Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the alternator on my '05, thinking that was my problem, since it wasn't charging the battery. Still not charging the battery, so then I did the research I should've done prior to buying an alternator.

My problem seems to be that the black/yellow wire on the 4 wire plug on the alternator isn't getting power from the battery when the ignition is on, so the alternator isn't getting the message to do its job.

Fuse # 4 (ACG) is good.

I'm frustrated. I'm thinking about just connecting a new wire (from a 12V source controlled by the ignition) to that wire, rather than trying to find the reason it's not getting power. Would that be completely stupid?

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,745 Posts
Depending where the bad connection is, you could have other components not getting power. Really need to get a schematic, because fuse 4 circuit is huge.

But I have seen plenty of hack jobs by-passing a dead circuit. At least be sure to fuse it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending where the bad connection is, you could have other components not getting power. Really need to get a schematic, because fuse 4 circuit is huge.

But I have seen plenty of hack jobs by-passing a dead circuit. At least be sure to fuse it.
Thanks. I did test it after posting the question. Had my tester on the battery, engine running. 12.2 volts. Connected a wire to that black/yellow wire and touched the other end to the positive post on the battery. Voltage on my tester (still connected to the battery) immediately jumped to over 14 volts.

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
730 Posts
You need to trace the circuit through fuse #4 to the alternator. Make sure there is power at the fuse with the switch on. The circuit then goes through connector C101 behind the glove box, then to the alternator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Start simple. If you haven’t already, check your ground cable to the battery. Mine was corroded and frayed near the bottom (no jacketing around the cable), and it was causing all sorts of trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts