Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I just finished installing my android tablet carpc. It used to be windows based carpc, but I decided to go with android tablet route, for the navigation and many apps choices out there. I want to share this with you guys. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Planning and drawing on the acrylic. I have to redo and re-cut the acrylic 3 times. Glued together. I used the black pipe to be used for the hvac control knobs.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few more pics with the glue. Originally I used black silicone, but I found that it is not strong at all. Using hot glue gun actually works a lot better and I don't have to wait 24 hrs for the silicone to cure. Test fitting with the tab.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used some left over window screen framing for the back support and also for the spring hinge system. I used the spring hinge for cabinet. Seems like I put so much hot glue, but inside there I used 3M high strength double tape. The hot glue is just for double protection, and I know its overkill.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now, the fun part. Hacking the HVAC control system. I have to cut wires and reattached them, since they are going to be relocated to a vertical style. Test fitting the knobs to make sure it fits just nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These couple of pictures hopefully can explain how the system works. By pressing the tablet docks, it will click in and click out like a cabinet door without a handle. I need this to work, because without this system, it will be very very difficult to take the tablet out. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions or ideas that I should have done. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
That's outstanding! I'm was thinking of doing something similar but not to the extent that you've done.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wow, now that is awesome. I've always wanted to do something along the lines of that with my iPad, since I have an iPad 2 and the iPad is just lying around.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You can make some money , building this for others on here ........

Ah , the smell of bondo .........

Genius ...........

Nice job .............

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
That is absolutely awesome!!! Great work!!! Very well thought out and easy
solutions for minor problems (getting the tablet in and out)!! Hacking your HVAC
controls took some huge cojones, major props to you for that!!!

I have a question for you, what are all the little knobs for?? Looks like you have
one in the upper corner, and four between the tablet and the HVAC controls.

·
Registered
804 Posts
That is a really awesome job ! Looks nice and alot of work to be sure, nice feature to be able to take it out of your 'E' when you park somewhere.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is there a specific car stereo app that you use? Or just the basic Android music app and radio tuner?

Oh, and nice work! How much would you charge to make another one if I gave you my center console? :D

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
that is impressive. what did you do with the old carpc?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts