Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
It would make sense that this might fall under the persons auto-insurance, but I would be interested in any other comments.... I have chips and one looking like it will develop into a crack someday...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The insurance company should pay if it's an accident.
If this is going to an ongoing problem because the vehicle was produced with an angle on the windshield that is going to keep happening because of design, then I think HONDA should come up with a plan.
Don't you agree????

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree, I just don't how thats realistically going to happen. Maybe in a perfect world... If any one has any ideas I'd definitly be curios to hear them. As for now, I hate to say it but it's easier to keep an eye on the chip, and just hope it doesn't spread. I guess at some point I should check on the warrenty coverage and all...

·
Registered
65 Posts
The windshield on the Element is quite vertical and is prone to getting cracked from stones. Unlike many cars that have very angled windshields it is not surprising to hear of a high number of cracked windshields. Certain Jeep models have this same problem for the same reasons. About the only thing you can do is to buy windshield coverage with your insurance as soon as you insure the vehicle, not later. If you buy it later you'll probably need to have the windshield inspected before your insurance company will cover it. Also, you can get each chip filled to keep the chip from turning into a crack - I don't know if this is covered by insurance, if not it runs about $50 a shot at most glass shops here in Ohio.
There is no bug deflector in the world that will keep a stone from hitting your windshield, wish it were so, but it isn't. The high potential for cracked windshields is part of the price of entry with this vehicle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Until I get my manual AWD E in June, I'll be driving my 2001 Wrangler. It has an almost verticle windshield, and has been hit by more than it's share of stones. Some so large I thought they were going to come through, but so far, not even a chip. I think the Element windshield cracking has a lot more to do with inferior glass, than angle. If you can turn on your defroster on a cold day, and crack your windshield (which some E-owners have done) it is not an angle problem. I think this issues rest solely on Honda's glass manufacturer. If your windshield cracks for any reason, complain to Honda directly. If the numbers of broken windshields reaches a critical point, they will be forced to address the issue with a stronger glass.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am not sure how other states operate. Here in MA, any crack in a windshield can be fixed, by an authorized glass repair company, and completely paid for by the insurance company. No deductable, and no surcharge on your insurance. My previous car was a Mitsubishi Montero with a very large, flat, upright windshield. It cracked 4 times during my long ownership, with a fifth crack starting when I traded it in. I had the windshield replaced everytime, no charge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts