Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get an E, but am on the fence about getting the 2WD or the 4WD. I most definitely will be hitting some snowy mountains from time to time....but only about 2 to 3 times a year would that be during "chains required".

So I'm wondering if anyone with a 2WD regrets not getting the 4WD??

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
From someone who uses it all the time, the AWD works well, pretty seamlessly actually. It may cost you a mpg or two, a little bit of maintenance and weight so you should factor that into the equation as well as the initial cost outlay.

If you are a good driver, have good tires and/or chains and are only going to use it 2 or 3 times a year (do you drive on muddy roads or the beach - the AWD is not just for snow) it may be a tough choice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are a good driver, have good tires and/or chains and are only going to use it 2 or 3 times a year (do you drive on muddy roads or the beach - the AWD is not just for snow) it may be a tough choice.
I really don't believe that I will ever drive on the sand at the beach, as most beaches have paved parking lots or you just park in the street and walk down....and I think it's safe to say that I won't be going through too much mud for the same reasoning. I live in Southern California......and it's totally sad, but just about every piece of dirt is covered with concrete here now.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm looking to get an E, but am on the fence about getting the 2WD or the 4WD. I most definitely will be hitting some snowy mountains from time to time....but only about 2 to 3 times a year would that be during "chains required".

So I'm wondering if anyone with a 2WD regrets not getting the 4WD??
I have the FWD. I live in a area that gets up to 80 inches a year of rain. I had a FWD Honda back in the late 70's and drove all over Utah in the winter and did find. I have no doubt that AWD has its advantages. It was not worth the added expense.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
There are in depth explanations of the Real Time four wheel drive system elsewhere on these boards- however -here is a simple version.

When your front wheels begin to spin faster than the rear and are losing traction, the dual pump system engages and power is applied to the rear wheels too. When the wheel speeds equal out the power transfer stops. No switches, no levers, no driver intervention - not even any electronics are involved.

If you ever drive in heavy rain, the 4WD can be a real advantage, plus it helps out when pulling away from slick oily stops at busy intersections.

I'm glad my E is 4WD, though I have owned many FWD and RWD cars too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah ha......so I'm seeing that rain is also a good factor to consider.......but then again.......I can count the rain days we have here on one hand. So maybe not. :?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When your front wheels begin to spin faster than the rear and are losing traction, the dual pump system engages and power is applied to the rear wheels too. When the wheel speeds equal out the power transfer stops. No switches, no levers, no driver intervention - not even any electronics are involved.
Hey Steamloco, that's a great sum of how it works!! Pretty cool technology!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No snow, no mud, no rain and no sand?!?

Where's the fun in that?
LOL! Yeah when you put it like that......does sound boring huh. Well, the sand at the beach is a 10 minute drive away from here, and the snow is a three hour drive from here. It's just that the path to both of them is paved!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Oh and don't forget LoneWolf, if you want the rear sunroof its only available with the All wheel drive. I'd say if you're on the fence then part of you wants the AWD, so go ahead and get it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ive had both 2wd and awd elements.
The 2wd will go almost everywhere the awd did.

If your going to drive deep-deep snow or mud/ sand the awd might be worth it to you. Getting stuck sux and it can take the fun out of a trip fast.
If they made the Sc in awd id have one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Help spur the economy and pony up the extra $$$ for the AWD! You won't have any chance of regret if you get it:D
Oh my gosh! That's totally the problem! The economy hasn't exactly been very kind to me......I'm on a "need" not "want" basis right now. Plus buying a Japanese car isn't going to help any of the poor folks in Detroit USA at all. But right now with my limited funds I have to do whats right for me you know? But we don't need to get into that trip right now! :twisted: I feel guilty enough.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
Oh my gosh! That's totally the problem! The economy hasn't exactly been very kind to me......I'm on a "need" not "want" basis right now. Plus buying a Japanese car isn't going to help any of the poor folks in Detroit USA at all. But right now with my limited funds I have to do whats right for me you know? But we don't need to get into that trip right now! :twisted: I feel guilty enough.

No need to feel guilty....Buying an E helps keeps the men and women at the Element plant in East Liberty Ohio employed. And we can't forget about the other factories making US supplied parts........:D

·
Registered
612 Posts
Feel good about buying a e they are built in the good ol USA by americans.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice! Thanks givememytoys and lizzurd! That actually helps.

So the parts come from Japan but are assembled here?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Oh so does the AWD just kick in automaticallty or do you flip a switch or something?
It automatically kicks in the rear wheels when slippage is detected. Last week we had some snow and sleet in Northern Virginia and I did some joy riding in an open parking lot. You can feel the AWD kick in and straighten the vehicle up immediately.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts