Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've owned any vehicle you know that the plastic on the door jam tends to get pretty scruffy over time. The Element has a big whopping door jam that just begs to be stepped on.

I've found a product from 3M called "Paint Protection Film", which as the name implies is intended for exterior application (done by the pro's) to serve as protection against stone chips..etc. According to an email exchange with someone, it should stick well to plastic provided no wax has been applied (mine is still clean).

I am planning to order a roll in bulk to apply to the door jams. By removing the door jams and tucking the edges under it should stay put.

Does anyone have any less expensive suggestions or experience with this product?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am thinking about Momo sills. The problem is the ridges in the sills on the "E". The Momo sills would not lay flat and would likely get bent up because of that. :(

Your idea sounds like it would work well. I believe that I have seen a like idea with some sort of tape available at Pep Boys.

·
Registered
894 Posts
That would be the person I was thnking of. How could I have fogotten Element-J. The shame, the shame. :oops:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote:da1e2c8810="Ramy"]Check out element-j's website and look at the small stuff photos.
He used some anti-scid tape from an autoparts store and it looks pretty good...

http://www.ecnet.net/users/gallery/element-j/[/quote:da1e2c8810]

I had actually visited his suggestion. Definitely a good option but I am after TOTAL protection for the jam from front-to-back.

I just got a line on where to get some bulk tape.

I'll let the group know how it works when I get it (may be a few weeks). I've looked at other types of tape/plastic but nothing seems to be as transparent as this stuff (or as durable).

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:1a067992a9="jayharley"]Another idea might be to use that skate board tape on the door jams. It is non slip and most likely would stay in place because of the great sticky material on the back. Check it out on the following site. I have not tried it but am considering it.

http://www.skateboard.com/shop/Product.ASP?SKU=3066[/quote:1a067992a9]
That looks like the ticket for me. Are you a "boarder"?

·
Registered
359 Posts
[/quote]
That looks like the ticket for me. Are you a "boarder"?[/quote]

No, I don't know a thing about skateboards. Motorcycles (HD) yes, but skateboards no. Just looks like this type of tape would be perfect. You can cut it to fit. It is flexible. Plus I bet it can take a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lots of good ideas but it appears no one has put any of them into action.

The skateboard tape looks like the most durable solution.

Does anyone have any follow-up to something they tried?

·
Registered
52 Posts
[quote:492999b611="Ramy"]Check out element-j's website and look at the small stuff photos.
He used some anti-scid tape from an autoparts store and it looks pretty good...

http://www.ecnet.net/users/gallery/element-j/[/quote:492999b611]

BAD LINK alert

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I was looking at the site and it appears that it will also help you with Ollie's and Grabs and won't ruin your shoes, which is really good to know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have kids and mine are getting really scuffed up. The problem with skateboard tape (or a lot of non-skid tapes) is that if you should happen to stumble while getting in wouldn't it really take the skin off your knee/shin especially if you're wearing shorts?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
[quote:56e61374e9="LadyJane"]The problem with skateboard tape (or a lot of non-skid tapes) is that if you should happen to stumble while getting in wouldn't it really take the skin off your knee/shin especially if you're wearing shorts?[/quote:56e61374e9]
You shouldn't drink and drive! :wink:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think over time the door sill will develop a brushed patina especially when you spray 303 over it. Remember most cars have carpet there so they don't see it. BUT if you are picky priss like me you want to do something about it.

I started using clear SHELF LINER in this area. It's like Saran wrap with a mild adhesive. That worked well and is cheap. BUT it tends to dogear and looks ratty after a while. Easy to redo but got tired of it.

Took my own advice and got some vinyl diamond plate from http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=33683&parent_id=33682&c=False cut it up and double sided foam taped to the door sill. Its not cheap but its high quality and even the tape won't stick that well its so chemical resistant. Would I do it again? Well I would look first at cheap car floormats or doormats that have a nice pattern and then just cut it up. You need 15.5 x 7.25 x 15.5 x 6.25 inch pieces. I used this stuff on my tailgate also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ropedart,

Noticed from your door sill pictures that you are sporting seat covers... could we get a closer look please?... where did you get them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts