Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a VW/Audi guy, I'm curious whether anyone has tried a MANN W67 filter on their Element as a replacement for the stock part. The specs seem to interchange with the factory part as well as the WIX 51356 and Purolator L14610, which are apparently good choices as aftermarket substitutes for the OEM.

The Mann/Hummel products are well thought of in the Vdub community and are OEM suppliers to the German manufacturers.

Curious whether there are other German/Japanese crossovers out there....

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I'm not really a true "crossover," my VWs use strainer/screens instead of filters....real VeeDubs don't need no radiators. :-D

I've used MANN filters on my Saab, (as well as WIX) and pretty much use WIX with an occasional Purolater when necessary. I've always heard good things about the MANN, but never seen any testing/data on them. I'm sure they're at least as good as any "average chain store special" filter out there for the Honda.

Go buy a few and try 'em out! Report back in 200k miles. ;-)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Wix 51356

I've used the wix filter almost exclusively on my element , 05 acura RL and my 08 accord ex-l with nav . Recently purchased a ton of oil filters from trevor (A01) . the Wix has never given me any problems and besides , They're NASCAR approved ! Was rooting for mark , but ................................................

RUBY

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on German filter

While waiting for the first oil change interval to come around for our 2009, I did a little further research into filters. I bought a Bosch at a local parts place, and was amazed at how tiny it was, though it seemed to be pretty similar to the OEM can on the back of the engine. Therefore, I used the excellent data pages on the MANN website to try to find an alternative.

Obviously, the thread size is the most critical. After that, I looked for a match for gasket diameter and bypass pressure, then the largest physical dimensions in order to increase oil capacity and filter media area.

I found that a MANN W816/80 should be a good candidate. It measures 4.72" tall by 3.36" dia., much bigger than stock. A quick dry fit after removing the original showed no interferences.

I had to keep adding oil to get the proper level. It took 5-3/4 qts. to reach just below the top mark.

So far so good.

RM

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Did a dual filter relocation on mine. I now have to run two ginormous Mobil 1 filters mounted to my firewall. I like it. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did a dual filter relocation on mine. I now have to run two ginormous Mobil 1 filters mounted to my firewall. I like it. :)
Frozen,
How did you do this? Years ago I bought a kit to do it to a Motorcycle, best thing ever.
Worst part of oil change is removing filter. Any pics you can share also would be great.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Sure. Not tonight though. Maybe tomorrow. I attached the filter holders on that big flat spot on the firewall where the VIN is stamped. Marked where I had to drill 3 holes, loosened up the trim around the windshield wiper arm just enough to get my hand behind there to get the nuts tightened on the bolts for the holder. Ran the two hoses down to the oil filter adapter that screws on to the block.

I had to do a tiny bit of dremmeling to a couple of mounts that are welded to the strut tower brace back there, but nothing big. One held a piece of the engine wiring harness, and the other was for something small. Not sure what. I just pulled that stuff out of the mounts, it had enough support to do without, and hacked the mounts off to make room for those massive oil filters. Not sure if it's more convenient that way, but I figure with two filters that EACH are at LEAST twice as big as the stock ones, I can probably get by with changing them only about every 3 or 4 oil changes. At $13 a pop for the Mobile 1 version, they're not exactly cheap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds good frozen, thanks. Where did you buy the oil filter kit? I am having a brain fart to come up with the best words to google it.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Sounds good frozen, thanks. Where did you buy the oil filter kit? I am having a brain fart to come up with the best words to google it.
Man, I can't for the life of me remember where it was. Deleted the emails and everything. I found this one with a bit of google'ing

http://www.streetperformance.com/part/trans-dapt-performance/engine-oil-filter-relocation-kit/257981-1158.html

But what you're looking for is an "oil filter relocation kit".

Trans-dapt makes some decent stuff.

The one I linked to above is for the single filter one that looking back at it now, I kind of wish I had gone with just because of how huge the filters you have to use with this kit are.

Looked through my phone and found some pictures I took. The hoses obviously aren't hooked up in these, but they come off the left side and run down to the filter adapter. I had to cut off about 1/4" of the stock nipple that the oil filter screws on to. That was probably the most ass pain part of the whole thing. Well, that and fitting my hands behind the windshield wiper cowl thing to get the nuts on the bolts. There's 3 of them.

Anyway, here are the pics.
The first one is where to relocation kit is mounted
2nd one is with 1 filter just to show where these monsters sit
3rd one kind of shows the bracket I had to cut back
the 4th shows how the new Mobil 1 filter could eat one of the stock ones as a snack. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm gonna spend some time online looking. I just want a single to make it easier to get to.

P.S. Great reply with photo's. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
The link I posted is for a single filter. But like I said, you're going to end up having to use one of those big filters. Which isn't a bad thing at all. More filter area, more oil capacity in your engine, no oil running down the back of your block and onto your frame and dripping on your driveway/garage floor for 3 days after the oil change....all seem like really good reasons to do this. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts