Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the anchors really need to be installed for the floor mats to stay in place :?: I really don't want to cut any holes in my floor. Will the rubber shelf lining you use in the kitchen work to keep the mats from sliding :?: Any other ideas :?:

·
Registered
17 Posts
The dealer forgot to install the mat pegs when I bought my E, so I did it myself. The mats moved a little without the pegs. You really dont even have to cut the floor to install, just look for the little bumps and screw right through them, making sure you hit the hole underneath.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The instructions say there are 3 anchors but I have 4 of the "little bumps". One underneath the driver's and passenger's seats and two on the center console...which one do I use in the center :?:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Honda recommends the anchors for saftey reasons, to keep the mat from sliding forward and interfering with pedal operation. Makes sense to me, although I think the all-weather mats are heavy enough not to move around easily and fit pretty tight by the center console/subwoofer area.

Even so, I installed the anchors. For the all-weather mats, you use the 2 by the driver seat and the far right one, by the passenger door.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn't use the anchors,the area around the sub woofer
has thin rubber. Work the thin rubber under the woofer
the mat will stay put.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Man, I made a dumb mistake here! I read the directions, then went and did the work. Well, I misread and I went ahead and cut out the little bubble on all FOUR screw holes. Man was I ticked at myself when I saw only three were used. It sure pays to read the directions! I simply put a black screw in and that covered the hole. What I may end up doing is finding another bracket and adding a forth grommet to the carpet.

JRock

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my wife a Sunset Orange Metallic EX 4 WD with side airbags, one of the first in the DC area. I enjoy the forums and have learned a great deal about everyone's ideas and experiences.

One of the accessories I want to add are the rubber floor mats, looked for the brands Husky and Black Armour but to no avail. I hate to cut or drill into the floor covering - who knows what will happen in years to come.

Anyway, here is one pausible solution which has worked. I have installed an older pair of carpet floor mats but since they slid around, I cut a large piece of that rubberized material that is used for shelf lining and presto! - the mats stay put. I suspect the same will happen with the rubber ones, probably even better.

I also read of others using the same shelf lining material for the dash openings - great ideas.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wouldn't actually use a bathtub mat for a floor mat but if you have ever looked at the underside of one of these mats with all the little suction cups underneath that would be a great idea to keep them in place. Too bad there aren't any car floor mats made this way.......but then again all cars have carpets in them and there is no need up until now.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think you guys are making to much of an issue over this. Look at the install instructions.

The holes you wind up making are about 1" above the floor, and the place to do it is well marked. You do NOT actually drill a hole; you simply uncover a screwhole.

I suspect that the fourth hole is to be used for right-hand driver models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ended up cutting out all four of the holes...I know.....read the directions.. Oh well, just need to find a black screw somewhere in the house to put into it. hehehe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts