Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi gang! hope all had a great thanksgiveing OK here it is! radiator was seeping bad on the seam plastic to metal ripped it out brought it to a reputable radiator place in front of me dipped it power sprayed it and then pressure tested it couldnt be saved cracked plastic. bought a new one NO not oem but decent with a three yr warranty fit perfect only $130 of course my labor..job is done fill the radiator with oem coolant as well as the reserve drove around for a bit let the air out toped off the radiator. drove for about 45 mins mild traffic to heavy. parked and noticed steam coming from front end opend the hood. steam comeing from the cap and the side vent too reserve..OK simple need a new cap wierd coincedence that morning it was fine anyway got a new one it fits perfect blew threw the hose wich goes to reserve no blockage////someone please tell me how come reserve is excactly at the level that i first filled it and i still had to add some coolant to the radiator thank you for any help

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
you need to let the motor idle, heater on, with the radiator cap off, for two fan cycles to remove the air bubbles/pockets from the system.
:confused:
Why "heater on"? The coolant is flowing through the heater coil all the time and not just when the heater is "on".

·
Registered
78 Posts
:confused:
Why "heater on"? The coolant is flowing through the heater coil all the time and not just when the heater is "on".
Cars have all been that way for about 20 years or so.
the element has a water flow shut off valve in the heater hose line.
FYI, many vehicles have had this shut off valve for over 20 years, older ones were manually operated.

picture of said valve:

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
the element has a water flow shut off valve in the heater hose line.
FYI, many vehicles have had this shut off valve for over 20 years, older ones were manually operated.

picture of said valve:
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo285/jhuckaba/element/DSC05551.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I KNEW I wasn't going crazy. Thank you!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts