Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are expecting next month and was wondering if anyone out there has a cheap way to shade the rear sunroof? we'll have our little one there next month!

I am in the bay area Ca. I didn't want to pay the $48 or so for the one for sale from another thread on this forum.

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
You can always add more tint on it. My wife and son used to complain that it got too hot on those bright summer days. I got some "limo" tint and put it on myself. It made a big difference.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
My wife and I are expecting next month and was wondering if anyone out there has a cheap way to shade the rear sunroof? we'll have our little one there next month!

I am in the bay area Ca. I didn't want to pay the $48 or so for the one for sale from another thread on this forum.
In the Club Store we are selling a Sunshade for $39.99 with free ups shipping... :)

Or you can go to Wally World or similar place and purchase Limo Tint and put it on yourself.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Here's my thread on this . . .

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46701&highlight=rear+sunroof+axis

I purchased a few and think I may have some extra somewhere stored in my garage so let me know if you can't find it locally. I also had the glass tinted by a local shop for about $25 and it is fine for the winter months when I don't need the extra protection from the Axius shade.

Edit: Just was at BigLots this morning and they were selling them for either $4 or $5; if you have one in your area you may want to check, because I think someone else here found them at Walmart for close to $10.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If done right, diy cling-on tinting can look pretty good. You would have control over how dark you wanted to go.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Home depot or lowes had some Gila indoor privacy window film, we bought them to do our basement windows to keep people from looking in.

They make one for auto and home. We already had the home one so I used that on the E and had no problems. I just wanted to help keep the kids from being blasted in the back and to help keep the car from heating up so much in summer.

·
12,180 Posts
I bought a piece of foam baord from staples. Cut it to the shape of the rear glass and used a couple of suction cups to hold it in place.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here's my thread on this . . .

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46701&highlight=rear+sunroof+axis

I purchased a few and think I may have some extra somewhere stored in my garage so let me know if you can't find it locally. I also had the glass tinted by a local shop for about $25 and it is fine for the winter months when I don't need the extra protection from the Axius shade.

Edit: Just was at BigLots this morning and they were selling them for either $4 or $5; if you have one in your area you may want to check, because I think someone else here found them at Walmart for close to $10.
I picked one up last month @walmart for $5. Not into the real hear of summer yet, but I think it should be fine.
By the way - love your new avatar Popemobile!

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
I'd try adding this cling film to the skylight. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=65841-74130-CDB78&detail=&lpage=none It's readily available, inexpensive, blocks most of the UV and reflects about half the visible and IR light. Added to the skylight tint, it should help quite a bit in reducing heat gain. (The roll has enough material for 3 skylights or one large window.) If that isn't sufficient adding an Axius 40504 window shade will knock the level down even more without completely eliminating all the light. (I think I got these ideas originally here in the EOC)

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Here's a super deal on film, 19"+ x 9'+ at Harbor Freight, under $5 with tools. I's not very dark, but it will knock down heat and UV. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94330&r=4817_187554.

Another option is what's called dot matrix static cling film. It's more expensive but it goes on dry and is re-usable. http://cgi.ebay.com/24"-x-48"-Stati...lm-Black-_W0QQitemZ250293039181QQcmdZViewItem

If you choose to install film on your skylight be lazy (and smart). Remove the skylight, work on a table indoors and take your time. It makes fitting and cutting much simpler. I wish I'd had that option when installing my above AS1 line windshield strip.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
$25 for 5% tint. Can't beat it.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
$25 for 5% tint. Can't beat it.
It depends on whether you want the skylight muted or nearly opaque.

Whatever film you apply has a multiplier effect when you apply it to an existing tinted panel, so if the existing tint transmits 35%, 5% on top of that transmits .05x.35= 0.0175 or 1.75% of the incident light. Midday sun is reduced to dawn levels.

There is one problem using a low transmisson black film rather than a silver reflective film on the inside. It would convert UV and visible light directly to infrared and either re-radiate it in all directions or reflect kost of it it back into the tinted skylight panel, which reflect the IR back into the vehicle. It's the greenhouse effect, the heat can't escape from inside the vehicle.

It's not likely to crack the skylight, but it will heat the vehicle just like a solar collector. This is why when nearly opaque dark films are installed on houses they are put on the outermost clear layer of glass, otherwise the heat blocking property of the film isn't just negated, it works in reverse.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took the sunroof off and traced a piece of cardboard that I had in the garage and put it back on, and now I have complete shade inside with the cardboard that actually stays in place.

I traced with a sharpie, and it worked perfectly and fit really good as well, best of all, it was free and took a few minutes to do and my son is completely shaded now!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know you're looking for alternative but the shade that they sell here is actually pretty good. I am happy with it. I was looking for alternative as well because I don't want to spend $40 for a shade but it was pain in the b$tt and every time we went out I couldn't stand looking at my kids got tortured by the sun so I decided to get it.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I have added the Honda factory roof screen at the time of purchase in 2006. This reduces the amount of light quite a bit, and then you don't have to mess with making something. It is great for keeping some of the light, and just cutting it down by 50% or more. This way you have the option of removing it at will with simple snaps on the edges.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what do you mean??? What I did took 10 minutes, shades the sunroof area 100% from light, I can take it out in 2 seconds and best of all, cost me nothing to make!

If anyone wants to do it on the cheap, just:

take the sunroof off

get a big enough piece of cardboard, lay it on the cardboard uspide down. and trace over it with a sharpie.

then use a sharp cutter and cut around and trim it until it fits correctly going around the opening latch.

put the sunroof back on, go inside the car with the cardboard, slip it in and slide it under the rubber just enough til it stays and your done!

You will have to trim it til it fits right but what you will end up with is complete shade for the inside and its perfect if you have kids or a newborn!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I had talked to a window tint place about tinting the sunroof in my wife's Forester and the guy said he wouldn't do it because it could heat the glass up so much that it could shatter. It's happened to him before and he won't do it. Just an FYI for those of you who park in the sun.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought these: Magic Sunshade

You can't beat the price, $5, and mine have a pretty blue hibiscus print on the underside that my son loves to look up at. You only need to use one but it fits most of the sky light except for around a couple of the corners. You can get these at any auto parts stores and I even bet you could find them at Walmart.

I would love to do the tint but in my area no professional will do it and I pretty much suck at it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts