Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock receiver on my wife's 2003 Element has gone kaput (keeps blowing the fuse as soon as a new one is put in), so I need to replace it. I want to keep the aux input jack working, of course, but I seem to be having trouble finding an after market receiver that has an input on the back side.

I did some searching of the forum but I didn't find anything on this topic. What have others done to solve this issue?

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
most sony radios have a standard rca input on the back of them that can be made to accept the aux input IF THEY HAVE THE SONT BUS CONTROL CAPABILITIES. what this means is that the sony radios that have a cdchanger/ipod/satradio controller with an rca style input can be made to have this input work as a rear aux input instead of just with a changer/sat radio tuner/etc. i dont know of any specifically as it has been quite a while since i installed a sony unit for anyone. you can also get an input cable that allows this for alpine (ai net type) and pioneer (p bus type) radios. see links below. they are kind of steep for ebay prices but you get the idea and you can find them cheaper if you spend a little time searching, i just did it quick so you could see what i was reffering to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AUX-INPUT-P...in_0?hash=item4cea88bc24&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AUX-INPUT-P...in_0?hash=item35a2f68f11&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Back in 03 I bought an inexpensive Aiwa headunit with an aux input jack on the front. I haven't paid much attention to the market for these things, but there must be more models with this feature now.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The Pioneer Deh-p7100bt has a rear (dual rcas) aux input, you just have to go from rca's to stereo, that's not too difficult, plus you get bluetooth adaptablity, and meta tagging if you have an ipod. Nice unit, you can get it for less than $300.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
it would be easier to help you get one that would do what you need if we knew what you were looking to spend on the whole setup. and "cheap" or "not much" doesnt help cause you and i and 10 other people have a different view of cheap. that will help get you some ideas in your price range rather than it being all over the place price wise. remember you will be looking at 50-60 dollars just for the install parts too for any radio.

oh yeah and update your info on your profile so we know what model truck you have, the differnt trims take different parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys.

I never remember which model she has, or at least the name of it. It's a basic 2003 Element. No sun roof, no leather, power windows and locks.

Cheap would be under $200. We're probably going to sell it after I pay off my Ridgeline in June 2010 and possibly upgrade to an Odyssey. With two kids, the Element just doesn't have enough room now, if she wants to take anyone else along. So I want to put something in that will be decent, but doesn't need to drive the car for her. Seems like most receivers come with a fair amount of features in that range, though. My main concern is having that aux input jack work, especially since I'll be selling it eventually. I've seen the adapters for having cd or satelite connections work with the aux. I was hoping to just plug something, in, though.

So, under $200, rear aux input and a cd player. That's all it must have.

Scott

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
and if it has aluminum wheels it is an ex too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8958924&type=product&id=1216424781227

that sony has an aux on the front and back. the back is an rca jack and must be turned on in the menu for it to work without using a cd changer/hd radio tuner/etc

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9197166&type=product&id=1218056226796

that pioneer will require one of the aux input type plugs i linked earlier. other pioneers will work too but you have to make sure there is a "P" in the model number. you will need a metra 70-1725 wiring harness and a metra 99-7863 dash kit for any single din radio you want to put in there

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
How do you know the radio itself is causing the blown fuse? Have you tried replacing the fuse with the headunit disconnected? Which fuse is blowing? There could be a wire touching ground somewhere.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Replacing the factory HU with anything but an overpriced matching Honda unit will affect resale. Nothing else looks the same. But I suspect that even a $100 unit from Target will out perform the 2003 stock unit. For close to that you get the ability to play mp3 files, and control your ipod. That aux jack on the dash was a successful gimmick in 2003, not so significant now.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
That aux jack on the dash was a successful gimmick in 2003, not so significant now.
agreed. i hooked the aux jack in the console of my sc up to my d1 and i never use it as my ipod is directly controlled via the radio and if a radio has a jack on the front of it then why go thru the hassle of trying to integrate it in thru the back with cut off rcas, etc. other than the fact that you dont have to look at the cord being plugged into the radio, but you do have to look at it plugged into the front of the dash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

Yes, it was determined that the radio was blowing the fuse through the process of elimination.

I ended up buying a Pinorr, double din FH-P8000BT, which has two aux inputs (one front and one rear), a rear USB input with a cable, Bluetooth control of for phones (will download contacts even), and full ipod control via usb. $250 from an Amazon seller. More than I originally wanted to spend, but the Bluetooth phone control sold me since my wife always has the kids and I want to keep them as safe as possible.

Now...to install the thing. Hopefully I can find the right cables at Walmart.

Scott

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
you are going to need a scosche ha-1701b kit and a metra harness 70-1725, neither of which is avalible at walmart. if you dont use the 1725 you will never hear the subwoofer over the highlevel input that the other harnesses use for input to the amplifier. the other option would be to use the cheap honda harness and use the scosche 4 channel line out converter (clearish blue interface) that is about 18 bucks at walmart to knock the level down before the amp. you will also need a cut off rca cable to tie into the sub wiring. see bigal's thread for a diagram on that http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52097

big jump from the original 200 you wanted to spend on the whole setup huh? :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've ordered the mounting brakcets from Amazon, so I should get those tomorrow. Walmart has a Scosche wiring connector for an '03 Element, so I picked that up just in case ($8). I was looking on Amazone for an antennae adpated but they only list '05 and newer. Would that not work on an '03?

Nothing on Amazon for the 70-1725. For now, if I can, I'll hook it up without it and go in later. My wife just wants to have her music back after months without. Anything will beat the silence at this point!

Scott

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I've ordered the mounting brakcets from Amazon, so I should get those tomorrow. Walmart has a Scosche wiring connector for an '03 Element, so I picked that up just in case ($8). I was looking on Amazone for an antennae adpated but they only list '05 and newer. Would that not work on an '03?

Nothing on Amazon for the 70-1725. For now, if I can, I'll hook it up without it and go in later. My wife just wants to have her music back after months without. Anything will beat the silence at this point!

Scott
you wont need one for an 03 and bigal would have been able to tell that is what you had without having to read the whole thread if you FILLED OUT OUT PROFILE :D and if it is your wifes you better do it right the first time or you will never be allowed to touch it again.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12492_Metra+70-1725.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you wont need one for an 03 and bigal would have been able to tell that is what you had without having to read the whole thread if you FILLED OUT OUT PROFILE :D and if it is your wifes you better do it right the first time or you will never be allowed to touch it again.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12492_Metra+70-1725.html
I would, if I had any idea what MODEL she had! I have no clue. A GX, TC, DL, BJ, HQ, BO, QC, BS? Maybe one of those. All I know it's it's a 2003 and that orange poop color. Power locks and windows, subwoofer, no sunroof, and a roach that was stuck in the air vent. But I got that last one out by cranking up the air and covering the other vents with my hands. FWOOSH! The last flight of El Roacho. Right into my face.

$17 for the 70-1725? Does that do anything other than make a clean connection? I mean, any reason I can't just splice some wires by hand?

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
now just add ex to it and you are done :-D if you are ok with soldering or crimping 4 rca ends to the walmart harness then there is no difference. some people are not ok with having to make connections like that so that is why it is always recommended first. center pin of the rcas goes to the + wire of each speaker connection and the outer shield goes to each -. and dont forget, add ex to your profile ;-)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
now just add ex to it and you are done :-D if you are ok with soldering or crimping 4 rca ends to the walmart harness then there is no difference. some people are not ok with having to make connections like that so that is why it is always recommended first. center pin of the rcas goes to the + wire of each speaker connection and the outer shield goes to each -. and dont forget, add ex to your profile ;-)
That's it? Well heck, I can do that. I rigged my Ridgeline so I can watch my backup camera while in drive, after all, so this shouldn't be a problem.

So once the mounting brackets arrive tomorrow, I should be all set! Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
yup that is all that and most of the "basic" amp integration harnesses that have rcas are. metra's 70-1725, 70-7551, 70-1764, 70-8591, 70-(practically any metra non amplified harness number here plus or minus one) :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts