Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if they are gonna make Altezza Lights for the Element? I have the black Element and I think they would look really cool on there.

Wade

·
Registered
222 Posts
APC and other manufacturers are under fire from the DOT. They have recalled a number of their tail lights - they do not comply with regulations. I don't have a link, but its been in the news.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If Altezza tails are "under fire" from the DOT...So should LEXUS! Has anyone seen the lights on the new RX330? They light up red but when they aren't lit up...they are clear. I was pulled over in my old car with clear tails and the police officer said the lights had to lite up red when the brakes were applied or the lights were on and REFLECT RED when no lights were on. The Lexus 330 does not reflect red. Euro tails from APC do. But no one is going to mess with rich people who drive Lexus'...just punk kids with mods on their cars.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ok, let me tell you something as an owner of a speed shop.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING MADE BY APC, EVER...

That is one shady ass company. They are out for ONE thing, to rip you off, plain and simple. They have their parts made in some country in Asia that nobody has ever heard of, it is all built substandard. A lot of the time, the parts that are made for your car, don't even FIT. I know one girl who got a crappy ass pair of altezzas from them for her Integra, and there was enough gap in there to fit her fingers. Their parts DO NOT comply with the Department of Transportation, they break, they malfunction, they don't fit, etc....this company really, REALLY makes me sick.

As well, there is another problem that the general public does not know about, however, a close friend of mine has a father that works for the other company. Said company has been in automotive aftermarket business for well over 60 years. They are a very well known and respected business. Well, APC bought up a bunch of their product, shipped it out to some country, had it duplicated, and mass produced. When I say duplicated, I mean down to the part number. Part numbers are company specific...and APC didn't even take the time to change them. Well, the problem is, these parts that they made were never tested (among other things that APC has put out). :roll: Well, being that this is an intrigal part to driver safety, the company whose parts were copied took it upon themselves to test the parts jacked by APC. Well, problem is, within a year of being on the car, a HUGE percantage of the parts tested will FAIL. For legal reasons, I seriously cannot get too much into detail, but when they do fail, you WILL crash your car...

I am sorry to be so vague in regards to the products, or other company involved, but this matter is being taken up in court...and if you think that the $650,000 APC has to pay the D.O.T. is a lot, you haven't seen anything yet. APC clearly and blatantly violated every copyright law, etc...and they put out products that are of absolute **** quality, and are a danger to the consumer with NO regard for anything but themselves.

A friend of mine from www.traysliding.com put this ----->
on his page, with a link to a petition to get APC off the streets. Well, he was contacted by one Junior Nguyen from APC and THREATENED. They threatened to sue him, etc...etc...etc...He was completely in the right and excersizing his free speech. He did NOT slander or libel APC. Well, he posted the e-mail on a web board that I frequent, www.hondavision.com, and we took action. We spread around on all of the boards what APC was doing, and the fact that a lot of us are VERY familiar with the law...we ALL mass e-mailed Junior, and APC...and they backed off REALLY fast.

Honestly, there is nothing good, nothing cool, and nothing honorable about that company. This is the ONLY company that I absolutely refusre to sell their products. I don't care if someone walks up and says he wants to buy $50,000 worth of APC parts from me...I will not sell that garbage.

Like I said before, I am sorry to be so vague, but I kinda have to, but I have been in this scene for a very long time, and I own a shop, and I know first hand from people in a fight with APC how ruthless, and cowardly they can be. DO NOT BUY THAT PRODUCT.

Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Okay, I will not buy APC. What other companies make Euro Tails that are good quality? The Element would look good with Euro Style tails.

Also, I am assuming the law is still the same. Tail lights have to light up red and reflect red when not lit up. How can Lexus put a pair of tail lights on the RX330 that look exactly like the ones I had on my old Accord and got a ticket for because they didn't reflect red?

I am not defending APC in any way and I know nothing about anything that is going on with APC or "said company". If APC bought "said company's" lights and replicated them right down to the model number, how is it that APC lights are poor quality and "said company's" are good quality? You would think if they were exactly copied APC lights wouldn't be able to fit two fingers between the light and the Integra and "said company's" lights would fit perfectly. Also, if I bought a pair of tails from APC and they didn't fit, I would return them and get my money back.

·
Registered
227 Posts
[quote:11087757d4="ExpressElement"]

I am not defending APC in any way and I know nothing about anything that is going on with APC or "said company". If APC bought "said company's" lights and replicated them right down to the model number, how is it that APC lights are poor quality and "said company's" are good quality? You would think if they were exactly copied APC lights wouldn't be able to fit two fingers between the light and the Integra and "said company's" lights would fit perfectly. Also, if I bought a pair of tails from APC and they didn't fit, I would return them and get my money back.[/quote:11087757d4]

I'm not talking about tail lights...I am talking about steering wheels that were casted, and then produced in VERY poor quality. When my friends fathers company tested the APC products, the tests netted results that said that with a year or so, the steering wheels would fail, leaving your cars, and your lifes fate, up to inertia. Not a good thing, not at all...

Anyway, if you are looking for Altezza style lights, e-mail [email protected] and tell him that Matt from Speedupgrade.com sent you. His name is Mike. I don't sell any Altezza style lights, but he does, and he is a friend of mine...he's a good guy, just make sure you let him know that I sent you. If he has them, he'll hook you up. I think they are TYC...?

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's just another aftermarket company, but the quality of their lighting accessories far surpasses that of APC apparently. I'm not a fan of altezza lights, so I don't really know all of the ins and outs of that company, but I DO know a lot about APC, and I heard from Mike and UrbanImport that the TYC ones are the ones to go with.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ExpressElement:: To burst your bubble on the taillightrs thing. The reason the Lexus IS legal is due to the red reflectors on the bumper. You must have some type of red reflector on the rear of your vehicle so high off the ground. This is why they have no problems. The 2001 Civic coue taillight you showed is legal as well. It has a reflector and is DOT approved. However, heres the catch, they are DOT approved but are intended for off-road/show use only.

·
Registered
163 Posts
[quote:47ef1f0684="Turtle"]ExpressElement:: To burst your bubble on the taillightrs thing. The reason the Lexus IS legal is due to the red reflectors on the bumper. You must have some type of red reflector on the rear of your vehicle so high off the ground. This is why they have no problems. The 2001 Civic coue taillight you showed is legal as well. It has a reflector and is DOT approved. However, heres the catch, they are DOT approved but are intended for off-road/show use only.[/quote:47ef1f0684]

The Lexus IS the same thing I had on my old car. I had a '96 Dodge Neon (don't laugh) with clear tails and the third brake light was still red and is the equivalent of that red plastic on the Lexus' bumper. The police officer said the actual tail lights had to reflect red. Either you are wrong or the police officer was wrong. To me, it is the same thing. Two cars, two clear taillights that do not reflect red when not lit up, and each car did have a third or forth reflective red peice of plastic.

·
Registered
76 Posts
wait wait wait, you think a third brake light lense is reflective?? The taillights on the lexus light up red with running lights and brake lights. The piece on the bumper is only reflective. They dont light up. If you wanted to put big pieces of red reflective tape on your neons rear bumper, you would have been fine(even though that would looked nasty). Your clears would also have needed to light up red whan the brakes were applied and runing lights turned on. Most people didnt use red bulbs, so thats why there was such a big problem with them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My clears did light up red when the brakes were applied....just like the Lexus! The reflective red on the Lexus' bumper is the same plastic that covered my third brake light on my Neon. It is red plastic! You must own a Lexus.

·
Registered
222 Posts
ExpressElement said:
[quote:76e787b04b="Turtle"]The Lexus IS the same thing I had on my old car. I had a '96 Dodge Neon (don't laugh) with clear tails and the third brake light was still red and is the equivalent of that red plastic on the Lexus' bumper. The police officer said the actual tail lights had to reflect red. Either you are wrong or the police officer was wrong. To me, it is the same thing. Two cars, two clear taillights that do not reflect red when not lit up, and each car did have a third or forth reflective red peice of plastic.[/quote:76e787b04b]

Sounds to me like the cop was wrong, or at least somewhat inaccurate. The reflective strip is there for DOT compliance. If you got a ticket and had a reflective strips under your tails, I'd have fought it. Your rear brake light doesn't count though. Either that or your state regs are more tough than federal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
YOUR THIRD BRAKE LIGHT DOES NOT COUNT AS A REFLECTOR!!!!!!!! Its a 3rd brake light, nothing more nothing less. You MUST have some type of red reflectors at around bumper taillight level that reflect red at the outer edges of your vehicle. Plain and simple!! And no I dont own a Lexus. I have a 03 Element, 01 Civic, 87 CRX, 2 67 Camaros and a 59 Chevy pickup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts