm.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
i actually put the app on my android phone a few weeks ago as a reminder to get the obd some time in the future. But i thought i would be looking at a couple of hundred bucks. Now that i see it is only $30...hmmm.
do it!!!!!

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
This $30 amazon cheapie works pretty good with my samsung e4gt. Has anyone found out that this causes significant battery drain while plugged in yet? Lots of neat sensors to read, but i just wish Honda's had more info available. Im pretty sure my instant mpg gauge is way too high most of the time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had mine running for about a week now and I havn't noticed my phone draining. If it did, it would be as simple as plugging it in as there is a power source readily available.

My bluetooth adapter was from fleebay and only cost $14. Too anybody that has an android phone or tablet, i would HIGHLY recommend ordering one to play around with, or at the very least, troubleshoot and clear trouble codes.

100% recommend.

·
Registered
77 Posts
oh. well mine has been plugged in since i got it, as i leave it in the obd2 port all the time.

i'm pretty sure it doesn't draw power when the ignition is off.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've left mine plugged in so far, no apparent battery drain yet either.

I've thought about getting an extension, but they are either 5ft long, or too short to justify another $30. Haven't had a problem with bumping it yet even though that was an initial concern when I plugged it in.

20120222_140627.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts