Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a small but annoying sound that my 09 E has started to make. When I hit a decent size bump, or go over road contour that might add a twist to the body, there is a soft sound that comes from the top of the driver's door (just above my ear!) that I can only describe as weather stripping rubbing together....almost like the door may be moving within the door frame. So my questions are; 1) have any of you noticed something similar....and; 2) am I just being too darned picky?! :confused:

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Don't think you are being to picky
the only issue I've had that you might want to look into is that your windshield visor may be a little loose - I get a high pitch squeek if mine isn't pushed and seated in completly

now where's my Skyline?

·
Registered
143 Posts
you might need to adjust the door striker. There are two screws that hold the U-shaped "latch" that you can loosen and slide the striker in closer to the body. You could also try lubricating the door seal with some silicone grease.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you might need to adjust the door striker. There are two screws that hold the U-shaped "latch" that you can loosen and slide the striker in closer to the body. You could also try lubricating the door seal with some silicone grease.
Thanks! I'll try that. I've also been attempting to see if having the window down makes a difference....it's just harder to hear with the window down. If the sound goes away when there is no contact between the glass and the seal, then that's the interface causing the issue. Although I'm not sure what I could do about it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I frequent the Honda Pilot boards and there was a common issue with something similar...some eventually described it as a subtle "whoosh" or even "scrunch". (I know these terms are very technical...) SOme of this was also happening with the current Accord.
The culprit was the door seals...hollow space inside was making the noise. Honda put out a bulletin to spray shinetsu grease inside the actual rubber tube seals to keep them better lubricated. This would have to be done every 6-9 months. More sever cases has "no squeak" tape applied to some surfaces of the seals which was a so-so fix at best.

See if you don't get a fix by lubing those seals (same statement can be heard at Sea World's across the land).

Good luck!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Any decent silicone spray from a company like Permatex or Wurth applied every 6 months to all weatherseals both on the car and on the door will quiet the noisiest of rubbing squeaks.

Most of Honda's services include lubricating the weatherseals and hinges as part of it if done at the dealership.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any decent silicone spray from a company like Permatex or Wurth applied every 6 months to all weatherseals both on the car and on the door will quiet the noisiest of rubbing squeaks.

Where do you purchase a lubricant like that? Any auto parts type place? Thanks for the tip too!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Where do you purchase a lubricant like that? Any auto parts type place? Thanks for the tip too!
Yes most auto parts stores should sell it in their spray lubricants section. I know the Canadian Tire here in Canada sells some under their own Motomaster brand name but they also sell Permatex. Another good company is Kleen-Flo which is also easily sourced. Kleen-Flo's silicone spray is called Kleen-Slip.

My dealership uses Würth now for all our spray chemicals and I love the stuff. The Würth spray silicone is awesome stuff for weatherseals. They also have a spray grease called HHS 2000 which sprays on like a fluid to penetrate and coat then the base chemical evapourates leaving behind the high-pressure anti-corrosive grease.

You can probably get Würth chemicals from Amazon.com or by checking on the Würth website for a dealer. If I had my own shop I'd probably use Würth and Permatex exclusively.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I noticed something ear level too - I'll let you know if I figure it out too...

·
Registered
839 Posts
I noticed something ear level too - I'll let you know if I figure it out too...
Spray the window runchannel seals as well because they can squeak or make noise if they become dry/dirty. Cleaning them is a bit difficult unless you remove them but that too in itself is an even more involved job (albeit something I am going to do to my own Element as the previous owner lived on a dirt road and there is A LOT of grit in the runchannels).

Sometimes where the interior door panel contacts the door if there is a tiny bit of clearance they can squeak as well. A shot of silicone spray can usually quell them as well.

·
Registered
748 Posts
thanks X-dad

·
Registered
839 Posts
Glad I could help man :).

Not saying that your noise is necessarily due to the runchannels or door seals, but I had a customer once who complained of a rattle-like sound coming from the left sliding door of their 2005 Odyssey. Turned out that the rubber seal on the left rear quarter window which mates up with the rearward side of the sliding door would rub and cause a noise. A little silicone lube and it was silent :D.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've noticed a small but annoying sound that my 09 E has started to make. When I hit a decent size bump, or go over road contour that might add a twist to the body, there is a soft sound that comes from the top of the driver's door (just above my ear!) that I can only describe as weather stripping rubbing together....almost like the door may be moving within the door frame. So my questions are; 1) have any of you noticed something similar....and; 2) am I just being too darned picky?! :confused:
I don't believe that this is necessarily door seals needing a lube (although that may be one way to deal with it) - I think it is something specific to individual cars most likely related to doors that aren't latching as tightly as they are supposed to.

My new 2009 has exactly this problem (I am on a road trip and haven't had time to take it to the dealer). I have noticed, though, that the driver's door doesn't "close" quite as smoothly and that there is a tiny bit of "play" to the driver's door when closed that isn't there with the passenger door. I suspect that what's happening is that the result is the driver's door can move up and down a bit more when the frame flexes and that rubs weather stripping and causes the noise.

The right fix would be a door that closes completely. Hopefully the dealer can address that.

Previously, I drove a 2007 for 3 years that never had this issue, so I don't think you are being unreasonable.

Let us know where you end up.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I noticed the passenger door a bit strange, difficualt to close, but I attribute it to being 'new' - the airtight effect.
Of course, when I wanted to help out on this thread, the noise stopped.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I noticed the passenger door a bit strange, difficualt to close, but I attribute it to being 'new' - the airtight effect.
Of course, when I wanted to help out on this thread, the noise stopped.....
I have noticed that the noise from the doors dissapears when it's warm out (75+), but it is always back after the car cools down.

I suspect that the temperature warms up the seals enough that they don't make the noise.

·
Registered
748 Posts
yes -stgeorge, could be - then we have Tony S the genius who hears a click & rattle sound above - only when the plastic sunglasses are in the box -duh :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok....I attemped this fix, but couldn't get the two large phillips head screws to budge! I'm no small guy, but those puppies had no intention of breaking. Looks like I'm going to try the silicone. Maybe if I eat my spinach, I'll be able to carry it out of the auto parts store! :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Update - Took the E to Kirkland Honda (Seattle Area). They:

1) "Adjusted the door." From what I can, that's the striker plates on both the front and rear door.
2) "lubed all seals with shinetsu grease".

All problems are now gone (dome light coming on when turning right, rubbing noise). The door also closes very smoothly.

Ok....I attemped this fix, but couldn't get the two large phillips head screws to budge! I'm no small guy, but those puppies had no intention of breaking. Looks like I'm going to try the silicone. Maybe if I eat my spinach, I'll be able to carry it out of the auto parts store! :D

·
Registered
748 Posts
I started to get the 'sqweeky sqweeky' noise above the driver's left ear -
My dealer book ( in English - not "B service, part of A service" etc etc) simply said tighten and lube all doors, hinges, gaskets, etc (22K service)

Helps a bit ... with NY roads, who can really tell!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts