524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Injen for the 07-08 "E"

Tools used
10mm wrench for removing battery.
10mm socket for removing and installing airflow / short ram
5/16 socket for tightening clamps
Pliers for removing the hose clamps.

Ultra simple, start to absolute finish - including looking up my profile on ahm-ownerlink.com for radio code and doing a 5 minute test drive and cleaning up - 1 hour - almost exactly. Directions were very specific. The only thing they didn't really mention was that you'll probably have some coolant leak when removing the hoses from the throttle body, but a simple - put the new hose on and that's done. even in my semi fumbling I only lost about a cup of coolant.

you do have to hit the throttle a bit to hear it, but not too bad.
Pic 1 - before
Pic 2 - with previous air flow stuff out
Pic 3 - with newer hoses and what not in
Pic 4 - with Ram pipe in
Pic 5 - all in
Pic 6 - all of what was removed

Attachments

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
NICE.

Now, can you tell us of how this mod improved your performance ?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well so far, I cruised up the street and back alternating between gas off and full throttle :D

Only had it in for less than an hour. But it got me to thinking, what would be the timeframe to recoupe the costs. Now I'm generalizing here a bit, but lets say you get a 2mpg boost, and you started at 25mpg.

25 x 15.9 = 397.5
27 x 15.9 = 429.3
Net Plus of 31.8 mpg per tank
or 1.1778 gallons per tank
savings at 4.00/gal = $4.70 per fillup.
savings at 5.00/gal = $5.89 per fillup.

lets say you spend $250.00 for the intake (generalizing) it would roughly take 50 tank fillups at $5.00 savings per fillup to break even with it. Granted nobody drains the tank and refills so it'll of course be more than 50 full tank fillups. and also less than 50 if gas average is over 5.00 a gal, more if less than 5.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
well so far, I cruised up the street and back alternating between gas off and full throttle :D

Only had it in for less than an hour. But it got me to thinking, what would be the timeframe to recoupe the costs. Now I'm generalizing here a bit, but lets say you get a 2mpg boost, and you started at 25mpg.

25 x 15.9 = 397.5
27 x 15.9 = 429.3
Net Plus of 31.8 mpg per tank
or 1.1778 gallons per tank
savings at 4.00/gal = $4.70 per fillup.
savings at 5.00/gal = $5.89 per fillup.

lets say you spend $250.00 for the intake (generalizing) it would roughly take 50 tank fillups at $5.00 savings per fillup to break even with it. Granted nobody drains the tank and refills so it'll of course be more than 50 full tank fillups. and also less than 50 if gas average is over 5.00 a gal, more if less than 5.
now thats worth it:shock:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nice work man , looks good , I'm still very thrilled everytime I hear my CAI make it's roar , even if it's mostly a noise maker , the mpg and slight performance increase is oh so worth it !! ~ Chris ...... Now you need the SES Cat Back Setup ..............:cool:

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
InJen Short Ram Intake

I got mine installed just prior to the Ohio International Meet and I love it. The minute I turned the motor over after the install, you could litterally hear it sucking in the air. I've noticed the obvious change in the motor which sounds more serious than it did before but also I've notice better throttle response. My wife asked me what did I do to the car on our trip to and from from the meet. I'm happy with it and the fact that the OEM airbox is out of there and opens up the engine compartment. I also ordered the Hydro-Shield for the filter to keep debree and moisture out of the filter, sort of a pre-filter. Just got it today and I'll slip it on when I get home from work. Just an added piece of protection. I ordered this from Autoanything.com and it comes in red, blue and black.

Also I had a young lady who worked at the East Liberty Plant who happens to install the airbox on the Element and she asked where it was and what the InJen was and why did I change it out. She said she likes what I have better and I told her that the InJen and most aftermarket systems such as this allow for better engine breathing, performance, response and fuel milage.
Got to give my propers to Joemama422 for selling me this CAI as well as the Pilot steering wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I'll spend $100 on it, no more. :neutral:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Nice install man! So far your CEL isn't going off with the intake in Short-Ram mode, which is great. I like how going full throttle makes heads turn, and when your intake is on with an accompanying cat back, it's just wicked!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice install man! So far your CEL isn't going off with the intake in Short-Ram mode, which is great. I like how going full throttle makes heads turn, and when your intake is on with an accompanying cat back, it's just wicked!
Thanks, I'll take a look at the exhaust too, any estimates on the mpg gain with them?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Anyone else notice they made the 07-08 intake shorter around the battery than the pre 07 intake?

Also the SC intake is the same as the LX/EX intake.
For 07-08, I did notice how it was shorter than the pre-07's, the pipe goes through the side hole/fender/well instead of under the headlamp/battery.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
so roughly two mpg are gained with the short ram?
im about to get an injen short ram, and i want it for the extra MPG and sound to go with my new pipes

·
Registered
290 Posts
I bought my K&N short ram intake thru Amazon.com and paid about $170. shipped. I have noticed almost 2 mpg better (1.87). It does turn heads when you get into it a little for sure, but then you wont realize the savings.:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
$170 is the price im getting it for and that includes shipping. im getting it brand new off a user on these boards, hopefully soon!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts