Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people have a roof rack but never use it? How many have one just for looks?
Thanks Harley

·
Registered
348 Posts
My racks, a pair of Yakima BasketCases, most definitely get used - here's the recent pack for the Mid-South EOC Camping Hootenanny in Kings Mountain, SC.

Two Action Packers hold the cook-kit, a third carries the tarps, cords and lanterns. A large Seal-Line bag (yellow) for the sleeping bags, extra covers, pillows and inflatable bed (I'm far too old to sleep on the ground) and a second dry bag holds the Eureka Equinox 4 tent, assorted linens and the dog bed.

The racks also serve as anchor points for the Tail Gater awning (Dick's Sporting Goods, $19.95) and a pair of 12-volt camp-site lights for night time setups (Ace Hardware, $7.95).

-Jamie (and Jager)

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Best roof rack for looks!

Harley if this is the question, then go with Honda OEM rack. It was designed for the E. If you want one designed for the E that you also want to use daily, go with TPS Lizard rack. If you already have a Thule / Yak rack and their accessories then stay with what you got and buy the towers / landing pads for the E.
I started with OEM rack, and it was OK for carrying one bike and kayak. I switched to Thule as soon as I started to use it to carry a tandem and long wheel base recumbent. Moved the Thule rack and accessories to my van and am very happy with the TPS Lizard rack.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My E looks naked

The rack I make was born of the FJ look. I wanted My E to look more like a truck. Having the option to load large items on top is just the icing. I leave it on always and throw ladders and equipment up there any time. I have also cut a plywood section that makes the rack a "rooftop" platform for ball games parades etc. I think my E looks naked without a rack. I have seen some very nice E's that never need a rack too.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hey UP&ATOM,

would you mind posting a few extra photos of your rack? I would like to see your lighting set-up a little better. Thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
Can do!

Here ya go...just a pair of Auto Zone rubber-encased tractor lights. less than $10, if I remember correctly.

Perfect camp site lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I take my rack on and off a lot in the summer because I only use it to haul kayaks on the weekends (and not every weekend).

From November to April it is always on the vehicle with a cargo box for snowboards and assorted gear. I'm off to Revelstoke Tuesday, it's been really dumping up there and its time to ride!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts