Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I loved looking at all the ideas from other users in all the threads on this forum. I put together a few of the ideas that worked for me, and came up with my Honda Element Platform bed. The main use for us was easy storage for quick camping- we had to be able to access our stuff while it was still in the car, while leaving our sleeping materials in place, making it easier to park at hiking trailheads, and for use as a support vehicle during 100 mile running races.

It works amazingly well, and I can put the two platforms in either direction, giving us the option of having 1 seat in the back.

Here is the final product, complete with comfy dog, and another shot of our camping spot.

Details for the build can be found here:
http://coloradoadventureblog.blogspot.com/2013_09_01_archive.html

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looks Good!

Very Nicely Done!!!

Do you have any details? How thick is the platform itself? 3/4 inch? Are the legs PVC pipe??
Just wondering.....

Sorry... just read your post again.... following the link now....

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
HomeDepot has a "Special buy" and is selling some bulk foam pads 72 x 24 x 3 (inches) and also you can get some nice canvas/nylon type covers for these pads for under $30 each
UPC 848625001947 - for the pad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I was surprised that I could actually do it- I have ZERO handy-woman skills :)

I ended up using ABS pipe instead of PVC, because I thought black looked prettier :) They are ~12" high, but the reason I used the ABS pipes is so that I can make new legs, if I want a different height. Also, they have these really nice, flat end caps, that I could drill 2 holes through and attach to the plywood, that felt sturdy enough to support the legs. Home Depot Link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-2-in-ABS-DWV-Cap-C5817HD2/100347638#.Unz_2qVRmf0

The platform is 3/4" thick- my idea was that if I used thicker wood, than I possibly wouldn't need any center support. My husband, dog and I can all sleep on the platform without any sag (total weight 290lbs).

The only details I don't have on my blog are the measurements for where to put the legs- I adjusted and re-adjusted those measurements a few times, to make sure I could put the platforms in either direction, and didn't end up writing down the final measurements.

We just recently used the Element camper on a trip to Moab, and could fit 1 mountain bike on the side, with all of the gear (and dog) next to it. Obviously this required more unpacking at our campsite, but it was still nice to know that the platforms fit (and stack) the other way, with room for the bike!

Very Nicely Done!!!

Do you have any details? How thick is the platform itself? 3/4 inch? Are the legs PVC pipe??
Just wondering.....

Sorry... just read your post again.... following the link now....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads up!

We go back and forth about whether or not to get a foam pad…On one hand, it would be nice to have more head room, and not have to rely on our converter to plug and blow up the air mattress. But on the other hand, the air mattress is really quite comfortable, and when deflated, doesn't take up a lot of room, whereas the foam pad would probably be a bit bulky, all rolled up.

HomeDepot has a "Special buy" and is selling some bulk foam pads 72 x 24 x 3 (inches) and also you can get some nice canvas/nylon type covers for these pads for under $30 each
UPC 848625001947 - for the pad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Yes- simple was key! This is literally the first DIY project I've ever done- I can't even sew ;-)

The biggest unknown for starting this design was whether or not the legs on the outside alone would provide enough support. I decided to use an additional 3rd platform that can slide in underneath the 2 big platforms, right in the middle, with it's own legs in case there was too much sag. It turns out that using the 3/4" plywood provides enough support, especially with all of our camping gear stowed underneath. However, if I ever need more support, I have it! Also, by having no center legs, it gives me a lot more storage underneath!

Thanks for the post - that has to be one of the simplest ones yet! I am thinking of redoing mine now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
jazz82482
Honda Element Owners Club
Element Owners Club is your go to forum community to discuss your Honda Element, and get ideas from your next great trip to your next Honda Element Mod.
Full Forum Listing