Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I have an 2008 Element and the TPMS light came on. I took it to the dealer and they said I had a nail in the tire and that the tire would have to be replaced for their ridiculous price.

I have a friend that has worked in tires for 30 years that I trust dearly and has taken care of my tires since I was a kid. I took the tire to him and he said the tire was very fixable and after putting it in the water tank to check for leaks it simply had a bad valve stem fixable for $30 dollars.

Whelp the TPMS light is still on. I've checked my tires pressure repeatedly and I'm keeping all the tires at the high end of what the recomended psi is on the door. Even after driving over 80 mph for 30 minutes the darn light is still on.

The dealership without looking at my tire didn't like the fact that I took it to another tire shop and says the ,"Only way the TPMS light will go off is to replace the tire!"

That irritates me a lot but I believe my friend over the dealership. Of course the bigger irratation is that flipping light being on a four month old car! I really don't want to pay Honda 400$ to change one tire just for a light, but I'm not sure what to do.

Any suggestions on resetting the light? am I wrong to fully trust my buddy and the great job he has been doing on my tires? Has Honda lied to me??? What to believe! OK sorry about the dramatics there, but any help would greatly be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I took the tire to him and he said the tire was very fixable and after putting it in the water tank to check for leaks it simply had a bad valve stem fixable for $30 dollars.
Did your friend fix or replace the valve stem?

The TPMS sensor is part of the valve stem.....if it was replaced the TPMS system in the vehicle will need to be reprogramed. Do a search for reprograming TPMS. (It is very possible that your tire friend would not be aware of this.)

Take it to another Honda dealer. It is still under waranty right? Honda warranties are valid at any Honda dealer. It is pretty obvious the 1st is ignorant, stupid, devious, or some combination of these.

When the new dealer fixes the problem be sure and write a nice simple letter expaining the situation and the (hopefully) positive outcome! Make and mail 4 coppies of the same letter, one for the 1st dealer, one for the 2nd, one for Honda corporate, and one for your tire dealer.

Good luck.

Will

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Whelp the TPMS light is still on. I've checked my tires pressure repeatedly and I'm keeping all the tires at the high end of what the recomended psi is on the door. Even after driving over 80 mph for 30 minutes the darn light is still on.
Try putting a couple of extra psi in the tires the TPMS system can be a bit sensitive.

And what AG said.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow that was fast! Thanks guys...

I'm doing a search for reprogramming the TPMS and so far not having a lot of luck finding what I specifically need to do...

driver over 25 with psi at 5? drive over 80 with psi 3 over the recommended? I'm pretty sure the first one was just a typo...lol

anyhow I actually ran over a nail so a new tire is getting repaired this morning...(not been a good tire month).

I asked my buddy if he could look into resetting the TPMS so he is working on it, but any tips you guys might be able to suggest would be great. My mechanical knowledge is about 0% so I would love to be able to have his reset it while he is fixing my other tire.

I probably am overlooking in the search feature a very simple step by step in how to reset the light, but as I am searching "at work" I'm a little preoccupied.

Thanks again for such quick and helpful responses...I certainly will use all the info!

Oh and thanks for welcoming me to the club, I really do love this car! Oversensitive warning lights and all!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
OK so I have an 2008 Element and the TPMS light came on. I took it to the dealer and they said I had a nail in the tire and that the tire would have to be replaced for their ridiculous price.
!
Yeah, never take a tire issue to the Dealer - they a) have little "tire" knowledge, and will mostly be pulling guesses out their a$$, and b) will charge you double the going rate.

If your friend was unable to solve the TPMS light issue, try a Discount Tire in your area. They fix flats for free (even if you are not a customer of theirs), and their shops have pretty high standards, and are honest. Most who work there "own" a piece of the company. It is easy to damage a TPMS monitor when changing a tire, so that might be the cause.

Someone else on the board also posted that they found, during a tire issue, two front TPMS monitors on their new E that were not for the E, but another Honda model (from the Factory no less) that caused a similar light-on all the time problem, after a flat tire change (that damaged the TPMS, replacing it with the "right" one -leaving one odd-man-out sensor in place.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Looks like what I thought would be an easy replacement turns out that the dab blammed nail broke the tire wall (er something...again I'm not real mechanical). So he said I could put a factory tire replacement for 180 which is lower quality and has no warranty or for 640 I could get a whole set of BF Goodwrench long traction something something great tire which is warrantied for 60,000 miles.

Even though this is the exact wrong time (hollidays are exspensive) I think replacing the set and having peace of mind is worth it then to pay 200$ to put a factory tire with no warranty back on and wait for more tire problems....

Does this sound reasonable?
Should this fix the TPMS light?
Did I just blow a lot of money for no good reason?

Thanks again guys for all the help and suggestions!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Looks like what I thought would be an easy replacement turns out that the dab blammed nail broke the tire wall (er something...again I'm not real mechanical). So he said I could put a factory tire replacement for 180 which is lower quality and has no warranty or for 640 I could get a whole set of BF Goodwrench long traction something something great tire which is warrantied for 60,000 miles.

Even though this is the exact wrong time (hollidays are exspensive) I think replacing the set and having peace of mind is worth it then to pay 200$ to put a factory tire with no warranty back on and wait for more tire problems....

Does this sound reasonable?
Should this fix the TPMS light?
Did I just blow a lot of money for no good reason?

Thanks again guys for all the help and suggestions!
Total rip-off - the Fatory Goodyear Wrangler HP sells for $141 at tire rack.
The BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour's are $95 each.

RUN, don't walk to your nearest All Tire place (and ask if they will match TireRack prices). Even if you have to tow it. :twisted:

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Replacing the tire will have no affect on the TPMS sensor, assuming it is damaged or replaced. (w/o being programed by a dealer)

A Honda dealer will Electronically reprogram the system to reconize the sensor(s). This is why putting on snow tires/wheel assemblys w/ their own TPMS sensors will require a trip back to the dealer.

I've heard several people mention this trick, but I have no confirmation that it works in all situations. I have an E w/o the tire nannies, so I''m not completely up to date on TPMS stuff. Either way, if your car is under warranty Honda should fix it for you....free!

the factory tires aren't great anyway, and I'm sure you can find a nice replacement set of some good quality tire for about $400. Shop around a bit. Or just replace the one (the warranty is worthless anyway).

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I've heard several people mention this trick, but I have no confirmation that it works in all situations. I have an E w/o the tire nannies, so I''m not completely up to date on TPMS stuff. Either way, if your car is under warranty Honda should fix it for you....free!
Yeah, I got a little more information on that via PM with HondaTech. It's the final proceedure for verifying that the system is working. It has nothing to do with "fixing" anything. Reprogramming the sensors is a shop-only deal because only the dealer has the correct tool. Please consider this your non-conforming confirmation.

I'm glad I asked him about this one before I went to the gas station and flattened all of my tires.:razz:

I've been running around with the light on for so long I may not bother to get it fixed. :rolleyes: BTW it's totally my fault it's on, not a malfunction.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Replacing the tire will have no affect on the TPMS sensor, assuming it is damaged or replaced. (w/o being programed by a dealer)

A Honda dealer will Electronically reprogram the system to reconize the sensor(s). This is why putting on snow tires/wheel assemblys w/ their own TPMS sensors will require a trip back to the dealer.

the factory tires aren't great anyway, and I'm sure you can find a nice replacement set of some good quality tire for about $400. Shop around a bit. Or just replace the one (the warranty is worthless anyway).

Trick...
I'm too broke (cheap) to pay the dealer 85 clams to do the reprogram for me. QUOTE]

With you key in the ignition in the 'lock' position and no other vehicles with TPMS within 20 feet or so, let the air out of each sensor rapidly, down to 15 pounds or so, then reinflate. Do this one wheel at a time and after all four are done, start the E and the reprogram cycle is complete. This is what you get for your $85 - "no pixie dust".

I am not sure if that will work... Because the TPMS transmitters will not function until a certain rotational speed / centrifugal force is present in each wheel. I am not sure how a 'pressure cycling' would reset the system. I am told by my Honda stealer that a special Honda gadget is required to program the sensors...

·
Registered
199 Posts
TPMS is a pain - I know it's supposed to be helpful and all. Meh.

But I agree with what some of the above say, go to another dealer. I did this and it was verified I had two Odyssey Sensors (which apparently aren't meant for the Element? Could never quite get this clarified) and the dealer replaced them under warranty.

They said they'd seen weirder things happen...still not sure what went on...but they had the sensors and the OEM ones weren't right. :-o

1 - 16 of 16 Posts