Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day.

I have gone from never having owned an Element to buying two in the course of about three weeks. I bought an 07 LX AWD in decent shape for 3500 which runs and drives very well but does have some needs and then bought a 08 LX AWD which is in much better overall condition but is suffering from the dread 2646 and related series of engine codes.

I really enjoy the 07 (only drove the 08 from the dealer to home) and appreciate the sense of space in the cabin with so much glass. I really bought the first one to be my daughters first car as she is attending college in the Upper Penninsula and the AWD will be handy for her given the weather that is prevalent there.

So far I have done basic maintenance on them, changing fluids and fixing minor this and thats as needed. Haven’t had much luck with the solenoid issue, it looks like I need to pull the other screen under the PS pump to see what that one looks like having already replaced the solenoid. The oil looked very dark and a bit thick so I am sure that was a contributor to the problems it is suffering, likely some deferred maintenance.

Do people actually follow the oil life indicator or is it better to just stick to a regular 3-4K change schedule regardless? I am sure I will have other questions as I go along but will churn through the many threads extant to find as many answers as possible.

Thanks

Karl

·
Registered
617 Posts
That's great Karl! From your picture, except for the differences in the grills, it's hard to tell them apart! : - )

On my '03 EX the oil life reminder is set at 10K. Not sure what yours is set at. (And you may be able to change it on later models, for all I know, so......) Most times the 10K mileage interval between oil changes is WAY TOO LONG! Here in FL with the dusty conditions about 5K miles is as long as I would ever consider. 4 - 4.5K is better still.

And, the dreaded P2646 can indeed be caused by too much time between oil changes, and the little filters getting clogged as a result. : - (

Here are some recent threads on the P2646 subject that should be helpful to you:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks. I will churn through those threads.

I will keep my oil changes a good bit shorter than 10K, that is a long way for not much oil.

All the best.

Karl

That's great Karl! From your picture, except for the differences in the grills, it's hard to tell them apart! : - )

On my '03 EX the oil life reminder is set at 10K. Not sure what yours is set at. (And you may be able to change it on later models, for all I know, so......) Most times the 10K mileage interval between oil changes is WAY TOO LONG! Here in FL with the dusty conditions about 5K miles is as long as I would ever consider. 4 - 4.5K is better still.

And, the dreaded P2646 can indeed be caused by too much time between oil changes, and the little filters getting clogged as a result. : - (

Here are some recent threads on the P2646 subject that should be helpful to you:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts