Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://imgur.com/IwQAR
My catalytic converter was stolen from underneath my Honda Element today while it was parked behind my office. It happened in broad daylight. I actually heard the saw but there is construction going on in the building and I didn't think that someone was sawing it from underneath my car. According to the police blotter for Oak Park, about 2-5 are being stolen per week. I tried to be extra diligent while parking it overnight making sure it was parked in a brightly lit highly populated area. However they hit me when my guard was down.

If you stole it and you're reading this **** you.

Can someone look at the image and tell me what other parts have been stolen? I need to price out a replacement, hopefully not from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I really don't want to be the barer of bad news , # 1 hopefully you had insurance , if not , the cost of just the cat from the dealer is about 800 bucks , not including the sensors , their are two , so each is about 120 , that might have gone along with it , I know first hand as I purchased my element with a missing cat , cost me almost a grand with welding , hence the cheap price i paid for her . The element is high off the ground and almost too easy of prey for thieves to resist ....... an aftermarket cat might cost cheaper , but I personally didn't feel comfortable with that , not over 100 bucks savings , if you do go that route , check it VERY carefully, especially where the sensors go , some will sell you something that isn't quite right ......
Good luck

Just saw your image , you're missing the blue sensor $120ish bank 2 , after cat , again go honda part , most aftermarket sensors aren't compatible with your element .

·
Registered
285 Posts
converter theft

a buddy lost his a couple weeks ago here in the cleveland area. sawn out from under his car. in a busy public parking lot in broad daylight. . not a cheap fix.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I never did understand any of these protection devices . I would think , once a thief is under your car , (he/she) just has more to cut . Don't you guys remember the Club ??????? I saw more cut steering wheels then I care to mention .......

·
Registered
257 Posts
I never did understand any of these protection devices . I would think , once a thief is under your car , (he/she) just has more to cut . Don't you guys remember the Club ??????? I saw more cut steering wheels then I care to mention .......
They're not meant to prevent theft, just deter it... If the dude has to spend an extra 10 min under there dealing with a cage or net, he may move on to an easier target...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
They're not meant to prevent theft, just deter it... If the dude has to spend an extra 10 min under there dealing with a cage or net, he may move on to an easier target...
I've never met a thief who would be deterred by anything , they want it , its gone !!! Just pay a few bucks more for proper insurance , would more then cover for any loss .......
Do you know how many steering wheels were hack sawed and bent just to remove the Club , if you're cutting metal exhaust , wouldn't you just move the cut beyond the cage ?
And nothing is easier then a higher off the ground vehicle ......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im in chicago and have started hearing more and more about this happening. I decided to check that Im covered by insurance, then I also went to home depot and got a 5ft piece of aircraft cable, threaded it through the cat then through the frame right above the cat. used a heavy duty compression fitting which ended up hidden in the frame. This wont stop anyone but cost was $6 and took about an hour to put in place. Its visible and difficult to cut with a sawsall. Hoping its enough to deter the common quick theif enough to go somewhere else.

Finally, Im pestering my alderman to sponsor a bill to prevent recycling centers from taking numerous items that simply cant be gotten by people who arent stealing them. No one has access to 20 catalytic converters they just want to recycle on a regular basis. Recycling centers should be held accountable for taking obviously stolen items.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cat Clamp

I purchased a standard Cat Clamp from www.CatClamp.com for $160 with shipping. My preferred Honda mechanic at Coggin Honda in Jacksonville, Florida installed it for $100. Sure, it cost a few bucks but the deterrent value should be worth the expenditure. I travel to many places around the US (including Chicago) and I wanted to insure that my converter was secure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Recycling centers should be held accountable for taking obviously stolen items.
Amen! It reminds me of when you read about guard rails being stolen along lonely stretches of highway...what recycling center is accepting a pick-up truck full of guard rail sections? Catalytic converters should get a serial # applied, just like a VIN#, that is unique to the car and linked to the VIN#. If/when you replace it (how often does that really happen?) they could change the serial# in some sort of official database. Thay way stolen ones could be tracked, as could a suspicious character that shows up with 20 of them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For $260, You could have bought enough Numchucks and throwing stars to wipe out the entire rotten gang. They need their a$$ kicked.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I still like my idea of taking one of those paint bombs bank tellers put in the $$ bags when they get robbed and somehow rigging it so when someone tries to hack your cc out they get blasted...then you just look for the idiot staggering down the street covered in permanent neon pink paint :razz:

·
12,179 Posts
Amen! It reminds me of when you read about guard rails being stolen along lonely stretches of highway...what recycling center is accepting a pick-up truck full of guard rail sections? Catalytic converters should get a serial # applied, just like a VIN#, that is unique to the car and linked to the VIN#. If/when you replace it (how often does that really happen?) they could change the serial# in some sort of official database. Thay way stolen ones could be tracked, as could a suspicious character that shows up with 20 of them.

Airbags have serial numbers on them and that doesn't stop them from being stolen. You can expect that any yard that is accepting stolen cats is on on to begin with. Items such as convertors and airbags are stolen because there is a market for them.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Airbags have serial numbers on them and that doesn't stop them from being stolen. You can expect that any yard that is accepting stolen cats is on on to begin with. Items such as convertors and airbags are stolen because there is a market for them.
Amen.
guard rail, aluminum siding, copper pipe, cat convertors... go after the guy that's buying it... put him away.
problem ends.

·
12,179 Posts
Amen.
guard rail, aluminum siding, copper pipe, cat convertors... go after the guy that's buying it... put him away.
problem ends.

The problem is that you shut down one guy and there is countless others out there doing the same thing.

There was a raid here a couple weeks ago on a shop. They had stolen engines ,airbags, assorted auto parts. Value was pegged at over $200,000 in stolen parts. One of the guys arrested was an insurance appraiser.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody who's purchased and installed a "catclamp", has it prevented the theft of your converter a second time? Mine was stolen in Chicago from behind my office last Thursday. Also wondering if running boards/nerf bars would be a deterrent as well due to the lower ground profile, harder to fit under the vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Catalytic Converter Stolen

I live in Chicago and someone recently crawled under my Element and sawed out my catalytic converter. Apparently its pretty popular around here especially with elements. All together it cost me $1600 to replace everything. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what protective measures to take...they sell "cat cages" but they don't seem very reliable. I've seen some belly guards for Jeeps but I can't find anything similar for an element. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Jen - Chicago

1 - 20 of 179 Posts