Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alternator failed in February at a part store parking lot no less! Walked in bought the reman driveworks(only thing instock) worked fine until about 2-3 weeks ago. Now i have battery light on(sometimes flashes on and off rather than solid) new battery and i replaced ELD just in case still having the same problem. So I'm assuming alternator was defective and needs replaced again!!!! So anyone else had these issues, would you buy a reman denso or aftermarket new? Quite the pain to replace every few months 😂 i have a multimeter and everything voltage wise seems to come out as good 🤷‍♀️ Battery before starting 12.8, after starting with nothing on it jumps to 14.4, turning on lights or heater drops it to 14-14.2. Definitely thought it was battery and literally made the store replace under warranty by completely killing it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I read somewhere the original was 130 amps and all the new ones are only 105 to 110 amps well new or reman anyone know any truth behind that?!

·
Registered
200 Posts
My daughter's reman alternator had a bad rear bearing, It would work sometimes but at certain speeds, the vibration would cause it to mess up and not charge. It was purchased before we got the car, so I just purchased another one. I have meant to take that thing apart and replace the bearing, but never had the time. Someday. LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes! Very strange! I've seen several posts that the honda electrical system does not like aftermarket alternators or starters! So I was hoping for info from someone with experience 😂 but at the same time they said a new aftermarket or reman denso 🤷‍♀️ I can get reman denso for $50 more than the lifetime part store thats on it now! I mean the car runs fine but on a pitch dark road and lights dimming so much they don't looks like they're on is a slight issue! And every so often my other dash lights flicker on and off 🤷‍♀️ All i keep thinking is ok abs/air bag/brake lights flickering so they may not work as intended if needed! I've also checked all the ground wires. My sister actually bought a reman part store brand hooked everything back up and didn't work at all! 😂 at least i got a few months 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
302 Posts
Are you getting dim headlights while idling?

If so, what this means to me is your charging system is okay, and it's your headlight wiring. What I would look at now is what voltage you're getting on your headlights, while the headlights are on and connected. From what you said so far, voltage on the headlights will be substantially less than the ~14 you get on the battery. Then it will be the question of where between the battery and the headlights you're loosing the voltage, and you'd just have to trace the wires and keep measuring as you go along.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not usually, only while actually driving, i can make them flicker/dim by turning on heat etc while idling and usually only low beams, unless I'm not noticing it with high beams. Is there anyway to add a short video? All I'm seeing is photos? I made it while in my driveway, headlights fine until i turn on heat and and bring it up to 2000rpms. You can actually hear the heater/blower changing as the battery light flickers on and off. Blows hard then battery light comes on and its like i changed from high to medium on the dial

·
Registered
2004 SOP EX/AWD/MT
311 Posts
The voltage numbers you posted earlier look fine.
I wonder if one of those voltage gauges that plug into the cigarette would make sense (for diag. purposes).

That way you would have a voltage display while driving, with lights, heater, etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stays around 14.2-14.4, actually i have left mine attached while driving around our camp(probably about a mile trip) battery light stays on and lights still dim even though its a short 5-10mph trip. Whatever it is it seems to be getting worse. The light would only come on when i was driving slow now its on all the time or flashes on and off. I dont know if the lighter voltage reader would show any different than the one at the battery I'll pick one up and try it! Give me a few days to reply back, we're getting ready to head to camp again and if i have to order one!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts