Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is purchasing an 03 AWD Element with 150,000km. Price is $9500. Does anyone have any issues or input, anything he should look for before buying? He is a retired Honda Plant employee of 25 years, so he knows a thing or two, but the Element wasn't made in Alliston Ontario. Is there anything weird, being this is the first year E? Thanks in advance, and Happy Fathers day to all the pops out there!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only important 2003-specific problem was the windshield, and that would have been addressed by now if it were an issue with that specimen.
Thanks, I thought I read that somewhere. I told him to join the EOC before he buys, but he insists I do his bidding. Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Beware And Be Pro-Active

I just bought mine after a year into looking for a nice used low mileage 03 E. Be pro-active in finding out clues and the history of the vehicle. It was a learning experience for me-good and bad. My advice are the following besides test driving the car:
  1. Carfax the vehicle(hopefully available in Canada). Mine was clean but there was a question mark. The car's history stopped on 2007. 3 years unaccounted for. Beware. I'll explain later.
  2. Send E to the Honda dealer to have it checked mechanically and Body damage. Be very specific that you want this done. Some dealers are lazy and they won't do what they are told. They checked mine and gave it a good mark so I thought.
  3. Check accident history through DMV by using the license plates or vin. They can find any accidents if ever.
  4. Make sure you have a magnet piece-does not matter how big to see if body work was done. Lay the magnet on flat metal surfaces to see if it adheres to bodywork if not then there was repair done. Check hinges from doors, liftgate, hood etc...trust me you feel better if you do this after you close a deal.

Hopefully this would determine your decision.
My story ends with this, I bought my 03 at 73,000 miles for a below average price which was good. The bad, I did my homework as far as following what I just mentioned above. The problem I had was I did not scrutinize enough about the car's history-3 year's missing in Carfax and the dealer did not check the bodywork besides the mechanical aspects of it. So besides the car looking sharp and believing that it was in good shape, I find out that it had extensive bodywork from the rear quarter panel while I was cleaning the car. I Open the rear lift gate hinge which shows shoddy bodywork that I missed while inspecting the car prior to buying it. I got a magnet and run it along to the rear door. It won't stick, body repair was done. Surprise! I detailed the car and I found broken tinted glass in the spare tire storage, another sign of an accident that broke the rear window glass panels. I assumed Carfax did not have it on their report since the owners/seller did not report whatever accident it was and had it repaired themselves to make it sellable. So it looked clean except the tell tale sign of the missing 3 years as Carfax mentioned-God knows why. All I can do is pray that mechanically it is in good condition which it is right now. All I can say to the sellers is what goes around, comes around.

I hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it!

Well, he bought it. It was not an AWD, but he got it for 9000, and it is absolutely in mint condition. Not a scratch on it. It has a grille guard, and side step bars. Now I just need to convince him to join EOC.

·
Registered
44 Posts
FYI...

We have the Element listed in my signature and it has almost 153K miles (U.S.), running great. We drive mostly HWY miles and still get 23-23.5 MPG. The only abnormal repair on this car was a rear pinion seal (leak complaint) earlier in its life. We are the original owner, purchased new.

Stock Goodyear Wranger tires lasted about 50-60K miles. We had Michelin LTX M/S tires install after that. Still on them at 153K miles and are now thinking to replace before winter. Yes, unbelieveable! A tire suggestion when it comes time to replace, expensive but well worth it. Great in all conditions, including snow and rain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts