Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else besides redpunk and I buy a DX model?

I ended up getting a better price on the car if I bought a DX and added A/C. Actually, we added the splash guards (they were free), roof rack, and keyless entry. Then I put in my own stereo (had to be able to play mp3s). So, I'm missing the ABS, interior colors, rims (which we can get better looking ones cheaper), cruise control, and what?

Everyone on this site has an EX, but since they seem to have the same exact engine, I couldn't justify the price difference - especially if I took out the factory 7 speaker audio system (which btw, we got one that plays mp3s and better speakers for HALF the price).

Anyways, proud DX owner here (redpunk is my wife, so there is two of us).

Blue, DX, 2WD (no reason for us to have 4wd), splash guards, a/c, roof rack

·
Registered
424 Posts
1) the back seats are not stain proof

2) their is no back cargo area dc outlet

3) the outside panels are made and look differently

4) no overhead storage unit < i think >

5) 3 extra exterior colors < sop, shore line mist, GG >

·
Registered
104 Posts
The EX owners sometimes seem to take on an elitest, somewhat condescending view of the DX. I liken this to living in a trailer park and being envious of the folks with a "double-wide".

At the end of the day they are both basic transport at the bottom of the food chain for luxury and/or prestige. Everyone, including EX owners, tout the many virtues of the utilitarian style of the E, but then are fast to point out the few, non-utilitarian differences, between the EX and DX. Hmmmmm.

And yes, I have an Element.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did notice the plastic exterior panels were slightly different, but I actually for perferred the basic'ness of the DX look. I also seemed to like the interior trim of the DX over the EX.

So I guess all that is personal preference stuff. The back seats are all waterproof, which I guess is also stainproof so I'm not sure what John meant about that. I don't have FCX or whatever seats in the back (where they are a hybrid cloth or something), but they are just completely rubber or whatever. I've already poored water on it to test it out.

The overhead storage I didn't quite care about cause we're gonna throw in a DVD/LCD display that has it's own storage unit. So I guess what I meant to ask is, what FUNCTIONALLY is different between the DX and EX? But after comparing closely, I think I've found my answer - really nothing that I cared about. Although, if I could have gotten the dealership here in Atlanta down to 19k for an EX, I think I would have certainly gone for it, but pricing is local-specific and I'm gonna guess that cars in Atlanta are a little more costly here in the Atlanta area.

So ZozoHead - the non-utilitarian differences are more or less personal preferences. Like for example, teh stereo I put in for HALF the cost of the stock Honda one is like a decade better and again, half the cost. Plays mp3, reads the id3 tags, it's XM capable, and has more power than that alpine or whatever. I'm definetly not trying to slam the EX, but I just didn't understand the marketing concept behind it - except that it's already loaded with stock stuff - but again, I don't use the stock stuff I like customizing my E :)

I'm highly interested in that dude on this forum who added a color reverse camera under the license tag area, that's sweet! I want to do that when I embed the LCD screen in ours (redpunk's and mine).

I love my E, even if it is a single wide trailer DX (which better custom components than the stock EX double wide trailer) :)

8)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a DX! Black, 5 speed, and of course 2 wheel drive. I for one wanted the black, partially because I for one am big on simple, minimally colored interiors. Exterior color should stay on the outside, in my opinion. And don't go pointing out that my car has lots of black inside, all cars have lots of black (and grey) inside.
Ibenez (and redpunk) i also didn't want the Honda stereo, and mine is far better for far less money. And I have storage above the stereo now.
The rear power outlet is $11.25 plus shipping, so that doesn't bother me, at all.
But.... I do sometimes think it might be nice to have the overhead storage.

Oh and ibenez, i wonder if the DX is selling to the target market more? And people who lease and maybe all the baby boomers are going for the EX?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HunterBase - I basically bought the car with the same mindset as you.

Bush555 - we liked the blue. DX came in blue. So, the extra colors, while they were nice, we liked the blue.

Hey, we love out element. I love the stripped down'ness of the DX too, cause as HunterBase and I have said - customizing the internal and external components ourselves is cheaper, and cooler!

But again, I likle the EX too! We just got a DX cause (a) was cheaper and more importantly (b) it fit what we wanted BETTER than the EX oddly enough. Go Honda!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think having a selection from DX to EX and manual to auto is great. Makes it easier for someone to get just exactly what they want. They're all Elements to me

·
Registered
104 Posts
I guess I failed to mention that mine is a DX. I, like many others, like what I like. It just so happens that my preference was the DX, without even knowing there was a difference. I simply picked out the one I liked with the features I like and it happened to be a DX.

·
Registered
106 Posts
oh and I forgot to mention that i actually like the basic steel wheels of the DX. I think i will replace them eventually. but for now, I like the added utilitarian look of the wheels. Like a bread truck or something. Seems almost to be more in line with the whole concept of the car. utility.

ibenez, does the blue DX have the same interior as the black? it doesn't have any blue, I mean?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I will miss the EX's cruise control and the anti-lock brakes are definately better then the EX.
My after market stereo set-up totally kicks the EX's deluxe stereo's ass.
$500

Borla exhaust/tip with new 2.5" pipe from the Catalytic converter back
$175

Fog lights
$22

I will eventually go for the keyless entry
$110

Last February, my DX with AC came to $19,200, they wanted $21,000 for the EX.

Even with my mods, my DX (same exact mechanical car without two additional options of cruise control and anti-lock brakes and a few superficial cosmetic changes is/was $1000 cheaper. I wanted to stay under $20,000. It was strictly the numbers for me.
When my wheels need replacing, I'll keep my utilitarian steel wheels and put larger 16" tires on the stock rims.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HunterBase - the blue DX has a blue trim interior. Looks neat though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
IBENEZ and I paid about 18 flat before TT&T for ours with keyless, a roofrack, AC and muds. We HAD planned on the EX but as he said.... so they have more colors, but we wanted blue :) Funny-- the salesperson did not even try to push the EX on us and strongly recommended installing our own stereo (he didn't say anything was wrong with it, just overpriced) and the dealer met our pricepoint. We had also looked at the 4WD version but the moonroof did not live up to our expectations. We love love the thing DX EX or-- name it poopmobil, it's all the same. It's still really fun to drive and show off!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
And the DX suited me fine. I wanted the SSM, 5spd and the steel wheels, couldn't find that in an EX. I know how to drive, so I don't need anti-lock brakes, I prefer my Rockford Fosgate system and the price was right at $18k with air, after TT&T. :?

·
Registered
227 Posts
KDan-- I'm going to have to take you shopping with me the next time I get a Honda... sounds like you have some mad negotiating skills!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently made a 600-mile round trip to Dallas, I would have been loving some cruise control. The ABS and the overhead storage thingy seem nice too, but I've been very happy with my DX. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have a DX and love her! I don't see the difference in the panels I had mine next to an Ex at the dealers and they looked the same. I haven't had problems with scratches either,other then the dealer scratching it when they installed the a/c .Monday their replacing the whole dash! Hope they don't screw that up! :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
[quote:1c8f81087b="Redpunk"]IBENEZ and I paid about 18 flat before TT&T for ours with keyless, a roofrack, AC and muds. We HAD planned on the EX but as he said.... so they have more colors, but we wanted blue :) Funny-- the salesperson did not even try to push the EX on us and strongly recommended installing our own stereo (he didn't say anything was wrong with it, just overpriced) and the dealer met our pricepoint. We had also looked at the 4WD version but the moonroof did not live up to our expectations. We love love the thing DX EX or-- name it poopmobil, it's all the same. It's still really fun to drive and show off![/quote:1c8f81087b]

18K seems like a lot for the DX even with your options. I paid 19 flat before [email protected] for my 2WD EX plus an extra $440 for keyless and an alarm system. Maybe DX's are more where you are but you paid only slightly less than I did for my EX. Yes, you gotta a roof rack which I don't have but you don't have an alarm system. Replacing the wheels with nicer ones plus adding a stereo makes you practically break even. I think that's why the EX is a better deal.

·
Registered
227 Posts
We also have keyless and an automatic tranny. Are you auto or manual on your EX?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts