Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been loking for something to put on top of the plastic floor that will give some friction (resistance to sliding) for objects in the cargo area.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:17dd24e280="Bart Thomas"]I have been loking for something to put on top of the plastic floor that will give some friction (resistance to sliding) for objects in the cargo area.

Any ideas?

Thanks.[/quote:17dd24e280]

Drawer liner/carpet mat - you can get rolls of it at Home Depot cheap.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I got a utility carpet almost the exact color of the floor at Linens'nThings for $9.99.....I liked it so much I went back and got a second one for when the seats are either out or hung up!

Alot of other people have posted about buying the Rubbermaid type of drawer liner and just rolling it out when they need it.

The cargo tray and carrier are other options as well, plus there is a picture of a cargo carrier bought at Wallmart for like $14 in the photo gallery.

And yet still other people have simply bought rubbermaid containers for the cargo area.

Good Luck! I am sure you will find the option that is best for you!

·
Registered
156 Posts
The liner would be a cheaper idea, but I wanted a nicer close to factory finished look:

http://www.imageentertainment.com/E5.htm

I do like the liner idea for the cargo area when the seats are out. I had a factory bedliner that covered the whole area in my Durango and it worked great. Wish i could find something similar for the E.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I too like the factory look, and there are alot of nice HONDA items you can get.. the cargo net is nice, cause you can make a pocket to stick things in.. or you can have it flat to hold larger items down.. very versatile..

what kinda things are scooting around.. that would help know what will work best.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I just did THIS. I have the feeling it's going to work out really well.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It looks very nice Einstein....do you keep it in all the time or remove it when you are not hauling? If you keep it in are there "slits" or "holes" for the back seats to lock into place?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
a grid would work great, or if smaller pots the carriers for 2 liter soda bottles does great.. what size are you working with, and what hieght?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well I just installed it today. I have my rear seats packed away in the closet, so I guess I'll leave it that way for a while. We'll see if I decide to cut holes in it for the rear seats.

For as little as it cost, I might make two versions, one with the rear seat latch holes, and one without... I'll use the one I already made as a template for the second one if I do that.

[quote:f6f442cb55="StLouisPenguin"]It looks very nice Einstein....do you keep it in all the time or remove it when you are not hauling? If you keep it in are there "slits" or "holes" for the back seats to lock into place?[/quote:f6f442cb55]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote:42a160153d="GYPSYTDA"]a grid would work great, or if smaller pots the carriers for 2 liter soda bottles does great.. what size are you working with, and what hieght?[/quote:42a160153d]

I'm working with both bonsai pots (largest about 17 x 14") and nursery pots up to 10 gallon size. Heights of trees in pots can get up to more than 40"

As you can see, these are not the sort of bonsai one buys in the mall or at Home Depot. (Avoid these for reasons I will provide if asked.)

Einstein: You look just like his picture! :wink: I like your idea.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
[quote:d08981260a="Einstein"]I just did THIS. I have the feeling it's going to work out really well.[/quote:d08981260a]

Hi Einstein,
Saw pics of your floor mat. I noticed other mods you have done to your E. What are "Xpel Headlight Protective Film, Fumoto Drain Valve"?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
so the weight of these pots should not be hard to secure.. doing a bungee grid might work.. you cold attach this to the various hooks and hold downs.. or create a wood or metal frame to pop in the back.. and then place the pots in each grid square.. since the bungees are elastic it would be custom and hug the pots well preventing them from tipping.. with the size and mass that does make them easy to secure, but you need more then to keep them from scooting around. you need something to keep them from tipping since they sound just tall enough to do so right?

·
Registered
90 Posts
wal mart has I three section adjustable colaspable storage net on a metal and plastic frame on sale for 12.95 that worked great for me all I did was buy a cheap 9.99 yago mat in the sporting good section(they come in many colors to match your E) and I layed it out on the floor of the E. It works kinda like those mats you put on your kitchen cabinet shelfs!

·
Registered
447 Posts
uh, the carpet doesn't smell :shock:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Same here.

It was rainy the day I picked my E up, and I was sliding everywhere. Now the front area is pretty non-slip, even when it's went outside.

Passenger area is still pretty slick, but it gets a lot less use. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GypsyTDA: My WalMart has none of those goodies :cry:

The nursery pots are shaped like regular flower pots. Except for the very tall bonsai pots, which are covered with Saran wrap and carried at an incline, the very tallest of these pots is about 6" tall.

If you think of the bonsai that you see in the mall or at Home Depot, the proportions of the pots are about the same, but these are much larger (and more valuable).

I may actually wind up finding some anchors that I can install or have installed. They don't need to support a lot of weight, just helpaintain inertia.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In addition to a floor mat of some type (I've ordered the Lloyd's Rubbertite full cargo mat from www.roadworksauto.com/lloydrubber.htm - supposed to be less skidding - haven't received it yet so don't know for sure), you need something to pack around the bases to hold them tight. If the plant can be tipped it's easier (I use a soft duffel back with gear in it to rest the trunk on so it's supported & tie a trash bag around the pot so soil doesn't spill), then you can secure the pot from rolling by blocking it. If it's a large bonsai this wouldn't work too well due to the branches being less flexible than small landscaping trees/shrubs. But you need to create a block system to stop the pots from moving & tipping (build a wood frame to fit the E, then have adjustable cross bars to fit the pots - you can slide the pot in, then put the cross bar in place so you don't have to tip the pot into the frame, weighted blocks, bungees will help stop the sliding but won't help tipping, etc.).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts