Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a much older thread, I learned of an alternative to the armrests (actually, two... the other is the Steelhorse console, which can be seen at http://www.autobarn.net/premupminvan.html

cost is $99.95

My choice was the Vector portable cooler/warmer. It doubles as an armrest (for both seats) and has cup holders. It can be seen at:

http://www.thecellarstore.com/vec245.html

I looked at two models (both for much less) at Target, the 223 at $59.99, and the 245 at $79.99. The 245 is longer and about 1 1/2" higher. They both fit snugly between the seats, but for me, the 245 with the greater height is more comfortable, and the top opening more convenient than the 223.

Both claim to be able to warm to 140 degrees, and to cool to 40 degrees below the ambient air temperature. Thus, I would expect that, if the car temperature is 72 degrees, my soda should be ice-cold. The manufacturer indicates that it takes a considerable time to get to this point. In my 10 minute drive home from Target, I could feel that the cooling surface had become cold, but that's about it.

I suspect that I will wind up getting an A/C adapter for it, and cooling it overnight in my home and then put it in the car. I will be playing with it, using an as yet uninstalled indoor/outdoor thermometer to get an idea of just what is going on.

It comes with a grey top which fits into my grey interior well.

All of these units simply drop in place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try getting one of those things that you freeze and it keeps cold for a long time. Put that in the cooler w/ your drinks. I just did that on a trip, and it kept everything cold (along w/ the cooler motor)for 8 hours. Sorry I don't know the name of the item, but you can get them in dollar stores and the like.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I went with the Steel Horse Console...it arrived the other day and is perfect! It was about the same cost as the storage arm rest from H and A....but the real plus of this console is tons of hidden storage space. I looked at the one at Target....but it just wasn't quite right for what I needed/wanted in my E....the Steel Horse console is awesome....it looks like it was always there...part of the E from the begining. My husband loves the fact that we both have an armrest....I love the fact that the console storage is large enough to put my purse when I go running or bike riding at the park. Plus I can always stash my digital camera, MP3 player, and other little goodies.

I have pictures of it my E if anyone wants email me!

·
Registered
129 Posts
[quote:6618764ad0="StLouisPenguin"]I went with the Steel Horse Console...it arrived the other day and is perfect! It was about the same cost as the storage arm rest from H and A....but the real plus of this console is tons of hidden storage space. I looked at the one at Target....but it just wasn't quite right for what I needed/wanted in my E....the Steel Horse console is awesome....it looks like it was always there...part of the E from the begining. My husband loves the fact that we both have an armrest....I love the fact that the console storage is large enough to put my purse when I go running or bike riding at the park. Plus I can always stash my digital camera, MP3 player, and other little goodies.

I have pictures of it my E if anyone wants email me![/quote:6618764ad0]

Does the Steel Horse console interfere with the handbrake?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>Does the Steel Horse console interfere with the handbrake?<

I'll leave it to the Penguin to answer that, but I suspect that it's like the Vector, which simply sits there, so lifting the handbrake acts as a lever and slides the unit back so that the handbrake can be operated.

Regards,

Bart

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You are correct Bart....because the console just sits there if you need to put the brake on you simply either slide the console back or like Bart stated you allow it to be raised with the brake underneath. The brake pops up easily and it really doesen't weigh that much...even loaded with all sorts of stuff!

If you want to see pics email me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts