Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - long time lurker, first time poster... I'm about to have all four rotors and sets of pads replaced on Friday. Beyond really worn brakes, I've got a strange noise that actually sounds like light brake squeal or a "squeaky wheel" sound when traveling at low speeds (like around the neighborhood, parking lots, etc) and making slow turns - but I'm not hitting the brakes. Is there something I should have the mechanic look for at the same time? Struts, wheel bearings...? Or is it a symptom of my brakes? They are very, very worn. I've never experienced such a sound unless I was actually hitting the brakes... but even though these are very worn, they don't really make any noise during operation so I'm kind of perplexed.

I've got just over 60,000 miles on a 2003. Never had any problems with the car until now - though it could be more of a maintenance issue than a "problem". Just had the serpentine belt replaced at the Honda dealer during the 60,000 mile service - hoping that would take care of it (it kind of sounded like it could be a belt noise). It needed to be replaced anyway, but the sound is still there. The dealer wanted a ridiculous amount of money to replace the brakes and investigate the noise, so I said I wasn't really interested in paying over $1,700 for a 60K, belt, and brakes and got out while I could. I've been taking it religiously to the dealer for all services to this point. But I think I'm going to switch over to a recommended private garage due to costs. We just bought a new Chevy Traverse, so this is now my mud car for mountain biking, snowboarding, etc...

Anyway, any suggestions as to what it could be are welcome... thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Check and torque the bolts holding on your calipers!
Some Elements have been know to have a propensity for the caliper bolts to loosen.
This could cause an unusual sound, not to mention a significant danger.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I've got a strange noise that actually sounds like light brake squeal or a "squeaky wheel" sound when traveling at low speeds (like around the neighborhood, parking lots, etc) and making slow turns - but I'm not hitting the brakes.
Does the squeal stop when you do hit the brakes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the noise does seem to go away when braking. It also seems to happen more or louder when the wheel is turned, especially to the left... but I've also heard it just rolling down the street slowly (no brake, no accelerator, no bumps).

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Yes, the noise does seem to go away when braking. It also seems to happen more or louder when the wheel is turned, especially to the left... but I've also heard it just rolling down the street slowly (no brake, no accelerator, no bumps).
Ah-hah, more information.

I'm about to have all four rotors and sets of pads replaced on Friday.
Let us know if the noise has disappeared when you get it back.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Exactly the symptoms in my 2007 2wd.
My brake caliper on the left front wheeel was falling off.
Check the caliper bolts and torque according to spec

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK - thanks for the suggestions... I'm going to assume that replacing pads and rotors will require a re-torque of the caliper bolts, so we'll see what happens after that. I'll at least mention it to the mechanic and see what he says.

The odd thing about that is I just had in the Honda dealer last week for a 60K service and they didn't mention anything about a caliper falling off... and I thought brake cleaning/inspection was part of that.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The brake pads are equipped with a low limit scraper and it will cause a squealing sound at lower speeds and go away when you hit the brakes. Your noise should go away when you get the brakes done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK - file this one under: brake noise

Got the new pads and rotors installed on all four wheels and she's quiet now. Thanks for everyone's comments/suggestions.

BTW, the shop I went to charged me $469 for the entire job... Honda dealer wanted over $1000. I think that's the last time I go to the dealer for anything on this car. Granted, they aren't "Honda" rotors or pads, but they're quiet and my car stops, so I'm happy for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts