Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to add the Lo-Jack security option after thinking about it for a couple days post-contract signing. I have never had a security system of any type but thought I would throw it in for the peace of mind. I figure the insurance discount won't hurt and the added keyless entry etc. is just a bonus...I've always had a Jeep Wrangler soft top so plastic windows and zippers were my biggest theft deterant. Any opinions in general on the Lo-Jack option :?:

·
Registered
83 Posts
All models come with an ignition system immobilzer. Do you really think you need more protection? Someone will have to be willing to tow it if the ignition is immobilized.

·
Registered
608 Posts
LoJack....

On the plus side. When someone is taking a car for a joyride, they usually dump the car somewhere when they are done. The lojack will help the police find your vehicle. If someone is going to steal your vehicle and chop it up, or ship it overseas, they will usually dump it somewhere for a few days to wait and see if there is lojack. The police will usually find it within a few days, so the crook will wait to see if the police do find it, if not, they do their thing to it.

On the down side. Not all areas of the US and Canada are lojack ready. Not all police depts have lojack finders. The next question is if you have insurance (yes, I know it will only pay for some of your car, not all of it), do you really want it back? Once they have broken the steering inorder to start the car, punched the lock, maybe trashed the vehicle....there are a lot of things that can happen to your E inbetween when it is taken and when you get it back.

Now, the insurance discount is a good thing. Figure out how much you are going to save, and how long you are going to hold the Element. If you save enough, it is well worth it. If not, you need to think about it.

Just this guys feelings on it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm not sure how lo-jack works, but like RML said, it isn't supported everywhere. But cell phone coverage is huge, if not complete...

Now, my company has a system that uses cellular technology coupled with a GPS device to track vehicles... hmm, I wonder if I should be sharing this... Anyway, the GPS device takes data readings at preset intervals and logs the information into memory. To track the vehicle, you just dial up its cell number via computer modem and download the data. It is then projected onto mapping software to show everywhere the vehicle has been since the last data dump. In addition, you can real-time track as long as you are connected via cell phone. Sorry, not for sale to the general public...

But, it seems like someone would incorporate an in-dash navigation system with a built-in cell phone (Navi-Star does this, right?) that would be able to store data points for a given period of time. The vehicle owner nor the local police department would need to pay the extra expense for tracking hardware and software. But if the vehilce is stolen, the owner would contact the "tracking network" set up by the system manufacturer and give them their system ID. The "tracking network" could then call the vehicle and relay the tracking info to the police for instant retrieval of the vehicle. Of course, the "tracking network" would do this for a fee and that is how they profit from the system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, some great points which made me do some extra research...Long story short, it doesn't look like the service is even covered in the area of VA where I will be moving this summer. And after thinking about the immobilizer, I agree. I have decided to spend the cash on some other goodies.

Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got LoJack (at dealer's cost $695 ) "cause we're 90 minutes from the Mexican border and finding the car quickly might make a big difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know what area you live in, but in California, all highway patrol offices have vehicles equiped with lo-Jack locators. In my experience the do seem to make a big difference, as I have seen numerous vehicles recovered with it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yep, CHP has Lo-Jack enabled in most patrol vehicles except I think motorcycles. Lo-Jack is very standard equipment for urban city police departments in CA.

I know because I'm communications systems solutions provider/intergrator.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Who would steal an Element? Thieves steal either for saleable parts, to look cool as they drive through the hood, for transportation in their next bank robbery, or to transport illegals from the border north. The E is probably the last car slimbags would want to steal.

Save your money.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Be aware that two years after getting the car and Lo-Jack you have to opportunity to buy an extended warranty on the Lo-Jack. The warranty is on the equipment that the installer hid someplace on your car. Without the extension, the system still works, but Lo-Jack won't pay for replacing it if the car gets stolen and the device does not work :) I haven't quite figured that one out.

paulj

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just because you have lo-jack does not mean you will get your car back a friend of mine got his denali stolen and lo-jack could not find it......he never recovered his car.....

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
TaILoIN said:
Just because you have lo-jack does not mean you will get your car back a friend of mine got his denali stolen and lo-jack could not find it......he never recovered his car.....
The 'pros' know how to defeat Lo-Jack. Heck, even I knew how to defeat Lo-Jack the day they announced it a gazillion years ago.

But, then, at that time I happened to be in the business of designing a similar radiolocation technology. :roll:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lo-Jack is a deterrent just like a alarm system. I don't have lo-jack but I have a highly modified Viper 7xxxx alarm system linked to an mobile radio to boost signal.

I also have the Viper modified to output data to send wirelessly via cellphone to my server which then sends alerts to my PDA phone.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I bought the lojack because I figure that some rice-rodder would be interested in the vtech engine. Who knows. Just doing what I can to keep my Orange Krate!

·
Registered
74 Posts
phantomspook said:
Lo-Jack is a deterrent just like a alarm system. I don't have lo-jack but I have a highly modified Viper 7xxxx alarm system linked to an mobile radio to boost signal.

I also have the Viper modified to output data to send wirelessly via cellphone to my server which then sends alerts to my PDA phone.
Anyone with half a brain could find and disable your oh-so-complicated system in a matter of moments.
Lo-jack is not really much of a deterrent because it is usually installed stealth-like with no warning stickers or anything. It is just a way to help the police recover your vehicle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The aux battery does help. Rarely see people install them. I always liked the idea of replacing all of the alarm harness wires with black. Makes it harder to figure out which wires to cut or pull fuses out of.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The viper is mainly a deterent and so Im alerted to movement or contact of my vehicle. If they really want my car, they would get it.

I'm working on a remote pepperspray/oc dispersal system to use as crap hits the fan clearing......say i see some thugs checking out my car:) Fox Labs makes a very nice 16oz OC spray that can be retrofitted.

·
Registered
74 Posts
phantomspook said:
The viper is mainly a deterent and so Im alerted to movement or contact of my vehicle. If they really want my car, they would get it.

I'm working on a remote pepperspray/oc dispersal system to use as crap hits the fan clearing......say i see some thugs checking out my car:) Fox Labs makes a very nice 16oz OC spray that can be retrofitted.
Prepare for a hefty lawsuit from anyone that might get pepper-sprayed!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not if your a reserve deputy or officer:) This would be used in discretion as in cases where I happen to drive or parked in a bad area and thugs come up to my vehicle. Sounding the yelp or airhorn would attract rock throwing so this is a good counter measure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts