Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone at the EOC Meet in Dublin, OH mentioned some interest in the JDM Element gas door. In Japan, the Element had a remote gas door release. The US version has a little fingerhold for opening the door. The JDM version has cleaner lines, but will be a little more challenging to open. It might even make people think there is a remote release and discourage them from stealing your gas (if that's even possible in the Element) or encourage them to use a crowbar to open the door. At any rate, I'm guessing the part will be a direct screw-on replacement for our current doors.

I've spoken with Yosi of J's Garage fame (the PDL switch plate people) and he's looking into it for us. I have no idea of the price. I've asked him to find out what colors are available. I'm hopeful it'll be in colors to match the plastic cladding on 2003-5 Elements and the LX of later years. I'm not sure there will be painted ones (I'm not sure painted panels ever made it to Japan ... the Element died there in 2005 or 2006, I think). I guess it could be painted to match. I'll be placing another PDL switch plate order on June 30th and I plan to order a gas door for myself. It may not fit. It may not be easy enough to open. I just thought I'd throw this out to judge interest. You can be bold & order one and hope it works, or play it safe and let me be the guinea pig.

If you're interested, let me know. I'll be putting the order together on June 29th for a June 30th placement. Below is a photo of a NBP JDM Element with the sleek gas door and a photo of my US gas door.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
depends on price...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
depends on price...
Absolutely!

I'm guessing/hoping it will be $40 or less. The PDL switch plate is $28. I thought I saw someone say the front fender cladding was around $200. So, I'm guessing $40 or less + S&H. Hopefully, I'll have a price tomorrow.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's an old thread regarding the front cladding panels off JDM Elements. I'm not sure if any of the information is still germane.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30466
Thanks, Rocket Dog san! I thought it was your post, but I wasn't sure. Actually, it looks like that price quote was for two fenders, correct? If so, that part was only about $100 + S&H, so I can't imagine the gas door would be over $40 ... but, hey, who knew the Pentagon would pay $700 for a toilet seat?

Be patient on the price, folks. Yosi is a good man, but he typically answers one question at a time. Today, he wanted to make sure we were talking about the same part (thus the NBP photo), so I didn't get any of my questions answered. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get pricing info.

Just to be clear, I'm not interested in ordering the JDM cladding. I have no idea what shipping would be or how to package it for reshipping. I'm dealing with small, easy-to-ship stuff first.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
and color. black for me.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apple, You were suppose to keep it a secret!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well... I figure it would be more of a cosmetic mod and only the show guys like me would jump on it...
Believe me, I wanted to keep it a BIG secret and be the only one with the JDM gas door.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and color. black for me.
I'm not sure black will be available. I specifically asked about gray, black, and blue, plus pre-painted ones, but I believe Rocket Dog San indicated the front plastic panels were gray-only. Forever Black paint anyone?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I heard from Yosi. I think it may be a good news/bad news type of thing.

The good news: the price is ¥2772 (about $25.60)

The bad news: he described it as only in gray and called it a "parasitic part". Does this mean used? I hope not, because this may limit the quantity (and condition) we can purchase. I asked him to clarify. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
111 Posts
By "parastic," he may have meant "plastic." His accent may have gotten in the way of the pronunciation. That would be my guess.

Peace.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By "parastic," he may have meant "plastic." His accent may have gotten in the way of the pronunciation. That would be my guess.

Peace.
That's a good thought and you may be correct, but earlier in the email he used the word plastic, so he's at least aware of the word. At work, we often "cannibalize" equipment, taking good parts off bad devices. Maybe "parasitizing" is similar ... like at a salvage yard?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just curious... Did anyone ask any Honda Techs in Ohio about the possibility of Obtaining the JDM parts here ( In the good ol' US of A) ???
Yes, I did. The simple answer is basically their supply chain is primarily set up to support the manufacturing plants and it would take significant effort to supply us with parts that, in Honda's opinion, shouldn't be on the (US) Element in the first place. Also, they would have to revise all the software the distribution centers and dealerships use to order the parts. Bummer.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just curious, how would the door be opened if not a remote release and it doesn't have the thumb slot. Is this done by just pressing your finger behind the door and forcing it open?
If I can't easily open it with my finger, I thought I could attach one part of a Velcro strip do the back if the door very close to where to current fingerhold is and attach the other part of the Velcro strip to my keychain. I'm hoping that sliding that second piece in the gap between the door and the body will cause it to snag the other piece of a Velcro, allowing me to pull it open.

I could also buy the cabling and other parts ($$) and just do it like the JDM model, but do I really want to reach over to the passenger side sill to open the gas door???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts