Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a forum search but did not turn anything up.I've just had a discussion with a guy who is telling me the Honda Element is not 100% manufactured and assembled in the U.S. by Amercian workers.Tells me I am naive.I told him otherwise.I heard the last few years even the drivetrain and engine are made in the US.True or not?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
From my window sticker:

US/Canadian Parts Content: 70%

Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content: 20%

Country of Origin: Engine: U.S.A.

Transmission: Japan

(I wonder where the other 10% of the parts come from?)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
... the old "if it's not one of the old American names - it must be foreign built" gag. Always reminds me of a newspaper story of a Mayor in some small town in Georgia making a big deal of throwing out a Town equipment bid for a couple of tractors, 'cause the winner was Kubota, and awarding it to John Deer instead "to buy American and support American workers". The John Deer tractors the town purchased were built in India, and the Kubota's he refused to buy were manufactured in his own State.

·
Registered
306 Posts
No matter where something is assembled or produced at some point the profits (or a licensee/royalty fee) will end up at the parent company, either up front if the subsidiary must buy parts from the parent or later when they send the money back home. If there is an argument to be made about "made in the USA" but by a foreign owned company that would be it.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
The way I look at it is, GM's overpaid executives are in the U.S., while many or most of its workers (including suppliers) are abroad. Honda's top managers are in Japan, but the workers who make the Element and other models are in the U.S. So GM outsources thousands of line jobs, while Honda "outsources" (so to speak) many fewer executive jobs. It's not like GM is a great corporate citizen anyway. And none of my tax money has gone to save Honda.

Bottom line: If GM made Hondas, I'd buy one.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nobody forced the government to send the money to GM. You can complain that the car companies asked for the money and were mismanaged and you'd be right about that but the elected officials making the decision could have always said no.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Depends on who's doing the math. Using the EPA CAFE calculation, wich includes factory labor, domestic content of an 09 Element is 84%. Using National Highway Traffic Safety Administration metric (does not include labor) for measuring domestic content under AALA, domestic content of same 09 Element is only 65%. Although CAFE does not apply to light trucks, it seems to provide a more realistic gauge of domestic content than AALA. Another thing to keep in mind, is that many technical factors cause these numbers to fluxuate from model year to model year. Having said that, Element domestic content has risen from 65% in 04, to 84% in 09. A good trend in my opinion.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have this argument all the time at work. I love the idiot that has the Ford Fusion with the "Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign!" sticker. My E, Civic and Camry were all built in the USA while his fusion is from Mexico.

Idiots keep looking at the name plate only and the parts list. Other "American cars" that are NOT american are the Pontiac G8, Chevy Aveo, PT cruiser, Chevy HHR, Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, some Ford Focus cars, GM Suburban, Lincoln MKZ, Saturn Astra.......... just to name a few.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am a union man for 25 years and have tried to buy American my whole life. Had a Dodge Ram pickup in 1996 and when I got it etched in the windows said " Hecho en Mexico". Turned out to be a piece of garbage,nothing but problems. I was so PO that I tried to scrape it off. Then I just got rid of my 2004 Ford F150,another piece of junk,tranny at 25,000 and another at 51,000. Thats why I went for a Honda and dont care where they are built. American cars are built to break and Japanesse are built to last. Just hit 1000 on my E and so far am loving it. I have my fingers crossed that I will have good luck with it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My Chevy Avalanche was assembled in Mexico - (on a Friday if you know what I mean)...

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
... I heard the last few years even the drivetrain and engine are made in the US.True or not?
Not true. Engine/drivetrain is made in Japan. But if it met your needs better than the other available alternatives when you bought it, why do you feel a need to defend how you spent your money?

FYI, the US percentage content is probably distorted upwards because of the disparity between US wages and wages in foreign countries. Components like the entertainment system are undoubtedly non-US origin. American assembly plant is non-union, there's no telling if all the assemblers are American citizens or not, and workers at suppliers are an unknown quantity.

People make buying decisions based on comparisons of cost and functionality. Either the US as a country can deliver products on an international basis at competitive prices, or it can't. Purchased product content reflects our success as competitors. The Element is declining in sales, not because of it's content, but because the people whose needs it meets are a small and declining percentage of the US market.

That doesn't make them wrong, or their needs any less real.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Not true. Engine/drivetrain is made in Japan.
As per my post above:

From my window sticker:

US/Canadian Parts Content: 70%

Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content: 20%

Country of Origin: Engine: U.S.A.

Transmission: Japan

(I wonder where the other 10% of the parts come from?)
I have verified that the percentages are the same on a '10 with AT.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fusion fog lights

The guy who drives the Ford Fusion with the bumper sticker needs to remove his foglights from the front bumper and read the sticker on them.....Made in China.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
My 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 was built in Mexico and my 2004 Mazda 6s was made in Michigan.:confused:
For awhile Ford had two plants running Foci, one about four miles from my apartment in Metro Detroit (Wayne, MI), and the other in Hermosillo, Mexico. Presently, ALL Ford Foci are built in Wayne, Michigan. The Mazda6 is built at AutoAlliance International, which is a joint venture between Ford and Mazda (and until last year Ford owned the controlling interest in Mazda). Mazda6 and the Ford Mustang are presently built there.

Everyone else so far has made the very valid point that there is no car that's entirely 100 percent U.S. (or any other nation) parts content. The car companies all use outside suppliers for a lot of the componentry, and those suppliers source stuff from all over (and many suppliers are common to ALL the car companies). That said, you have to consider where the car is actually made (assembly), and where the profits are going (company). It's debatable whether buying a U.S. built car is more beneficial to the U.S. or buying a car from a U.S. company that's built in another country is more beneficial. Of course, the majority of the American companies' cars are also built in the United States, so buying one of those is obviously the best alternative in terms of economic benefit.

For example, when I bought my Element, I faced the quandry of buying a foreign company's vehicle that's built in Ohio, versus buying an American company's car. The Union guys here in my building at Ford seem ok with the fact that I bought an American-built car. When I buy my Fiesta, I'll be buying a Ford that's built in Mexico. But, if Ford's making money, then my colleages and I stay employed, Ford Fund continues to do all sorts of charitable work in the United States, and the local economies in the numerous U.S. locales where Ford products are built benefit, as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts